• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Member Comments on "Letter to All Members"

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For those who have comments like go on leave! Please, think about what is happening. And for those with threats, please think about the reaction you will create before hand.

Again I wish to point out the reason everyone is here with comments is because they: DO CARE!!!
Agreed.
That is also why I am spending so much time reading each and every reply. Good, Bad or just repetitious.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So i have decided to take a wait and see position, I will stay on the site and might even pay for it. time will tell. I will not do with out dinner or beer to pay for it, i will just kick out a few more bucks for something i enjoy.

As for the moderators i guess i dont post enough to have an opion on them. but i have met the fella from Mountain sports in Preston, artic cat turbo guy. And by the way i was a Polaris guy that now rides skidoo. We ran into him up at the warming hut in green basin/dry basin. he tried to trick me into riding his turbo.....i didnt because i knew i would have to buy one if i did. also ran into at bloomington lake.....bottom line nice guy offers advice and will help ya if your in trouble. And that counts for more then any of the crap he gets thrown on him in here.
Thank you for being willing to see the final product we are offering to all the members before you make your final decision.

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp81 View Post
Just because Christopher does not know / does not tell, does not mean that it is not known. I worked at HP and I personally guarantee to you that they know. I was said web developer and I did not know the cost of advertising or how much revenue it generated. I didn't need to know. I did what the publisher and owners asked me to do. They made the decisions.

That is generally how private corporations work in America.

BUT if your boss comes to you and says "The ads on the forum are not generating enough $$ to support them" MOST people would need the following information to straighten the problem out.

a. How much does it take to run the forums (annually)?
b. How much does current income contribute (per click thru, per conversion, per ad served)
c. Is there someone in the company ACTIVELY working on expanding the advertiser pool?
d. is there a max on the number of ads, or advertisers?

IF there is a section where people can sell crap, is there a listing fee? I really don't see a problem if someone is going to sell something for $100 charging them $1 or $2 to do so.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Dude, SW's super-double-secret executive conferences tell us that membership market carrying capacity is running somewhere around $49.95/month if we really pull this off sooner than later. Remember these are folks who have 10K sleds, 40k trucks, 69.00 DirecTV, on and on...

If we simply get 500 members x 49.95 x 12 mos = $299,700 !
How do we say Hawaii!.
Do we get to take our sleds with us and play on the mountain??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I see what they do and how they love to badger you, but please, be judicious and prudent in your use of the "special buttons". Instead of distastefully "smacking" them down, take the high road and maintain your dignity.
All things considered, I thought I have been doing a very good job of that.

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Right or wrong....this is what I am referring to. This is how you degrade your customers. I am amazed at that!

I tend to agree with this statement, your amazed that people continue to complain about something that is 100% controlled by the user, but what your not getting here is the fact that alot of sledders are not computer friendly! You have knowledge of computers, not everyone does, alot of the older generation has troubles with emails and so forth, so can you really expect people to just all of a sudden "get it"

I still have to explain to my parents which icons get one click and which ones get two! (yeah I know its an extreme example, but computers are not an easy thing to learn in your later years in life when you hardly use them) Not everyone is comfortable on a computer, let alone bother learning how to customize their forum when all they want to do is come on and get some information, being in the computer industry I thought you would have learned this by now that nothing should amaze you when it comes to people using computers, especially for the casual user.

Heres a good true story for you, My brother is in IT, he had a guy come to him about 8 years ago telling him his cup holder on his computer was broken.... cup holder??? what???? Goes to check it out, turns out the guy was using his CD drive as a retractable cup holder, didnt have a clue what it was for! I gotta admit, that one did amaze me, however people being uninterested in learning how, or missing the fact that its user controllable all together, does not really amaze me, and I find it a bit amazing that you would assume everyone would.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am not going to get caught up in all the debate on this issue but will say that as a long time forum member who is currently unemployed (and has been for 2 years now) and have to account for every dime these day, will find the money somewhere if nothing more than to support a forum that has given me the means for soooo much help in doing the sport I love.

Thanks Guys,

MX
When the time comes, I want you to SAVE THIS MESSAGE.

MS, If you HONESTLY CAN NOT AFFORD to pay your membership, I will wave your membership dues for you just because you were honest enough to say so.

Someone told me
Its not about the money..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, when the day comes, and there’s little doubt it’s coming, the one thing you can never say is that you weren’t told!

Christopher, you broke snowest’s spirit and heart, shame on you:(
Don't be so fast to write this lady off just yet. She has a whole lot more life left in her than you may realize.;)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
maybe charge a lifetime membership fee? With all the great members here, and the many more who will join, there would be plenty of money to support the forum and all of its servers and tech staff and whatnot other technical BS that I don't understand. I will more than likely pay the subscription for at least a year, if after a year there is nobody left here and the forum is no use to me, I will save my money and find other means of sled tech support and communication with Snowest Members.
If I am to believe all the comments of the opposition, its not about the money, so offering them a lifetime membership or a $1 membership makes no difference to them at all.

And thank you for your willingness to wait and see what happens and then make an informed decision after seeing the product we will be bringing you.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I've only read through/have time to read throgh the first 15 pages, give or take.

I've seen a few comments made that people were happy with this site 6 months ago; then changes happened and it appears that most people weren't happy with those changes...yet they are staying in place and more will be coming.

I didn't really see in what I've read so far who asked for those changes (the extra bells and whistles)? Was it the members? Was there a poll taken to see if the proposed changes were something the members wanted? Was there a pm sent to all members alerting them of this poll, so everyone would be aware?

The other night I was at a buddies (another snowest member) and asked him what he thought of the new fee. Both of our wives (who aren't on the site) immediately said...it's a forum, doesn't the advitersiers pay for the forum?

Yes, we have a lot of money into the sport, and $10 is peanuts for a year; but it really is the principle. Who says this won't go up to $20 per year in 3 years?

If all these changes (bells and whistles) will make this the biggest/baddest site, won't that in theory attract more advertisers? Is snowest going to be the first forum that you have to pay to be a member?

AND, everyone tells you they lose money...yet businesses don't stick around if they really are losing money. When I bought my sled, the dealer was losing money. When I bought my car, the dealer lost money; and snowest is losing money, yet this site has been running for how many years?

I used to work for a non-profit business...the employees there were paid very well.

This sounds like typicaly corporate America...things come down the pipeline that are best for all of us, yet no one asks what the people want. I always say it is what it is...you can buck the system and it really does you no good, or you can just go with the flo.

Do as the black back bison do...put on the blinders and continue on through the storm. As the black back will be out in a few hours, vs. the regular bison will sit and wait for it to pass, but will be stuck in the storm for days.

Anyway, just food for thought...

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
BUT if your boss comes to you and says "The ads on the forum are not generating enough $$ to support them" MOST people would need the following information to straighten the problem out.

a. How much does it take to run the forums (annually)?
b. How much does current income contribute (per click thru, per conversion, per ad served)
c. Is there someone in the company ACTIVELY working on expanding the advertiser pool?
d. is there a max on the number of ads, or advertisers?

In all probability, someone did do that, just not the person you are talking to. Again, don't assume that because Christopher doesn't know or didn't do the calculations, that they weren't done. This is a company that has many magazines in their portfolio. This is not their first rodeo. HP/SW straightens out the problems and mandates the changes, Christopher carries it out.

And a lot of people are making an assumption that the only goal is to cover costs.

IF there is a section where people can sell crap, is there a listing fee? I really don't see a problem if someone is going to sell something for $100 charging them $1 or $2 to do so.
Interstingly enough, that was tried and people revolted like SW had stolen their babies.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If ya speak up bluntly you are labelled a troublemaker and a bad seed....poor sensitive guys....boo hoo. I would love to see how they would react in person...we might see actual tears.
Yup that would be me. Just a thin skinned sensitive sorta guy who is crumbling under the pressure of your blunt speaking.

Ya, Right!:D

L

lynxer292b

Jan 19, 2009
Snowmobile Websites are like bars. I hang out in all of them, but now there is a cover charge. Sorry guys, but there are pleanty of free sites that I have just as much fun on. I think you will see a large drop out rate of members. They will go other places. I think the donating member thing is a good idea and I think it was working well. Making it manditory will discourage new membership and visitors.

Those are my pennies.

lynxer---------out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features