• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strange noise on 19 Summits.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I don't know how, but could it have something to do with the new motor mounts?

C

CHAOS RACING

Mar 5, 2012
North East
I haven't looked into it much but I'm thinking of the way the clutch is vented. The air vent coming out the left panel next to your knee... Wondering if I'm hearing noise from the clutch that normally I wouldn't here

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The noise only shows up when the sled backshifts and it sounds like it's coming from the track clips on the hyfax. My dealer seems to have the track set up quite tight compared to what I'm used to, maybe that's contributing to the noise. For argument sake, I pulled the brake rotor cover off and nothing seems to be out of place.

I'm going to ride it as is unless someone comes up with something. I don't have enough snow here to ride it as intended anyways, I'll see in a few weeks!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I haven't looked into it much but I'm thinking of the way the clutch is vented. The air vent coming out the left panel next to your knee... Wondering if I'm hearing noise from the clutch that normally I wouldn't here

That makes sense actually, it does sound like clutch noise.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The noise only shows up when the sled backshifts and it sounds like it's coming from the track clips on the hyfax. My dealer seems to have the track set up quite tight compared to what I'm used to, maybe that's contributing to the noise. For argument sake, I pulled the brake rotor cover off and nothing seems to be out of place.

I'm going to ride it as is unless someone comes up with something. I don't have enough snow here to ride it as intended anyways, I'll see in a few weeks!

That makes sense also and is what I thought at first. I loosened my track a bit but it didn't seem to make a difference, although it looks like in 11 miles the front of the hifax/nose bumpers are showing wear. I wonder if the new rails are longer in the front or if the front profile is different as the rear is?

W
Sep 9, 2013

My 18 does the same thing, especially noticeable going downhill. Have tried loose and tight track and it doesn't seem to matter. Can't see anything wearing out so I just keep riding it.

B
Feb 15, 2017
Has anyone figured out the noise? I have a 19 summit that is doing the same thing when decelerating. It sounds like the track is hitting something but everything looks good

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
what lug tracks is the noise on ? My 2.5'' makes a noise as well and I'm in the process of installing the rail tip wheels off the 3'' lug.
My rail tips show wear , when i get them installed ill post my results on here .

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
My 18 has a rattling noise at times, I've mostly noticed it going down the trail and letting out on the throttle... I've determined it to be the side panels vibrating, the clips that hold everything closed don't tighten things up very well. IMO

Last edited:

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Same on mine! To me it sounds like the clutch guard is rubbing. I also only notice it when I'm coasting down hill. I am having trouble getting RPM's so I thought it might be related to that, but since so many other people are having this issue, probably not.

W
Dec 7, 2017
Silt, CO
I don't think it is the o.p. issue.. but any unknown noise on a ski-doo, it is always worth taking a look at the brake cover. They get bent in from riding, kicking out snow, etc. and they end up touching the disc.
Not saying it is the answer, but it is an easy one to eliminate.

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
My 19 154 makes the same noise had her into the dealer that didn't help so kept ring her and spun my drivers and bent the shaft

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
My 19 154 makes the same noise had her into the dealer that didn't help so kept ring her and spun my drivers and bent the shaft

Did you get it replaced on warranty ?

I see over on the Polaris site they have the same thing going on!!

They have concluded it was the driver running over the track drive knobs every 32 inches , they swapped out the drivers to Powder Freaks or Avids and they couldn't be happier , no noise no vibrations !!

I may have to take a closer look at mine next time I bring it inside and lift the rear .

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
no I didn't haven't been really riding her as I cracked the tunnel and she needs rails and the tracks ready to fall apart lol

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
My 19 154 3" is also making the noise. It's a thumping noise that sounds & feels just like the S/ZX chassis did when the track was loose & ratcheting while climbing except that I only notice it when decelerating/coasting. There's no grinding or bearing/whining sounds. I didn't check but I'm pretty sure it's not ice in the tunnel as it was pretty warm out. I'm thinking that maybe the drivers aren't meshing right with the track windows when coasting.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Could it be that the hyfax are to short ? Are they about an inch short of the end of the rail ? If so could it be possible that the track is flexing just enough between the end of the shortened rail and the rear wheels that the track is flicking off of the hyfax making that popping sound and is more noticeable in certain conditions ?

The track does rub against the upper idler brackets on the rear also causing the grinding sound / feeling .

New brackets by an aftermarket would be nice since the other manufactures have the same problem :) could be lucrative and send me my spiff :)

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
My 19 154x3 did that till I put an aftermarket exhaust can on. I would bet it still makes that same noise, I just can’t hear it anymore.

Sounds like the issue is common and we aren’t seeing any related failures so I’m not going to lose any sleep.....

Premium Features