• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good years for Ford AND Chevy truck.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I absolutely HATE Chevys, but for your budget I think that's the best option in an 06-07 Classic Duramax. Too many things to go wrong with the Ford 6.0 and 6.4, and I don't think I've ever heard of a friend with a Dodge that hasn't lost the tranny in it, as well as riding the worst and being by far the loudest with a tiny backseat. Every single Chevy I've ever been around (friend, family, neighbor, company rig) has had some type of electrical problem... EVERY single one.

I'm absolutely LOVING my 2012 F-350 6.7L, but you're going to have to pay more than you're budget allows to get into one. I've got 144,000 on mine, picked it up 2 years ago with 109K on it and have done nothing but drive it and change the oil every 5K miles. DEF is a non-issue as long as you let it do it's thing when it wants to regen. My 2 years of combined city/highway and trailer towing is 15.6mpg in the last 35K miles... have seen up to 18 on the highway empty, around town, or towing my trailer averages 12 for a combined of 15.5-16. Totally Stock.

There WAS a great deal on an 07 Chevy BUT it fell thru.

Looking at a 06 Dodge Mega cab 5.9 Cummins auto 4speed 4wd with 40 gallon CNG. 160,000 miles for 20 grand. New front end, tires and tranny.

Trying to figure out what are the safety / smog issues for CNG.

400 plus mile range on HWY with CNG getting 50plus MPG ? Is this possible?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Every single Chevy I've ever been around (friend, family, neighbor, company rig) has had some type of electrical problem... EVERY single one.

Hmmmm....I don't know of any particular electrical problem. I just had to replace my airbag sensor which took all but 15 minutes. I'm sure they exist, but nothing here yet (knocking on wood). LBZ's are the least problematic injector problem child of the Classic trucks. Issues I've had include a blocked up EGR, fuel rail delivery (all Duramax's need a lift pump) and overheat from pulling my 5th wheel. I pulled the radiator stack and cleaned the radiator and cooler to remedy this.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Hmmmm....I don't know of any particular electrical problem. I just had to replace my airbag sensor which took all but 15 minutes. I'm sure they exist, but nothing here yet (knocking on wood). LBZ's are the least problematic injector problem child of the Classic trucks. Issues I've had include a blocked up EGR, fuel rail delivery (all Duramax's need a lift pump) and overheat from pulling my 5th wheel. I pulled the radiator stack and cleaned the radiator and cooler to remedy this.

I've seen multiple rigs with speedometer failure, gauge cluster failure, air bag lights, power window motors failing at low miles, multiple check engine lights, trunk latches on the cars, etc. I have had friends that have had good luck with them, but I've also seen a LOT of issues too. This is just my experience with them, I'm sure there's a lot of people who never have a single issue as is the experience I've had for the most part with my Fords. My 02 F-350 V-10 never had much for major issues outside of regular maintenance, a couple things here and there, but nothing major. The 6.0L I had gave me some heartache but I knew the risks before I bought it and rolled the dice, I wouldn't again though. My 94 was also an extremely reliable rig without too many uncommon regular maintenance issues for the 7 years that it was my daily driver.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I had the gauge cluster go out on my 04 but still on the original one in the 06 but the hr meter did just reset to 0 and the lights behind the steering wheel buttons have started to go out and radio button lights going out. But they can't last for ever.
40406ca18cb1f4f8217b351d6cd7579f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I had a 2006 LBZ and now have a 2007 LBZ. I went back to the LBZ after having a 2011 Denali LML. The Denali was much nicer inside and more "civilized", but the LBZ is really the bees knees! I've considered buying a new or used Duramax 2015+, but I just can't do it! The LBZ is an incredible truck. Total hot rod. Mine is as clean as you can find at 175k.

Currently deleting my EGR and adding EFI live. Other mods include Cognito level, 4" tubo back exhaust, FASS lift pump, new front wheel bearings, Rare parts tie rods/Pitman/Idler, Bilsteins, Redhead steering box, PPE cooler, Deviant tran lines, Fuel wheels and Duratracs. Not sure I can ever sell it now.

These non emissions trucks are a dying breed.

Yeah, I hope as the miles roll up on the 17 Denali L5P I'll won't be missing the LBZ I sold - lots to love on the 07, and as you invest more, they are harder to separate from. You likely know about or fixed the CP4, transfer case pump rub, and leaking PTO blocker plate on the rear upper right, as the LBZ ages. All minor fixes if you catch them in time. Good luck.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah, I hope as the miles roll up on the 17 Denali L5P I'll won't be missing the LBZ I sold - lots to love on the 07, and as you invest more, they are harder to separate from. You likely know about or fixed the CP4, transfer case pump rub, and leaking PTO blocker plate on the rear upper right, as the LBZ ages. All minor fixes if you catch them in time. Good luck.

Okay whats a CP4? Check transfer case to see if leaking … Got it.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Strayed ... back on track with a DURAMAX / Allison combination.

CREW CAB 4WD with short bed.

Dodge 5.9 has tranny issues and the Ford 6.0 EGR/filter temp cant be monitored adequately to predict head gasket failure.

Would like a long bed BUT very difficult to turn around at trail head where I normally inload.

STill trying to find turning radius in these trucks.

Looking at 2007 LBZ engine code D in VIN?

Also looking at 2006 Duramax believe called LLY engine code 2 ?

Was told the LLY and LBZ physical different is just cosmetics on air intake.
Main difference was computer ECM programing making LLY less powerful.

Some forums say any $200 plus dollar programmer will bring the LLY to the LBZ power range. Anyone agree?

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
What IDSpud said on the CP4, applicable to LMM and LML, LBZ has CP3 stock. Do a web search and it will pop immediately. LLY can be tuned same as LBZ. LBZ's have a larger radiator, bigger fan/shroud, more cooling capacity, OEM said something like 33% more, stock, FWIW. Same tranny cooler, I think.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Simplier trucks sell very fast. 1-2 days

More featured trucks cost more and are listed longer.

So whats up with the quarter panels rusting out?

Easy to fix?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Found an 3500 with manual transmission. First Duramax with a manual transmission. Are manuals any good?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Had my rockers replace 2 years ago and coated with por 15 as soon as they started to show paint bubbles. Had the box, hood and new tail gate repainted and a new sprayed in bed liner done this spring
2b22a88715680ce0c0e06cfdadb04769.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nice truck

How much did the rocker panels cost to replace? It appears they have to cut them out?

Last edited:

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
Nice truck

How much did the rocker panels cost to replace? It appears they have to cut them out?

What you are seeing is the tape line of where he had bed liner sprayed on the lower rockers. That is a very common upgrade / repair to keep rusting and stone chips to a minimum.

Premium Features