• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Marine 2 cycle?

C
Jul 11, 2015
Toledo, OH
The only 2 cycle oil I can find that is sully synthetic is marine. Is there any reason I can't use this. Right now I am running the sled on 79 and 80 degree Temps because it has wheels on the front. If so what is the reasons out of curiosity. Thanks.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
The only 2 cycle oil I can find that is sully synthetic is marine. Is there any reason I can't use this. Right now I am running the sled on 79 and 80 degree Temps because it has wheels on the front. If so what is the reasons out of curiosity. Thanks.
Normally no for two reasons: outboard oil is not made for cold temps and marine engines have lower poweroutput per cc than sleds.

It being summer the low temps are out, but I would be vary. At least check what specs the manufacturer prescribes against the oil you want to use.

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Ben,

You can order some good oils online... I really recommend Legend oil... they are nearby you in Michigan... so shipping should be less expensive.
http://www.legendperformance.com/products-page-2/2stroke/zx-2sr/

If you are on a budget... and want to run full synthetic... Lucas Full-Synth Sled oil... order out of Ohio from Summit Racing...and ships for free in case quantities.
Although I do NOT put this in the same class as the Legend oil... not for corrosion resistance or lubricity.... but it's OK... best in this price range IMO.
http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/luc-10847/overview/

Here is the main reason I do not recommend "lesser" or "cheap" oils in the New Cfi 2 strokes...and is really not discussed but is VERY important.

THEY RUN A CRANCASE THAT IS DRY EXCEPT FOR OIL.

An 800 PRO/AXYS engine...does not run any gas through the crankcase...

From a previous thread
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post
11-17-2012, 03:05 PM
One thing to consider in this day/age of "DRY" crankcases... where there is actually NO fuel in the crankcase to bring the oil up into the system... UNLIKE the CFi 4 systems.

The oil for these dry-case motors must not be very tenacious... it has to flow easily through the bearings inside of a dry warm case/rods/crank and then up into the transfer ports to lubricate the cylinders.

So the old guard of saying that Mineral based oils work best, may not be OK. I'm not saying that you have to use VES gold... but you should use a good oil that will have the correct properties to run in these very recently different engines.

I've noticed that my friends who run synth like Redline, VES G+ etc smoke more after a week of sitting than the guys that use older mineral based oils... I belive that this is because the mineral based oils will cling to the parts more than the synth and no "pool" in the bottom of the crankcase like many of the pricier synth oils do.

The new synthetic oils run off the parts easily.. so much so that they do not protect the engines during summer storage... or even a week on the trailer in the cold... that is why fogging a motor is even more important than ever.

I'm looking into this right now and hope to have a better report up here soon.

This "dry case" situation is true for the PRO RMK/RMK engines from 2011 to present... and for the E-Tek engines.

eric, are you saying that none of the injected fuel makes it into the bottom end of this engine?

That is what I'm saying, yes.

The crankcase is dry of fuel, oil flows from the oil injection points in the case and moves up the transfer ports.

I'm a strong believer that the "right" oil is important... It must be able to move easily in a relatively dry engine case and up through the transfers to keep everything happy inside. More than just simple criteria of lubricity these days.

My 2 cents

attachment.php

Screen shot 2015-08-02 at 3.41.06 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Dave64

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2013
Anoka, MN
TCW3 Oils

TCW-3 oils which are made for outboards are actually designed to run at cooler temperatures, they run an open loop cooling system where they take cool water from the lake and circulate it through the cooling system. Snowmobiles and most others use a closed loop system where the coolant gets to a warmer temperature. I have had very good luck using Arctic Blue for the past 20-25 years. I use the cheaper semi synthetic because I like the mineral oil portion for corrosion protection and have found that my exhaust valves have been very clean. The price is also hard to beat. Just my 2 cents.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Pour point of -60F. It sounds like decent oil. I couldn't see a price for it on this website.

http://www.comolube.com/sfl_benefits.asp

Rumor has it they make Polaris oil. Now again that is just something I have heard, but have heard it multiple times. They are based out of MN, so that makes since also. I have run their stuff and it works really well. Been running Mystik JT-4 the past couple years, unless I can't find it, then its Arctic Blue.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
A little anecdotal evidence, but a long time ago I tried yamalube marine in my dirt bike cuz it was the only thing available in town, replaced the crank 5 miles later. Would not recommend.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Ive used Arctic Blue the last couple of years and have liked it. Ive heard the rumors that they (Como Lube) makes polaris oil, and believe it. The semi-syn that ive been running, i swear is Polaris blue...

They do make a full syn, i wonder how it is compared to polaris ves.

Think i paid around $15/gal. and the full syn is like $20, from Mills Fleet Farm.

Edit:
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/arc...yn-2-cycle-snowmobile-motor-oil/0000000231310

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/arctic-blue-2-cycle-snowmobile-motor-oil/0000000231309

Ive been fairly picky with oil ive used over the years, always ran "the good stuff". Did my research before switching to AB, and have been happy with it.

Ya know its almost riding season when the OIL thread gets goin! :)

Last edited:
S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
Used that stuff in my 09 M cat, 11 M cat, 09 Doo, without any issue. I have not used it in my Pro however. Using VES gold as I don't want to take any flack over warranty issues.

Ive used this in all my recent sleds also. 07 700RMK 1500ish miles on SLP piped and ported motor. 09 800 Assault 500ish miles SLP Piped and Ported. 13 RMK 600 miles SLP Stage 3. No issues FWIW.

Premium Features