• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb problem tonight

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Went to leave the parking lot and knew something was wrong......found gas flowing into the airbox thru the hose that attached to the airbox from the carb.......cylinder quit running (not getting gas)......

What makes gas backflow thru that air tube??????

Thank you for the help........I know little of carbs

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Pull carbs off, clean them out, dirt or ice in that carb. Check the check valve as well under the floats...

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
1. Ok, so I will buy some carb cleaner and spray the inside of the carbs.

2. I'll look at the check valve also.

I replaced the jet needle because I found it was bow'ed......any thoughts?

Anything to be aware or?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
By check valve, I imagine Marv is referring to the needle and seat assembly. Perhaps yours is stuck open, so that carb is getting too much fuel.

As for the bowed needle, I can only speculate/pose questions as I've never run into that before. Are the slides super loose in the bores? Do you have the E-clip on the very top slot of the needle (effectively makes needle longer, more susceptible to missing the needle jet upon closure of the slide, which would cause it to bend/snap).

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
The clip is in the middle position as origionally. I can feel the needle rising and falling. I will tear open the carb tonight and see what I can find... WRONG: the clip was in the middle position #3 - but stock is position #2 which is better for my location and riding elevations....making the change.

Last edited:
J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Ok, SO I followed the service manual and cleaned the carbs. WOW, what a difference. Solved the issues, and runs great......Was very easy to do.

For anyone avoiding this procedure......just take your time and follow the manual...worked great. Thank you to everyone who helped.

two symptoms we had:

1. at idle, Gas/oil pouring out of pipe, one cylinder would not run

2. one carb spilling gas into the airbox via the vent tube.

3. we also found a bow'ed jet needle...did not fix other two issues which happened separately. all symptoms were sudden.

Last edited:
Premium Features