• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thumb Throttle

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
This might be the dumbest question ever but is there any reason you could use a thumb throttle on a snowbike?

I don't see any reason to, just wondering if anyone has tried it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have a thumb throttle on my dirt bike. I grew up on sleds and raced quads for 10 years before getting my first dirt bike so I was just more comfortable with it.

C

clark54

Apr 23, 2008
Missoula, Montana
Would have to ditch the return or closing throttle cable on the 4 strokes. Wouldn't be an issue in the dirt but I don't think I would want to get rid of it with the snow and ice build up. It's nice to be able to roll the throttle off and guarantee it is actually closing. :juggle:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm going to try it on my snowbike.

3b824f09eec64cd28610f7b330695ee3.jpg

Along with a few other heresy's

R
Apr 18, 2016
It definitely looks as though you are doing whatever the hell you want anyway so why not run a thumb throttle? I love the extra spring for the fork setup....that's one way to increase the rate for sure!!!! Crazy looking ride, would love to see more pictures and how you like it when completed. Flip the finger, run the thumb.

Q

Quadracer37

Jan 7, 2015
We have 4 guys in our group that run thumb throttles off Honda quads. One on a 300 with a lectron, 3 on 450 yamaha's they got cables from motion pro took about 2 weeks to get i think, just had to sigh a waiver. We all started on quads, I didn't own a bike until we ordered the TS kits...

Last edited:
U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
We have 4 guys in our group that run thumb throttles off Honda quads. One on a 300 with a lectron, 3 on 450 yamaha's they got cables from motion pro took about 2 weeks to get i think, just had to sigh a waiver. We all started on quads, I didn't own a bike until we ordered the TS kits...

Interesting.

So it sounds like it works fine but it is really a comfort thing for non Moto guys. I'm a Moto guy so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks for all the input.

E
Apr 21, 2019
What Brand

What brand of throttle should I get. Do the ones from motion pro accomodate a 4 stroke with the return cable?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The down side to a thumb throttle is that the thumb has a slow awkward response compared to snapping the wrist .

I put a twist throttle on a heavy weight sport quad and it's ok but it is off limits to green horns because I've seen a bad outcome more than once . Machine takes off and the last thing that goes threw their mind is to back off the throttle but instead roll into the throttle because the machine is going one way and their body the other .

Kind of like the lefty throttle , I think most snowmobiles have seen a bad outcome of one of them at least once , I have and it costed the guy a collar bone , two ribs and a totaled out machine .

The finger throttle seems to be making a come back too , might be a solution too as long as you have bark busters .

Saddle time will dictate the outcome :)

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Would have to ditch the return or closing throttle cable on the 4 strokes. Wouldn't be an issue in the dirt but I don't think I would want to get rid of it with the snow and ice build up. It's nice to be able to roll the throttle off and guarantee it is actually closing. :juggle:

You can safely delete the throttle return cable. I have never had a problem doing that on the last 5 or 6 4 stroke dirt bikes. Less wrist fatigue. Once you drop it the main throttle cable returns much better anyway. I'm not sure who started the two cable system, but 4 stroke bikes for 75 years never had them and never needed them. It s some kink of CYA afterthought by cycle companies.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What brand of throttle should I get. Do the ones from motion pro accomodate a 4 stroke with the return cable?

I've always used a Honda housing from a TRX450R '04-'05 (2006+ have a throttle safety switch built in that bikes don't have). Buy new or ebay for $25. I've never seen a thumb housing that uses the two cable return system. Just have to delete the return cable.

Premium Features