• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Product: ZRP - GEN 4 TAILSTANDER ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I know that's what it says, but that's not what has been borne out in testing by the clutch kit gurus - https://www.ibackshift.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=84#clickerposition

this is from the page you reference.

pDrive force charts - clicker position

ADJUSTMENT
This adjustable drive pulley allows setting maximum engine RPM in the vehicle to maintain maximum power. The adjustment has an effect on high RPM only.

Ramp cam should be adjusted so that actual maximum engine RPM in vehicle matches the maximum horsepower RPM given in Technical Specifications.

To adjust, modify ramp end position by turning ramp cams (3x) [shows pic of clicker]
Each number modifies maximum engine RPM by about 200 RPM.

Lower numbers decrease engine RPM in steps by about 200 RPM.

For example: Ramp cam is set at position 3 and is changed to position 5. So maximum engine RPM is increased by 400 RPM

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
this is from the page you reference.

pDrive force charts - clicker position

ADJUSTMENT
This adjustable drive pulley allows setting maximum engine RPM in the vehicle to maintain maximum power. The adjustment has an effect on high RPM only.

Ramp cam should be adjusted so that actual maximum engine RPM in vehicle matches the maximum horsepower RPM given in Technical Specifications.

To adjust, modify ramp end position by turning ramp cams (3x) [shows pic of clicker]
Each number modifies maximum engine RPM by about 200 RPM.

Lower numbers decrease engine RPM in steps by about 200 RPM.

For example: Ramp cam is set at position 3 and is changed to position 5. So maximum engine RPM is increased by 400 RPM

If you read the whole thing, he's saying that in real world testing the top RPM stayed consistent regardless of clicker setting.

Here's the relevant part:

Clicker position is NOT for changing engine speed at full throttle

(NOTE - I will post force diagrams of different clicker positions to show what the positions do on the upshift and "Track speed" (shift ratio) AND engine speed change)

The clicker only changes the way the clutch pushes off the very bottom end.

You can make the clutch feel "revvy" or "less revvy" being more aggressive.

You must change engine speed with pivot bolt weight - THEE END

The clickers are NOT there to change engine speed like the older TRA.

If you put the clicker down to #1 it will be the most revvy....and still 7900-8000

If you put the clicker up to #5 it will be the least revvy, most aggressive...and still 7900-8000

If you are running say 8100 with 14.7 grams pivot then no matter what clicker you are on, you must add 1 full gram and go to 15.7 grams pivot to push the engine speed down to 7900

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Man after reading all this it sure don't look like one is getting any bonus out of this new pdrive clutch.. Might have to just get tra race couch on it and use old wisdom, and leave this sit on the bench a few seasons.. Somewhat sad..

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Man after reading all this it sure don't look like one is getting any bonus out of this new pdrive clutch.. Might have to just get tra race couch on it and use old wisdom, and leave this sit on the bench a few seasons.. Somewhat sad..

Theres definately some improvements over the TRA Fred but its going to take some time to realize it. This clutch is a different beast to tune with limited ramp profiles and spring specs available. Most understand the TRA well and is a known commodity. The pdrice takes a little different thought process to tune IMO and the lack of available parts to see the extremems of what can be done isn't helping...nor is lack of snow in some areas

There is alot of potential here!

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
ZRP - GEN 4 TAILSTANDER ADJUSTABLE WEIGHTS

That's why I tend to believe what is in the manuals as opposed to all the posts by the gurus. Never know how many ice teas they may have had prior to posting? However, each to his own?

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Theres definately some improvements over the TRA Fred but its going to take some time to realize it. This clutch is a different beast to tune with limited ramp profiles and spring specs available. Most understand the TRA well and is a known commodity. The pdrice takes a little different thought process to tune IMO and the lack of available parts to see the extremems of what can be done isn't helping...nor is lack of snow in some areas

There is alot of potential here!

The PDrive is really just a conventional ctv that will last a long time without needing maintenance.
Tuning it is exactly the same methodology as with Polaris and Arctic Cat clutches for decades so it well understand.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
This is a relatively simple clutch and responds to any tuning the exact same way as all the Yamaha and Polaris clutches.
Looks like some people are trying to reinvent the wheel here--I have limited experience with the TRA ran Yamaha and before that a long time ago Polaris. I feel right at home with this clutch just a bit limited with available profile and weight ramps. And for some reason Doo really likes to make working on clutches as difficult as possible but got the tools now so no big deal. The whole Clicker thing is an other numb nut story The Clickers simply ad or subtract weight by moving the weight in and out on an eccentric bushing. So in essence it is adding or subtracting actual arm weight by how far in or out you move the weight. Same as adding or subtracting weight :face-icon-small-dis get it. Pin weight is only at the centre of the weight not all the effective on the top end.
So far there are lots of springs available -- tons of stuff for the secondary and If my Tail stander weights ever arrive maybe a good adjustable option for primary weight.
For anyone not to into Clutching I am sure Joe will have something going soon.

TWARD700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle WA
What does the factory clicker weight setup weigh?Bought these weights and want to get as close to what I'm running now with 21 grams added to the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
What does the factory clicker weight setup weigh?Bought these weights and want to get as close to what I'm running now with 21 grams added to the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86bd37a653b7f65b9be59b5adaf44e87.jpg

Premium Features