• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 Aviator review

Backcountry Bandit

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2008
i normally dont do this but i had to write a review on these mofo's!

not only were they shipped in a decent time frame BUT i also recieved a bunch of goodies in the box as well! must say i am impressed with 509..BIGTIME. this i s a first time purchase from them and will not be the last. YES these goggles are steep in price BUT....seriously......they are the BEST goggle out there.....HANDS DOWN. every year i buy new eyes (im pretty careless with them, never put them in their case etc) lookin for a "better" lense or something. i ran have ran SPY's and Smith Warp as of recently. i have about 130 mountain miles this year all wearin the new eyes. i cant believe the difference. the more you can see out of your peripherals is insane. the view is perfect. the design is the best design for mx style helmets. it fills in every gap. i bearly need a balaclava anymore...for real. i did not buy their helmet so i can imagine it has an even better seal. i run a CLX4 Vapour HJC. you will see alot more goggles copyin these. they are really that good. worth every penny. anyone else run these?

DSCN1840.jpg

DSCN1844.jpg

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Those do look sweet! I know it's been asked but is 509 planning or do they already have polarized for this gogg?

Backcountry Bandit

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2008
im not sure? but you can give em a call. Tom, i think, is who i talked to. stand up guy from what i can tell.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Very much a stand up guy, I just have not looked for the responses to the question. I'm sure he has answered it. I rode with the new 509 helmet last weekend, loved it.

FYI. The standard HJC breath guard works great in it on a cold day....you will need a little extra velcro than what HJC provides however.

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
Thanks for the review!

Yes we will eventually release polarized for these goggles. Unfortunately it won't be this season. Our target is a fall release next season.

R
Nov 26, 2007
These goggles are awesome. I have been out on deep pow days with them and no more wiping snow from the lenses, no place for the snow to build up. 10 outta 10 for me.

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I get to try the new helmet and goggles in the morning. Got some quick straps and a different lens coming.
Helmet1.jpg

Last edited:
A

auggie11

Dec 10, 2007
Longmont, CO
I also have ordered these new aviator goggles. I still have yet to use them so no experience on that. I'm actually still waiting on getting my actual pair as I've had these goggles shipped to me twice and both time the lenses were scratched right above the nose. Very dissappointing. Also the first time I ordered the Gold crome and they sent me their stock general grey cause the gold crome was on backorder. I really hope they ship unscratched goggles to me as I did try them with a helmet and they were awesome. I've been running Oakleys and loved them so these are even an improvement over them. Just would like a better packed and shipped product to keep them from scratching on the plastic case they are sent in since they have no frame to protect them from the plastic box. ok rant over!

Great goggles though and they look awesome can't wait to recieve mine!

Auggie

Backcountry Bandit

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2008
I also have ordered these new aviator goggles. I still have yet to use them so no experience on that. I'm actually still waiting on getting my actual pair as I've had these goggles shipped to me twice and both time the lenses were scratched right above the nose. Very dissappointing. Also the first time I ordered the Gold crome and they sent me their stock general grey cause the gold crome was on backorder. I really hope they ship unscratched goggles to me as I did try them with a helmet and they were awesome. I've been running Oakleys and loved them so these are even an improvement over them. Just would like a better packed and shipped product to keep them from scratching on the plastic case they are sent in since they have no frame to protect them from the plastic box. ok rant over!

Auggie

dont worry man, they'll set u up! you'll love these goggles

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
Sounds like you are ordering through a dealer and not direct through 509. We've had zero Aviator returns directly. Dealers require different packaging (ie retail box) and there was a few damaged lenses, but we have since corrected this.

Also no spare lenses are available yet, however I believe they will be in on Monday.

Auggie

Backcountry Bandit

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2008
This season lenses will be available in...

Bronze (standard)
Yellow
Clear
Blue Mirror
Gold
Chrome

Goal is to release polarized for next season.

ooooooooo.....bluuuuuuue!

how much for the lenses?
i will order em up asap!

xcrash911

Lifetime Membership
509 Goggles are awesome!! I just tried my polarized lenses today and they worked great!!

on another note about 5 miles into our ride I looked over at my buddy vertical goader and asked him, "did you peel the protective film off the inside of your new 509 goggles"?

No he had not, and he still thought they were the greatest goggles ever!! :p

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Wore my aviators for the first time this weekend and the goggles were great. Fit comfortable on my head and helmet. It was a chest deep day and pretty brisk out. Had no problem with fogging or snow sticking to the outside. Fit and finish was top notch.

The only problem I had was the flat light on the second day. The bronze lens's did ok but I did end up switching to a different pair to gain some visibility back. But with new lens's now available....these will definitely be my #1 goggles

S
Aug 31, 2008
I'm running sinisters that I picked up last fathers day with the polaized lenses and their great(tony the tiger reference). I minute they come out with the polaized lense for the aviators I will be purchasing.

Premium Features