• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Randomly Dying under any condition...

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
16' 800. After four days in heavy snow over the last two weeks, my sled started shutting off randomly while riding. Will die at idle, under load, doesn't really matter...

If I'm fast I can cycle the kill switch and it will fire back up and off I go. Really crappy when in compromising terrain. Yesterday it reached the point where that didn't work (twice), and I was unable to get it started again. The first time I unplugged the harness for the cowling, and it fired up again. Ran it that way until it died again. The second time I jiggled the wires around the steering column, fired up again. Kept dying after...

It's really intermittent, and I can't reproduce it reliably which makes troubleshooting this a bit of a pain.

Things I found/checked:

• TSS already by-passed, Munster's, checks out OKAY.
  • OFT Racing Teether. Kills the sled when pulled, fires right up when replaced. Seems OK.
  • Kill-Switch. Contacts were soaked when I disassembled it. I dried it out and put it back together. Could be the culprit? (Typical **** Polaris electrical design... good lord guys... spend a few bucks on quality electrical components...)
  • Stator power connector, perfect condition.
  • Relays, all other connectors around the steering column and above clutch cover. All are DRY/OK.
  • No shorts in the wires going to the bars. Another "quality" design from Polaris there, had one warranty claim for that problem already.

Anything else I should check? Really hoping the water in the killswitch is the issue...

UPDATE ON ISSUE:

The following cobo's have been checked / rulled out:

• Kill Switch and Key Switch unplugged -- Dies
  • Kill Switch and Tether unplugged -- Dies
  • Key and Tether unplugged -- Dies

It seems to only happen under two specific conditions

• Hard loading (3/4+ throttle) and the pipe is hot. I've had it happen only once or twice under light load.
  • going hard/fast down bumpy trails

I can ride all damn day at 1/2 throttle FOR THE MOST PART and never have an issue. It's almost certain to happen when I am trying to climb a hill, or in the tree's working the sled hard. Right or left side doesn't matter.

Taking it to Carl's tomorrow, we'll see if they can find anything. The engine kill circuits are stupid simple, not sure what else it could be.... Relays seem OKAY (Haven't replaced them, I am using heave duty non-oem ones)

UPDATE ON ISSUE 4/1:

Carls pulled 47 or so stored codes for P1351 Ignition Coil Driver Circuit Open. I never once had a check engine light, and because of this, Polaris authorized an ECU Swap. They did the swap, and put me back on the snow and the issue returned. On a positive note, now it throws a CEL. :-D

At this point, to summarize all the HW swaps / checks:

• Kill Switch and Key Switch unplugged -- Dies
  • Kill Switch and Tether unplugged -- Dies
  • Key and Tether unplugged -- Dies
  • TSS Swapped -- Dies
  • All three relays swapped -- Dies
  • Stator connectors checked for melting / corrosion, none found.
  • Coil's Ohmed out (at room temp) -- No issue
  • ECU Swapped (Warrenty) -- No help.
  • Wiring checked for rubbing / shorts -- non found.

I am really starting to lean on a coil being bad and opening up when hot. It really only happens after everything is nice and heat soaked. The coils are in series and the supply/ground for this circuit start/ends with the ECU. I dropped it off again today, and encouraged them to swap them. I have seen a number of posts ranging from coils, to wiring harness, to startors a reed???? Hoping its the Coil.

Last edited:
G
Mar 18, 2018
Calgary
I was having very similar issues. Turned out to be the pick ups on the coil side inside the stator.
It was under warranty and that's what the service manager told me. Hasn't acted up since replacing the stator.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Make sure you check all connections off the voltage regulator. I had the same symptoms a couple years ago, had a meltdown at a wiring harness connection just off the VR.
That located on the clutch cover? What code were you getting?

I'll check regardless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
This is solved. Late season swapped both coil packs, plugs and wires. 4 rides on it now without a hickup.

Premium Features