• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adrenaline vs. Fear

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
I read somewhere once that women, differently than men base their feelings on past experiences, we're not as able to retry something that we didn't accomplish the last time........so I believe in some cases fear is stirred up by memories??
For me, my fear stems from being a Mamma. It's just me, but everything I look at doing snowmobiling or otherwise...I see my kids, think what would they do without me, or if I was hurt, who's gonna pick up the pieces........I guess my fear comes from the consequences........is it worth it??

I can also say I have good days, and bad days...some days it's no fear, all fun......other days I could have tears well up just going down a trail! Ugggh those hormones..........er somethin! lol

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Powderpilot explain what you mean, I know I had a instance a few weeks ago, that I hit a huge jump and don't remember the in air part, but the landing was a tad rough....lol Rode it out though...

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
Haha, yeah, that's what I meant. Hope you're OK, and caught it on camera ;)

I totally blackout.... Maybe thought process is gone, and instinct takes over. It seems to last a bit beyond the initial adrenaline rush though.

L

live2ride

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 11, 2001
Gillette, WY
www.kristyharnish.com
Haha, yeah, that's what I meant. Hope you're OK, and caught it on camera ;)

I totally blackout.... Maybe thought process is gone, and instinct takes over. It seems to last a bit beyond the initial adrenaline rush though.

LOL, NO I did not get it on camera.....typical......:) YIKES totally blacking out isn't good, I wonder if you quit breathing? I used to do it when I got scared and would do the completely blacking out...urgh....Kinda scary when you think about it.

F
Aug 24, 2011
Great discussion!

I'm a 'new again' rider. I grew up in Alaska, doing mostly flatout speed races on frozen lakes, not a lot of mountain riding. Now I live in Washington, and started dating a guy a couple of years ago that rides. I've been riding borrowed sleds for 2 years now, and this year I'm (finally) in a position to buy my own. I'm looking forward to seat time on the same machine and seeing if that helps with some of the fear/adrenaline. I'm also a gymnast, so I think alot of the same mental attitude applies. There is that point when you just have to throw your heart over an obstacle and jump out after it. Mountain riding is way different than flat, that's for sure! I'd love to hear what you gals have done in your offseason time to educate yourself for the next ride!:whoo:

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
Come to the premier this weekend and you will meet a TON of lady riders and we can talk about all of this stuff over some beers! Welcome to Washington!! Beautiful state with some KILLER scenery!

Get on over to throttlechix.com too for linking up with other ladies, sledding area is dead right now but it will start picking up. Welcome to the site!

W

whitegold46

Mar 3, 2008
Smithers, B.C.
The more I think about this subject the more I think what I have is also fear. I always have the what if's in the back of my mind. I think of my little kids at home often and what would happen if I got hurt. Well now I know, because I have been hurt, but not REALLY hurt and that's what I fear. The what if's???? I know that's something that may or may not happen but I guess I'm not a risk taker for that reason. I brought others into my life that I'm responsible for and use them as my excuse. :face-icon-small-win haha.. I think if it were just me and I didn't have little ones depending on me, I would reach for that adrenaline. I like the feeling of it, but can't take that risk.

Wise words!! Every time you do something that you are not comfortable with you take a risk.... you have to weigh out that risk. I rode with a guy that took a risk and broke his back.... I rode with a guy that said it would never happen to him.... he died 2 years ago.... I got caught in an avalanche, but I survived.... I think twice before I push the envelope.... it can go bad, and it can happen to you!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Great Topic

Ladies, (if you don't mind a guy's perspective)

It's all adrenalin, what you're really talking about is fear vs excitement because whenever we face something potentially dangerous or risky we get a rush of that wonderful hormone that sharpens our senses and quickens our reactions. The difference between the two, I think, boils down to confidence level.

Let's say you're dropping a cornice for the very first time...a 20 footer, you're probably going to be scared. Not paralyzed with fear but scared because your brain is analyzing the "what if's" and what the consequences could be....What if I land wrong and go over the bars? What if there's rock just under the snow? What if I get hurt? Then if you have fear it's tied directly to what you think the chances are that something bad happens.

So there you are on the lip, looking down with a gut full of butterflies wondering "Can I do it? I think I can do it? I'm pretty sure I'm ready to do it. I want to do it. Man it so cool to do it. Screw it! I'm doin' it!"

Then maybe you talk yourself through the steps, you goose the throttle, your eyes get huge under your goggles as you pass the point-of-no-return and there you are...flying...for a second. Then WUMPF!! You hit the pow and maybe you smack your knee into the cowling because you didn't power out enough but you did it!!

You dropped your first cornice! And now whatever fear you had it GONE and you race up the hill and do it it again and again and again, and confidence erases fear as you gain experience. Now all you have is excitement because you KNOW you've mastered this maneauver.

Then you move up to a 40 footer and you start all over again.

Premium Features