• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High mileage gen4 850 mtn sleds

B
Feb 18, 2009
Friend with 17 Doo 850, riding with him a month ago it caught on fire and burned to the ground. It was under warranty (1,800 miles) and Ski Doo won’t help him as they can’t diagnose the 175 lbs of burnt rubble we drug out of the mountains. He has been a loyal Doo customer, not so much now.

That's why you put insurance on a $10k+ sled...

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Got 2000 miles on my 2018 850 G4 and it seized up. Had been boondocking all day and heading back to the truck on the trail when it happened. Bone stock. Dealer has had it for several days but not had time to tear it down to figure what extent the damage is. Anxious to hear what caused the problem. Happened 5 days before 1 year warranty expired. Lucky me!?!?

Got new motor installed and now going through break-in period. Original motor had a crank bearing failure. Hope this one lasts more than 2000 miles.
Probably won’t install new 280 Conquer Track until beginning of next season.
Oh well!!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Got new motor installed and now going through break-in period. Original motor had a crank bearing failure. Hope this one lasts more than 2000 miles.
Probably won’t install new 280 Conquer Track until beginning of next season.
Oh well!!

Could they tell why the failure occurred? For example, manufacturing defect versus factory install issue?

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
got 1500 miles and 2200miles on 2 different 850s the year. the one with 2200 had the injectors done under warranty cause they were leaking. the one with 1500 has a bad bog every now and then, probably injectors aswell. other than that the motors have been great, wish the tunnels and tracks would last as long as the Motors

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Well, about a dozen post concerning motor problems. Considering the thousands of 850's on the hill, and also considering how people with issues flock to the forums to vent, I'd say for the vast majority of us.. we're in pretty good shape :face-icon-small-hap

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Well, about a dozen post concerning motor problems. Considering the thousands of 850's on the hill, and also considering how people with issues flock to the forums to vent, I'd say for the vast majority of us.. we're in pretty good shape :face-icon-small-hap

You would fit in good with the Polaris guys. For a while there during the high season they were adding a dead one a day to their poll but using the same excuse as you just made. It got so bad they stared claiming people were tainting the poll just to mess with them, that denial is a powerful thing LOL.

The poo 850 IMO was a dismal failure in its first year. Looks like they have made most of the needed fixes for next year though, time will tell. Now as time passes some of the new Doo's and Cat's are starting to fail earlier than it seems like sleds used to fail. I am pretty confident they are all in the same boat now to some extent trying to meet insane EPA requirements by using less and less lubricating oil. The results of this are clear to me and all over this forum.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
:light:

The beauty of it is, no one gives a rat's ass about your opinion :face-icon-small-con

Ain't THAT the truth! Been saying that over in the Polaris section for months, and he keeps coming back like a bad case of diarrhea.

PLEASE arctic cat . . . put your lapdog back in its cage :)

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Have a buddy that has 4,200 miles on his 2017 Summit X 850, almost all off-trail mountain riding with zero issues. My 2017 Summit X 850 is not a happy story, lost the mag side crank bearing at 1224 miles. SKI-DOO replaced with a long block all under warranty. Thank you BRP!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
:light:

The beauty of it is, no one gives a rat's ass about your opinion :face-icon-small-con

Goes both ways boys. Not sure why you bothered mentioning it? I figured those were the rules on the internet...

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
You would fit in good with the Polaris guys. For a while there during the high season they were adding a dead one a day to their poll but using the same excuse as you just made. It got so bad they stared claiming people were tainting the poll just to mess with them, that denial is a powerful thing LOL.

The poo 850 IMO was a dismal failure in its first year. Looks like they have made most of the needed fixes for next year though, time will tell. Now as time passes some of the new Doo's and Cat's are starting to fail earlier than it seems like sleds used to fail. I am pretty confident they are all in the same boat now to some extent trying to meet insane EPA requirements by using less and less lubricating oil. The results of this are clear to me and all over this forum.

EPA to blame? Read the forums and a lot of people complain when their 2-stroke sleds seem to use more oil than they think they should. Seems like consumers put pressure on the manufacturers to cut oil usage, especially when the manufacturers are charging us $50 for a gallon of oil.

I have no problem with the EPA saving my lungs either. Every time I ride behind an older sled or a diesel and gag I appreciate clean air standards.

Tech does seem to be the answer to balancing clean air and longevity. Direct oiling, better tolerances, better manufacturing practices, etc. Even with all that though, 2 strokes are a trade off. We get light weight and power for a grenade with an unknown detonation date.

Premium Features