• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Momentary 3K RPM's after stopping.

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
Hello,
Sled is a 03 800 rmk..when I stop the idle holds at 3000 rpms for less than 10 seconds then drops to normal 1.5K.

What can cause this?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
slightly lean on the idle circuit. Try backing the fuel screws out 1/8 turn at a time. They're the white capped screws on the right side of each carb. Or you could thread the air screws in 1/8 turn at a time, they're harder to reach. I'm not sure if there is a "proper" route to go, fuel screw out or air in, to fatten up the idle circuit, but either way has worked for me.

G
Feb 22, 2010
As goinboardin suggested, usually due to a slight lean condition. This may be more evident after coming to a stop after a hard run with the pipe hot. It the issue is intermittent as opposed to a regular occurrence, I would just give the choke a quick flip and that usually settles the rpms down right away

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
My vertical escape does the same thing after hard runs.
Tried to adjust it but lost to much midrange response.
So i leaned it out again.
Like go2sno mentioned, a quick flip with the choke brings the rpm down.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I would check for air leaks then.

Two seasons back I corrected my hanging idle. All was well. Last spring it returned. I checked carb boots, PTO crank seal, reeds, exhaust for leaks. All was good there. Turned out my MAG crank seal was shredded, lost the main crank bearing and and leaned out that piston (JUNK!).

Premium Features