• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clearance Light Short-Circuit

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
What a trip!, I had a clearance light "base" shortout on my 27' enclosed.

I know it dosent sound like a big deal, but it kinda was.

after the light "base" had shorted it really messed up my electric brakes, any time I even touched the brake pedal the trailer brakes would lock up.

Also , if I turned on a blinker light it also locked up the brakes :confused:........the brakes would go on-off on-off just like the blinker lights. did some real dandy "hoppen" down the road :rolleyes:

anybody had this happen ??

freak-ride012-1.jpg

peace-

johnny

Last edited:
B
Dec 21, 2006
If it is like mine, the lights are grounded right there with a rivet through the wire into the metal. It also sounds like there might be corrosion at the trailer plug allowing it to "jump" from circuit to circuit.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
Your brake controller controls your brake circut. Something is wrong in the wiring with the truck or the trailer. Hook it up to a diffrent truck and see what happens.

B
Dec 21, 2006
Pull that trailer plug apart. Mine was doing weird things also and it was pretty bad in there. Replaced the plug and all is good again

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
Thanks Red

Trailer was acting up again today, minnesota offered to pull the trailer, and sure enough, brakes were locking up again. a least i know the problem is on the trailer side:rolleyes: . The plug on the trailer is a sealed plug- can't undo a screw to get inside.

peace-

johnny

B
Dec 21, 2006
Have you checked the connections at the brakes? I am not an expert by any means but I have never heard of a sealed plug. Can you post a picture of the plug?

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
Found a Bad Connection

Found a bad connecton that was halfway pulled apart, was kinda hidden under some tape. Cleaned up the connection and took the trailer for a quick trip and all was good:).

trailerplug005.jpg

trailerplug009.jpg

trailerplug010.jpg

peace-

johnny

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
scotch locks suck!

i dont understand why manufactures use scotch locks on trailer wiring! i think they are terrible and good for a temporary fix at best! nothing like some solder (sp) and shrink tubing if u ask me.

Premium Features