• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Alpha. Air shocks or coil over?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^good point. is it not the same concept when you adjust clicker? which chamber is it bumping? was under impression air pressure setting is main and then you click up or down in the piggyback, so same thing? id still go air either way.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
^good point. is it not the same concept when you adjust clicker? which chamber is it bumping? was under impression air pressure setting is main and then you click up or down in the piggyback, so same thing? id still go air either way.
I dont know, i know the ones you buy from fox have an evol chamber.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Does not matter whether its from cat or fox. QS3 is just a QS3. Which means the 3 levels of adjustment. My understanding is It takes the previous compression adjustment and breaks it into 3 zones rather than having a 20 position clicker you have 3 positions equal to approximately 7 clicks. There are several shocks that utilize the Qs3 technology. You can have a Float-QS3 which is the current Alpha shock. A QS3 coil over which is next years hardcore shock. A QS3 evol which is the Float QS3 with an evol chamber or a QS3 evol-R which is the evol with rebound adjustment.

Yes directly from fox they use slightly nicer components but mostly you are paying for the custom valving for your weight and have the option to pay for the higher end shocks.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Does not matter whether its from cat or fox. QS3 is just a QS3. Which means the 3 levels of adjustment. My understanding is It takes the previous compression adjustment and breaks it into 3 zones rather than having a 20 position clicker you have 3 positions equal to approximately 7 clicks. There are several shocks that utilize the Qs3 technology. You can have a Float-QS3 which is the current Alpha shock. A QS3 coil over which is next years hardcore shock. A QS3 evol which is the Float QS3 with an evol chamber or a QS3 evol-R which is the evol with rebound adjustment.

Yes directly from fox they use slightly nicer components but mostly you are paying for the custom valving for your weight and have the option to pay for the higher end shocks.
Right im just saying what you get from cat isnt what you buy from fox, from what i can see you cant even get a non-evol float qs3 from fox. Its OEM cat specific. So what are you getting from cat? Is it just a basic float with compression adjustment?

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
so who has weighed all 4 air shocks vs 4 coil overs?
doesnt matter the shock with all the fancy adjustments, once out on the snow knobs and dials become icebound and make it a chore to do even simple adjustments, which is why set it and forget it is common.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
so who has weighed all 4 air shocks vs 4 coil overs?

doesnt matter the shock with all the fancy adjustments, once out on the snow knobs and dials become icebound and make it a chore to do even simple adjustments, which is why set it and forget it is common.
Exactly, and no one else rides my sled so i just need it set up for me, but the difference between a good shock and a bad shock is huge. So i guess my whole deal is, do i buy the base alpha and spend a little more on good aftermarket shocks, or spend a little more on the MC or HC with the "better" shock packages? With the knowledge that a revlave may be needed.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I dunno why everyone acts like you gotta be constantly adjusting the floats. I set'm at the beginning of the season and forget'm and never had a problem.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
You sure about that? When I had Toms revalve a bunch of shocks in the past. for instance my 2016, he always lets me know that Cat uses crap valving stacks and 2000's steel pistons in them. Not sure if they changed that in the QS3's from Cat to fox, but my 18 QS3 valving is different than my 19's.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
You sure about that? When I had Toms revalve a bunch of shocks in the past. for instance my 2016, he always lets me know that Cat uses crap valving stacks and 2000's steel pistons in them. Not sure if they changed that in the QS3's from Cat to fox, but my 18 QS3 valving is different than my 19's.
Do you notice a difference with toms revalve? Does he swapout the piston? What does he charge for a set?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I haven't revalved my 19 shocks. But it was a huge difference when he did my 16. Waiting for the season to be done first. They need it though. Wyoboy just got his revalved on his 18 but hasn't got it on the snow yet. Tom does swap out the piston with an aluminum flow optimized. I think he charged a couple hundred to do mine in the past.

R
Feb 26, 2008

Since 17 or 18, yes. Definitely not 16, that valving was awful.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
2014 started with some of the ski shocks having better pistons, but the track shocks still had the old restrictive steel ones. Been getting better since. Nothing should have the steel pistons from 2000 at this point. No excuse for that.

The Fox website refers you to Cat for purchase of their aftermarket shocks so what you get at the dealer is going to be the same. However, I'd be surprised if what comes in the OEM shocks on the sled out of the crate matches the accessory shocks out of the catalog.

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
i got to ride both in yellowstone a few weeks ago. hardcore hands down. easier to roll and grab a turn and holds it there.. great shock pkg, thicker tunnel too.

Premium Features