• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

VHF radio

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
For our patrol sleds we run Motorola XTS 5000 Mobile radios installed in a Police motorcycle box mounted on the back of the tunnel. A speaker and mic are mounted on the handle bare riser, radio control head is mounted behind the windshield. Speakers and boom mic is mounted in our helmets with a push to talk button on the handle bar. These radios run on both analog and digital VHS at 50 watts. The entire system is half the price of the sled at 6 grand. We carry a Motorola XTS 2500 portable in the saddle bags for backup and when we are away from our sleds. They are 5 watts and run around 2 grand.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Big bucks, yes. And guess who pays for them.

yea I know, your tax dollars at work ect.. However It is comforting to have communications you can rely on when dealing with an injured snowmobiler, or those who are missing or lost. Also nice to have good communications the 70% of the time I patrol alone since the State does not have enough staff to cover 2 man patrols 100% of the time (2 of us cover the Black Hills 7 days a week). I do understand the frustration of wastefull government spending especially when I struggle to pay bills and live paycheck to paycheck. I do though appreciate having dependable quality equipment to do my job.

C
Jul 24, 2011
I use a Standard Horizon Floating Marine VHF Handheld model HX850S which I bought about 5 years ago for about 250. It has a built in GPS. I bought it for emergencies only when sledding as my main area for sledding is next to the ocean, and is in range of a CG Radio station. It has other features that are not essential for sledding, but can come in handy for me.
I have never had to use it yet for a sledding emergency, but the benefit of having a built in GPS if there ever was an emergency, was the reason I chose this particular radio. I would be able to contact the CGRS and also be able to provide a position of where the assistance was needed. I use VHF and various other radio equipment as part of my job, and am fully licensed to do so, but in the true letter of the law, it would be illegal for me to use it snowmobiling. In the case of an emergency, no one will hold this slight illegality over your head. You can also get weather broadcasts of the local marine areas whenever you wish, and there is nothing illegal about listening, just broadcasting.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Tested the radios last season and they worked great........hard to beat 50$. Truckers on the logging roads dont care what you use.....they are just happy to not run you off the road.

M
Dec 3, 2008
Grande Prairie AB
I have put a season on the rugged radios vhf setup with about 15 of us having them and we are now ordering 10 more for others, they work amazing. all contained in helmet and backpack so nothing to unhook getting on and off the sled. you can talk while cruising along and the range is very good. you would have to deliberately try to get out of range. It is now annoying to ride with guys that don't have them. It completely changes a day of riding that can only be experienced, not explained.
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=383_247

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Radios are a hot topic. You can buy the cheap sets FRS/GMRS which are garbage IMO. A lot of guys run the Garmin Rinos which are more or less the same thing. Higher the wattage obviously more power and range.

You can buy a VHF radio which depending on the wattage can net you some range. VHF radio by law requires you to have a radio operator certificate. It's easy to get.

I have been looking at a lot of different radios. The new BCA radio looks like a winner but unfortunately it's only a FRS/GMRS radio and a very pricey one at that. You basically are paying for the shoulder mic.

If it were me buying I'd buy a VHF/UHF radio. You get what you pay for. The UHF is the freqs that FRS/GMRS use. VHF is the freqs cops, ems, heli ski ops, repeaters also use.

You can buy a cheap BaoFeng VHF/UHF chinese radio for 40 bucks and it will do more than the BCA/FRS/GMRS/Rino radios. Wouxun also makes a great Chinese VHF/UF radio for about 100 bucks. From there you get into the Jap radios and the price starts to head up to 200-500 dollar range.

If u buy a straight VHF radio it may be cheaper but then you kinda limit yourself to who u can talk to especially if you have the cheapy FRS/GMRS radios in your groups. Why ? Buy a dual band VHF/UHF radio and talk to everyone. The repeater towers will extend your VHF range which can be a lifesaver in some situations.

I have decided to buy a Japanese Yaesu VX-6R. Price is decent and made in Japan and is both a VHF/UHF radio. Also waterproof and you can get a shoulder mount mic/speaker. With this programmable unit one can program all the RCMP and EMS, Heli companies, and use the local repeaters to boost range. I can also use it with all the Rinos in our group which a big plus.

There are many options when it comes to radios. But u can always get a couple BaoFengs/Wouxuns for the same price as a cheapy set of Motorola FRS/GMRS and you get VHF in the package which is huge. I have friends who swear by the Baos and have been using them in the backcountry for years. Not bad for a 40 dollar radio !

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As a licensed Extra Class Ham, I can attest that a 5 watt Hand held is a great radio.
But first and foremost, you MUST GET A HAM RADIO LICENSE to be legal.
Not particularly hard, but it will take you some time to pass the exam.
And don't count on hitting any repeaters in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I have put a season on the rugged radios vhf setup with about 15 of us having them and we are now ordering 10 more for others, they work amazing. all contained in helmet and backpack so nothing to unhook getting on and off the sled. you can talk while cruising along and the range is very good. you would have to deliberately try to get out of range. It is now annoying to ride with guys that don't have them. It completely changes a day of riding that can only be experienced, not explained.
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=383_247

Thanks for the heads up Fred.
I already have the helmet speakers and mic so I went a head and ordered the rugged radios VHF/UHF radios for $85
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1506

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
As a licensed Extra Class Ham, I can attest that a 5 watt Hand held is a great radio.
But first and foremost, you MUST GET A HAM RADIO LICENSE to be legal.
Not particularly hard, but it will take you some time to pass the exam.
And don't count on hitting any repeaters in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

And if you dont get the license? ....how would you get caught and who enforces it? ....would it be a simple ticket or more serious?

And whats the purpose of the license?

Not saying I wouldnt want to take the time and effort to get a license...but I'd like to know all aspects.

Sorry for so many questions.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Getting a lic is subjective. By law yes u need a lic. By the time u get around to learning all the ins and outs of a vhf radio u could prob pass the test lol. Tons of guys without lic's. In a emergency do u really care ?

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
Getting a lic is subjective. By law yes u need a lic. By the time u get around to learning all the ins and outs of a vhf radio u could prob pass the test lol. Tons of guys without lic's. In a emergency do u really care ?

Thanks…..this is pretty much how I feel about it.

Reason I asked those questions is because Christopher seems to be making a really big deal about the license…curious to hear his thoughts as well.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I bought a Yeasu VX6. Had to do some modification lol. By the time u read and understood the radio stuff to be able to use it u can pretty much write the exam lol. I did the practice exam in canada and pretty much answered all the questions. Programming and understanding some of the features is a little daunting ha ha, was surprised especially since i use vhf in the airplane everyday at work. Much more difficult than i thought lol

Id like to get a call sign so i dont feel like a criminal on the repeaters lol. Summitboy prob wont cut it much longer ha ha

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And if you dont get the license? ....how would you get caught and who enforces it? ....would it be a simple ticket or more serious?

And whats the purpose of the license?

Not saying I wouldnt want to take the time and effort to get a license...but I'd like to know all aspects.

Sorry for so many questions.

For the most part other HAMs police the HAM bands.
They listen and go HUNTING for violators.

This is a whole sub-culture in HAM radios called FOX HUNTING.
HAM guys will go to crazy lengths to HUNT down illegal transmitters.

383_DSC00223a.jpg

Does that mean they are ever going to be able to track down a guy on a sled in the backcountry, probably NOT.

In the event of a REAL EMERGENCY, all rules are waived.
NO license in required to operate on any frequency.

The first problem you are going to run into is POWER.
Most all HAM band VHF radios max out at 5-6 watts.
And you can get to those power levels without going to HAM bands using a GRMS or FRS radio.

You are going to need a 10 watt handheld and a decent high gain long (1/4 wave ) antenna to make any real difference.

Sadly that means your going into the "off brand" stuff coming out of china.
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/professional-transceiver-2013-new-arrival/168484540.html

and then buying a high quality antenna for it.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1720S

This MFJ Triple Band HT FlexiDuck antenna is a whopping 19 inches tall - its big enough to deliver a powerful transmit and receive signal for 2 Meters, 440 MHz, and 6 Meters!

On 2 Meters you get a ¼ Wave antenna with 2.15 dBi gain.

Precision tuned at the factory for low SWR, you get maximum performance right out of the package. High-Q, low loss construction gives you maximum radiated power. Handles 10 Watts.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
there is always the baofeng bf-f8hp. amazon for 65.00. add a 3800 mah battery and you are good for a couple of days. a speaker mic on your shoulder strap with the radio in your pack. there is a gmrs repeater in one of my favorite riding areas and my lic covers me and my wife. most guys don't realize that a gmrs lic will cover your relatives out to first cousins. no study, just apply and pay your money. you can have it almost immediately on the fcc web site. I also carry a roll up j pole antenna for emergency use. it will probably double the radio's effective range. got it from n9tax.

and yes grandpaj, you start talking on gmrs without id'ing and I'll chase you off especially if you are on the repeater freq.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
for much good info on the cheap Chinese radios. go to miklor.com

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Premium Features