• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oiler stuck wide open

J
Jan 20, 2009
Iowa
I have a 1998 600 Polaris XC that the oiler cable broke on. The spring on the oiler pushed the arm around backwards, and I used over 2 quarts of oil in about 30 miles.

I didn't run out of oil, but what I'm worried about now that the cable has been replaced is all the extra buildup inside of the engine. Any ideas on how to de-carbon the engine? or do I just forget it ever happened and ride like normal?

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Ride it like you usually do. That full on feature is better than no oil at all and seizing everything up.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
64 oz in 30 miles, hmmmm, so slightly over 1 oz per 1/2 mile.

Or.

Assuming you were averaging 30 mph and 6000 rpm, that comes out to about 562 revolutions per ounce.

Not sure where all this excess oil would be hiding in the engine case.

It probably smoked more than normal, but I'd keep riding it.

VB

Last edited:

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
It'll burn right through, did it before with my old '98 700xcsp when I had it. And you can't even tell it was running rich w/oil unless there was someone behind you.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Iowa
Oil

Yeah i really couldn't tell anything was wrong. People behind me said their eyes were burning and eventually flat out refused to follow me, but other than that it smoked a little extra after idling and when started. I thought the engine was going to grenade, so I was a little more optimistic when I found the broken cable.

Premium Features