• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 m8 hcr suspension set up for wife

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Hoping you wonderful ladies could place some needed input into a set up that will work best for my buddies wife. This will be her first trip ever into the western rockies on a new to her sled and I want to make sure the sled is set up suspension wise correct for her.

I'm really not sure how to best suite her needs. Here is what I am thinking:
She is 160# all geared up
skis narrow
Front ski shocks around 50#'s
limiter strap out all the way
1/2" thread on fts
80-90-#'s in rts

Thinking this could be a good baseline for her but I could be way off. I am assuming that most ladies find it necessary to adjust the suspension simply because of weight differences. My setup at 220#'s can't be the best it is for someone 60#'s lighter...

Thanks for your help,
papa

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
If you EVER want your wife to have sex with you again, DITCH THE FOX FLOATS.

That is the worst excuse for a shock ever and it will literally beat your wife's back so bad she will probably divorce you over making her ride a sled with such a miserable excuse for a shock absorber on it.

Get her a custom-built set of Exit shocks and have a happy marriage.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Wow really nice. Good thing it's not my wife then. Buddy of mine though and I am going o set up the baseline suspensions tomorrow before they leave. Any input besides scrapping the entire rear skid would be much appreciated.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Wow really nice. Good thing it's not my wife then. Buddy of mine though and I am going o set up the baseline suspensions tomorrow before they leave. Any input besides scrapping the entire rear skid would be much appreciated.

oh wow didn't see the part about it not being your wife.

ah well same deal unless you don't like the dude :)

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
I'd say you have a pretty good handle on it. I would imagine she's not going far from the trail, so loose in the front will be easier on her arms. My front floats are at 45#s, and rear at 75#s.

If she's riding any pow off trail I'd suggest taking the limiters up a notch otherwise it might be too hard to control.

Good on you for setting it up for her. It could be the difference between her hating the sport and falling in love with it!

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
I agree with PP, you're in the ball park for her for sure. My '11 they were at 50-55 front and 85 rear. She's a bit bigger, but still should be good.
Good on you for doing this for her, so many don't and it makes such a difference for the rider :D

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I agree with PP, you're in the ball park for her for sure. My '11 they were at 50-55 front and 85 rear. She's a bit bigger, but still should be good.
Good on you for doing this for her, so many don't and it makes such a difference for the rider :D

just want to make sure she has the best time possible. Set her up with my pack and avy gear as well as showing them how to use it. Softened her front shocks as well as the rear. Left the from possibly a bit stiff just because I don't want to see her disappear in a hole and have the front collapse and not recover for her. I explained all of this to her husband and let him know that depending on how she is riding he may want to soften the front and possibly the rear beyond the settings I gave her. I sure hope she enjoys it and improves her riding skillls while gaining a understanding and appreciation of the mountains that her husband and I LOVE!!!!

Thanks for all your input,
Papa

Premium Features