• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black, thick sludge in belly pan

captcolby

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Seward, AK
So I finally got to take my new Pro out today. After 10 miles I stopped to check everything out and found a black, sticky, thick sludge in the belly pan directly under the exhaust valves. It looks like a spray pattern is hitting the bar that runs through the compartment. So there is a puddle in the belly pan. Anybody got ideas about what this could be? I will try to post pics tomorrow.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Had the same thing on mine. It looked like the donut (graffoil) was the culprit but I'll be checking the exhaust valve vent as well. I would guess that the extra oil that the dealers put in the tank as pre-mix for break in is part of the problem. I haven't rode mine yet since I cleaned it up but I'll post back if it doesn't go away. EW

Yuck!!!!!!!!!!

RiverLogs457.jpg

RiverLogs458.jpg

RiverLogs459.jpg

RiverLogs460.jpg

RiverLogs461.jpg

It cleaned up good with brake cleaner.

RiverLogs465.jpg

RiverLogs466.jpg

I also noticed a little coolant leak coming from this blocked outlet on the coolant tank. Got a vaccum plug at Napa and put on a zip tie just to be sure.

RiverLogs463.jpg

RiverLogs464.jpg

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Looks like you might need some PEX tubing on your starter rope to keep from wearing into the coolant hose.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
a lot of the oil buildup in the pipe is from it being started and stopped and not being brought up to temp so the pipe can "burn" off the excess fuel and oil in the pipe. first time you ride it the pipe will burn the excess, donut will seat and no more oil!!!

Premium Features