• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about normal wear/ missing torn lugs and track damage.

D
Sep 30, 2012
I am curious if a sled with 1,800 miles (looking to buy an 03' RMK 700 144") with multiple torn lugs is normal wear? Has this sled been abused or maybe someone disconnected the odometer? The sled also had rusted out and ruined pipe and can and damaged hi fax.

These things seem excessive wear for a sled with 1,800 miles.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
well....that depends on were your located, Low snow riding will account for a few torn lugs and the roasted hyfaxs. location also for rusted pipe,but also leads too lots of trailering in salted road conditions and lack of regular cleaning! The rust out would lead me to suspect that you may find bad bearings from salt intrusion,etc.... But on the flip side torn lugs could also mean somebody was romping on it in dry conditions.... My 2003 RMK 700 144 has just a tad over 7,400mi's on it and still has about 98% of the lugs.But I never ride mine in low snow conditions(if the snow ain't deep enough to ride off trail I don't go LOL:face-icon-small-ton)Wish my hood was still 98% percent 7,400mi's in the mountains has been a bit hard on the old hood I think she's more ny-ties than hood nowa days:bounce:(worst part is I have a new hood hanging in my shop:face-icon-small-fro)

By all means this is all speculation with out actually seeing the sled in person

I would just look it over reeeaallly close Look at the rails make sure there not bent/burned out from running dry. Check the running boards out to make sure they don't droop (meaning the sled has been jumped/wrecked) And the number one is CHECK the compression!!!!!!!!:suspicious:

Just hit us up with any questions you have, and we will be glad to help you out!:face-icon-small-hap

hope my ramblings help!!

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Mileage is not the primary determining factor... yes, it can help you pin-point pontential problem areas such as worn clutches, idler wheel bearings nearing the end of their life, etc..... BUT, how the sled is treated and cared for means way much more than mileage. I have an Ultra SKS with over 3000 miles that looks like it came off of the showroom floor last year. (I'm the 3rd owner) However, I have a buddy with a same year MXz 670 with only 600 miles that looks like it has been through ten owners and 10,000 miles. (He bought it new btw.) So, if the sled truely has 1800 miles, it has been some hard miles, with little care to the machine. I would look deeper, into things like clutches, bearings, chaincase maintenance, etc... things that could potentially leave you stranded. I've seen tracks with thousands of miles on them, with minimal wear. In the same token, I've seen tracks with only a few hundred miles with multiple torn lugs from spinning the track on rocks, stumps, logs, etc.... Mileage doesn't tell the whole story. Broken sled speedo cables are common, so sometimes you take the mileage on the speedo with a grain of salt, cause the condition of the sled will or may tell you the true story.

Any used sled is only as good as the previous owners have treated/ridden it, and maintained it. A well beat/worn sled with 1000 miles is gonna be worth less, in my opinion, than a sled that is impeccably maintained and well cared for with 4000 miles.

Anytime you are buying used- Inspect the sled carefully, look for potential problems, ask around if you are unsure- and get an educated opinion. Research what similar sleds are selling for, then pay accordingly.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Hey Your ramblings threaded nicely with mine between the two I think we got a great rambling going on here...LOL:bounce::bounce::bounce:

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Check the cylinder compression. Look inside the plug holes with a flashlight and see whether he burned the pistons or whether they have a tiny clean spot on one edge like they should have. Edge hyfax last 20,000 miles if you ride the sled on snow. Does the engine sound tight and is slow to rev up? If it does, the crank bearings may be about ready to seize. You should also be looking at changing all of the bearings in the suspension and driveshaft. Rebuilding shocks and putting in new plastic grommets. How many pulls does it take to start when cold. If more than 3, then you need to rebuild the fuel pump. 144 tracks are not really considered powder tracks. So what kind of riding are you intending to do?

D
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks for your help 'whoisthatguy'. I ended up buying another sled, this one just seemed to sketchy. I will remember this stuff for the future. I did buy a 700 144 Edge RMK and I ride some trails, some off trail powder and some mild hill climbs, but nothing too crazy.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
"..144 tracks are not really considered powder tracks.."

I remember a time when a 136 1 1/2" was considered a mountain powder track.... Dang, my age is showing again!

ANY time I buy a used sled with a dubious history, I completely go through EVERY bearing in the skid-frame and jack/drive shafts, along with a complete inspection of the fuel system, and a tear-down of the top end. I do not like walking.......

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Yup lol I also remember when 136" was a hard hitter for the mountains! I will actually admit to still have a 680 ultra RMK in my stable with the old 136 on it!(but the 153 is rolled up next to it awaiting me having time to install it)... Oh yeah and checking the bearings in the skid is an awsome Idea, the guy behind you will apricate not getting hit by a bogie wheel doing 60.....(ask me How I know...........):face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features