• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boondocking with edge x

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Is it a stumble bog or flat out dies? Side hilling and donuts on one particular side or both?

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Sounds like a carb issue. I thought it might just be a powder bog but not the way your describing it. Almost sounds like it is loading up and flooding out.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I've heard of fuel pickup lines breaking off inside the tank.
Is it loading up or is it starved for fuel? Easier to start after putting choke on or easier to start after holding throttle wide open & pulling? Does it smoke more than normal when it starts running again?

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
took plugs out and they were almost black but not that wet so i cranked it over without them in it then put them in and it started. did seem like it was loaded up. i will take it out tomorrow and try to figure out if it is loading up or starving for fuel. then go from there

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
cleaned carbs and rode this weekend and it is loading up and running real bad when ever i run in deep snow, could a clutch hanging up cause this? or maybe exhaust valves

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
When you say deep snow do you mean over the hood. Heat soak would cause it to bog and act like it is flooding. Sounds to mean that it is getting too much fuel. New needle and sete maybe a float sticking. Power valves are mainly a low- mid range issue.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Heat soaking, intakes sucking snow, snow deflector broken off for exhaust.

If exhaust valves are sticking/torn bellows that hurts top end and midrange, no effect bottom end. That easy to check though, pull valves, are they clean & travel in jug bore freely? Are they leaking a gooey mess (if yes, replace the respective bellows). Valve issues would show up on trail too.

Worn clutch would hurt performance but should hurt performance on trail & deep. This is one of the most overlooked performance items on a snowmobile though, so give them a good inspection. Check for worn weight pin bushings (these 800's eat them for breakfast), if they're really bad the weights hit the spider and you can see it with a close look.

Is there a bunch of snow building up under hood and against pipe(s)? If yes, build vents that don't let snow in. Even expanded metal is better than nothing.

Could raise the needles one E clip and check.

Last edited:
M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
there was never any snow built up under hood and the breather filters were clean most of the time. i just cleaned the exhaust valves, they didnt look bad at all . dont see anything wrong with the clutches but i am going to put new springs in tomorrow and then take it out and test it

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
When you replace the clutch springs inspect the primary thoroughly. It can be easy to miss the marks left on the spider when the weights hit it. The weights will have slop on the pin if they're bad.

Do you have a big snow deflector for the exhaust?

When did this poor deep snow running start?

T
Dec 25, 2007
Clean up the exhaust valves for sure. If the plugs are black there is a really good chance they are sticking....

Also any difference left vs right when you bog down and die?

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
started two weekends ago. plugs look good now that i have new ones in it. but i didnt stop and check them when it was running bad,i checked them after running on trail to get back to truck

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
well i got the new springs and time to go for a ride. ran great, could not get it to run bad in the powder. the snow conditions were way different, snow has settled a lot. but for now i am going to say it was the new springs. it was a lot harder to open secondary clutch to put belt on with the new spring

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Thanks for reporting back. I hope that was it. A sacked secondary spring would open prematurely and load the motor incorrectly, causing a bog.

Premium Features