• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FXR helmet with 509 goggles. fogging issue

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Just trying to find a solution to goggle fogging. FXR mountain helmet, Klim balaclava (the one that deflects breath). When I use my Klim goggles I don't get any fogging. I have a pair of 509 goggles that I really like but they fog like crazy with this helmet. Any solutions? Thanks.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
1. not sure if these goggles has dual lens? dual lens are a first step to have "Less" fogging :)

2. absolutely every google will fog if the foam touching your face will get wet from sweat, this is because there is moisture transition from the foam to the inside of the google. To prevent that I carry 3-4 pairs of googles and I change them throughout the day

Bulldog

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
O:face-icon-small- Of all the goggles I have used 509 are the worst. You could not give me a pair again. Best Oakley then either Scott or Smith. My 2 cents

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
I have an FXR helmet with 509 aviators and I don't have any issues with them fogging. If you have a breath box in your helmet get rid of it because all you are doing is blowing hot air into it and cold air hot air and a breath box is a disaster IMO

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The only fix is to use the goggles that work for you. Every face profile and everyone's head is different. Then add in the difference in the way people build heat, and presto you have combos that work for some and don't work for others. Once you get a helmet / goggle combo dialed in and working, buy extra goggles and run with it.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
A couple thoughts for you.

Does the 509 seam to seal better around your face? Is the KLIM goggle letting air in around the foam to vent better? If so your head is getting to warm and that seal around your 509 goggles is holding the heat in that the KLIM is allowing escape. That KLIM balaclava can be nice on the colder days but for me personally it's warm most of the time and gets my head to warm. If I'm running a KLIM F4 Helmet is no big deal as it vents better but anything else I get to warm. I switched to a lighter balaclava a few years back and all fogging issues have gone away with every brand.

Which 509 goggle are you running? If it's the original sinister lots of people had fogging issues with those vs the newer X5 and Aviator.

And like FatDogX said sometimes people just have better luck with certain brands and no matter what they do one brand just works for them better.

But for me I found that once I was able to better control the heat of my head I could put on any goggles and run them and the only time I have a fogging issue is when I have a face full of snow on those really deep days.

I hope some of this helps...

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
O:face-icon-small- Of all the goggles I have used 509 are the worst. You could not give me a pair again. Best Oakley then either Scott or Smith. My 2 cents

I have not had great luck with my 509 goggles either. I have a Klim and a Motorfist helmet. My girlfriend has a 509 helmet and has not problem with her 509 goggles. It could be helmet/goggle combo or it could be the way the 509 goggles fit an individuals face!?!?!

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Yeah I switch out the balaclava if I get to warm. They are the 509 aviators. I find they don't fit as good to my face. The Klim goggles seam to seal up a little better. That could be the issue. I also have quick straps on them as well.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho

Could not agree more 509 goggles fog like crazy.. I love Scott and dragon vedettas?

R
Oct 10, 2014
The only fix is to use the goggles that work for you. Every face profile and everyone's head is different. Then add in the difference in the way people build heat, and presto you have combos that work for some and don't work for others. Once you get a helmet / goggle combo dialed in and working, buy extra goggles and run with it.

Exactly what he said. Each person is different. I have 509's and have never fogged..Each google and each helmet fit each person different. Always carry a spare set in case. I almost quit snowmobiling years ago when we were trail riding because of fogging. Personally if it were me and I kept fogging with the same set up, that set up would be gone.

Premium Features