• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strange Question...

L
Aug 30, 2011
As the owners of two sport quads(2012 Raptor 700,2012 YFZ450 carb)me and my brother have been enjoy these summer toys for the past eight years.The first winter for the YFZ we noticed the motor oil would develop condensation in the breathers to a point where it would turn the engine oil a bit milky.That was the first and last winter it was used in that season(mothballed in Nov,woke it April:face-icon-small-hap from now on).Just wondering how do you guys on the fourstroke 450s snowbikes keep the moisture out of your engine oil with all that snow hitting the engine cases?Just curious.........

Last edited:

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Breather

I took the breather tube off the carb plugged the carb port, routed it up over the eng to the primary chain. Don’t know why for sure but stopped all water/ oil problems. Some put a filter on the end and mount it somewhere. This would be nessary if u were to ride in dirty conditions. Snow no dirt. Putting it on the chain makes no diff,just helps keep it oiled. CLEAN OIL.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ENGINE TEMP

the excess moisture is a result of your motor running toooo cold. Install a water temp gauge and keep the engine antifreeze operating temp above 150 degrees. You likely have a thermo stat ? But, in cold snow your engine tempature isn't getting close to temps for your thermostat to have any effect.

So, like the snow bikes, turn off your fan, cover a radiator, cover the bottom of your engine to keep the snow from sucking the heat out of your motor. Watch the temps, you'll figure it out.

Premium Features