• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Ski and Board racks for your sled

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
for hauling boards i've always used the same technique... 1 big black bungee strap from one of the running board holes, over the nose of the board (but close to the front binding), over the back of the seat, to a running board hole on the opposite side (works for 1 or 2 boards). then i pick a spot further back on the running board (near the gas rack) and dill a good size hole through the running board, out near the rail edge on either side. run another big black rubber bungee from the new rail edge hole to the gas rack for 1 board, or right over to the other rail edge hole for 2 boards.

boards are held in very tight, and i've never had any damage.

if i remember right, the forward bungee is 24" and the rear one is 18". these bungees are strong and durable and i've never broken one. but don't bother trying this with the nylon bungees. the hooks are weak and the cords break very easily.

total cost is around $5 :face-icon-small-hap and there is no extra equipment on your sled getting in your way.

so far this has worked with my old 670 summit, a buddies zx summit, and my m7. from what i've see of the xp and rev tunnels, i doubt there would be any problems. but with the dragons, and newer (or updated) cats that have the rail edge footrest thing that goes up to the top of the tunnel, you are gonna need a rack, like above, that gets up above it.

ps. wicked topic, and wicked forum section. yeah dude.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I have a backcountry blog that may be of interest to some of you since I ski and snowmobile.
www.avalanche1tv.com

avalanche1 on Facebook.

I review ski and snowmobile gear. Any input would be much appreciated.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
I use my backpack 75% of the time. Longer rides I've got the gun mounts on my 2000 RMK. If I'm lazy I just strap my bindings onto the gas tank rank on my tunnel. Board is parallel to sled(like with a backpack) but takes about 3 seconds to mount on sled.

This year I ended up not even buying the gun racks. Every trip I simply strapped my skis (hellbents) onto the sled with the stretchy voile/backcountry/black diamond style straps. Worked great, rolled the sled on two occasions and one occasion was multiple rolls with zero damage and the skis remained on the sled. I'll look around for a picture or video of it, but the 05-07 m-series is set up very well from the factory for the skis to just be strapped on. Probably wouldn't work with a snowboard as well.

R
Oct 18, 2010
Just ordered 2 pair of these (doing 2 sleds)

2001761701p

Going to use one on the rear, and one on the tunnel, should work out proper :) 16.99 for a pair too

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
I broke one of the arms in the V shape that holds the board.. I think this was after a few dozen roll overs over a few years ;)

shoot, i need to get another set! winter is creeeeeeepin!

B
Apr 8, 2011
Seattle, Wa
I have a 10' M8 and I'm looking for the right set up. Was price the biggest difference in you going with the X-rack and the Cheetah setup? There are a ton of options out there and I'm hoping to not have to spend another fortune to get out there and get after it.

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
Another vote for the DIY route. It's easy and cheap. I did add some cut up pieces of a plastic cutting board to help give support to the tunnel and protect the edges and stuff...

Sent from my Droid, using Tapatalk, while driving through a school zone doing 70... please excuse any typos!

Attachments

• IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0258.jpg
    IMAG0258.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMAG0254.jpg
    IMAG0254.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
R
Oct 18, 2010
Found them online using a google search for "atv gun racks"

They didnt work very well, the small side is actually super flimsy and they needed straps added to even hold the board.

Swapping out for the ones most others used. I ended up using 2 per sled, and had to add a strap for the center as well as an extra strap on the rear gun mount. the board is not held on solid without the extra strap and it looks kinda silly with the extra strap on the back and on the center. Ill post pics when i finish it all up. It works, but not nearly as good as the other racks

Air_time24

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2009
Nelson BC
www.facebook.com
The gun racks used in the example "Mad Dog ATV Single Rack" appear to be out of stock everywhere online, Anyone tried another rack on an M Series that's still for sale online?

Also having a hell of a time finding these. . Any other brand seem to be working for the M-Series? My ski's want to come sledding with me!

snwbrdr726

Lifetime Membership
Sep 29, 2011
Eagle, CO
My DYI Board Rack

Thanks for all the advice folks. I think this one will be pretty bomber. I will keep you posted if its not.

Attachments

• IMAG1352.jpg
    IMAG1352.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAG1351.jpg
    IMAG1351.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAG1350.jpg
    IMAG1350.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG1349.jpg
    IMAG1349.jpg