• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

100k vs 24k maps

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
just bought a garmin gpsmapCx.

I am looking on the garmin site for a map and they offer 100k and 24k versions. Just wondering if the 100k maps are ok for sledding vs the higher detail 24k maps.

thanx.

W

wyodoo

Dec 1, 2007
gillette wyoming
Maps

No
You want the 24K maps. They are really detailed for the terrain. I have a unit just like yours and it works good. The only probleb is the Micro SD cards and the slot they fit into. I have to put a piece of paper or tissue on top if the card holder or else it gets jarred loose during the ride and looses the detailed TOPO map readings. The card holder for that unit resides under the batteries in a flimsey little tray.
If you buy the 24K map I suggest you buy it on the CD as you get more coverage area. Just buy a big enough Micro SD to fit it all.
Hope this helps.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
IM IRRITATED WITH GARMIN for there inability to see that people who ride in colorado also ride in wyoming! Why should I have to buy two sets of 24 K maps to ride the snowies and rabbitt ears PO's me I should be able to buy one 24K map for the entire west and one for the east,

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
24K for sure. I load just the state I am riding in. Don't need an SD card then, just use the internal memory and 1 state doesn't even fill that. Use the map installer program available for free from Garmin. Or use the Basecamp program available free from Garmin to use your data from rides.

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
Definitely 24k. I have a rino 655t that came with the 100k maps pre-loaded, and I loaded the 24k maps for my state and elsewhere on the internal memory (and I can switch back and forth), and they are far more detailed. Well worth getting the 24k maps.

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
sorry to hijack, if the 24k maps are that much better, why would you use the 100k maps. im lookn to buy soon and now im thinkn buy one with out preloaded maps and just get 24k. am i wrong to think this?

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
sorry to hijack, if the 24k maps are that much better, why would you use the 100k maps. im lookn to buy soon and now im thinkn buy one with out preloaded maps and just get 24k. am i wrong to think this?

this is something I was thinking about too... I originally was going to get the 655t, but I'm not too concerned with having a camera. I usually have my cell, and my go pro, and if I'm gonna want the 24k maps, then why spend the extra money to get the 100k maps and a camera I'll probably not use? Otherwise the 650, and the 655t are basically identical...

ok, found out the other difference... the 655 has a lot more memory on the device, 4.5 gig. the 650 has 1.7.

and for reference, I'm in washington, and the northwest 24k topo map is 1.5 gig from garmin.

Last edited:
S
Dec 9, 2009

I did the same, bought the regular Montana 600 instead of the 600t with topo. I have already downloaded the topo maps from the site named above and they are real nice.

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
24k dvd

I just got two rink 650 for myself and my dad. we are looking at getting the topo maps and I know I want the 24k. If I buy the DVD version will I be able to put it on both gps or will it be locked for 1?

Thanks

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
If you go that way you'll have to buy one for each... I'd go to the page earlier in this thread and download the one you need. Its free...

Premium Features