• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1/2 Ton Diesel

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Just wanted to throw my .02 in here. I bought one of the very first Ram Ecodiesels when they came on the market in 2014. Mine currently has a little over 100k and has been great truck. My reason for posting is just to give my side of what the appeal of these 1/2 diesels is. Mine gets real world 20-22 city mpg... and that is with me mostly stomping on it everywhere and gets 26-31 hiway going 70-75. My buddy has a 16 with the 3.5 eco and there is no comparison in terms of raw acceleration. But while towing they are pretty similar. I routinely get 16-17 towing my 3 place enclosed at 70mph also. I don't think I could go back to a gasser and be stuck getting 10mpg pulling a trailer again. All that said these trucks are like any other half ton and they are happiest pulling around 5k lbs.

I
Dec 21, 2016
I love my duramax. That being said if I didn't want/need the pulling power and suspension capibility of a HD 3/4-1ton I would not own a diesel. The 3.5 turbo ford and 6.2 GM are amazingly powerful engines both fun to drive and pull well beyond the capability of a 1/2 ton suspension IMO. Fuel economy is similar. I don't think it makes sense to pay more up front, more for maintenance, and around half a dollar more a gallon for fuel.

Agreed; for a half ton, either of those two engines would be my choice as well for the same reasons.

Premium Features