• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Buildup

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
They do help on snow/ice reduction, and look alot more finished. The last non painting rails I had looked really oxidized after just two seasons.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I have had both and the painted are far better. Where you can really tell is the running boards, a couple stomps and the snow and ice is gone vs raw aluminum. I would trash a pair of boots in a season kicking snow and ice buildup off the raw aluminum. It would be hard for me to go back now after having painted ones.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I have had both and the painted are far better. Where you can really tell is the running boards, a couple stomps and the snow and ice is gone vs raw aluminum. I would trash a pair of boots in a season kicking snow and ice buildup off the raw aluminum. It would be hard for me to go back now after having painted ones.

I agree with this. Painted tunnel, rails, spindles, a-arms are all well worth it.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Bare aluminum will hold snow in various conditions more so than painted. I have vinyl wrapped my tunnel but the boards still hold more snow on cold days compared to painted equivalent sleds.

I also find bare rails look like crap after a season from hauling on sled decks, the road grime gets on them and no matter how quickly you try and clean them it still oxidizes the metal.

Premium Features