• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you want to cure the belt chatter and hot belts on your Proclimb 800?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that under full shift the flex of the plate and of the jackshaft is going to pull the angle of the clutches together and force the belt to twist somewhat and therefore slipping.

Or...

Depending on how much the torque link and mount flexes while the engine twists, the jackshaft bearing movement will slightly change where the secondary is in reference to the primary, especially if the jackshaft flexes when under load.

I'm curious but you've got me going over this. At a glance I'm going to say that mount won't last long.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
From the first picture, it shows that the green thing can vibrate on its rubber mount. There are three areas of force competing on one link (green thing).

Second picture shows the engine supported by greenie. Jack shaft solely supported and an insufficient rubber. Ever have one?

To me, the goal is to mount greenie so it absorbs the torque of the engine and its vibrations and not transfer through the insufficient rubber to the jack shaft. Thus stopping the vibrations.
How did I do?

S
Sep 25, 2011
I believe what is happening is the weight of the engine is compressing the rubber mount on the aft portion of the torque link when the engine is at rest. Clutch alignment is established in this configuration, then when the engine is running, the flywheel effect will unload the rubber mount causing a misalignment because the rubber in the mount is soft enough to allow it. Under hard use, it just exacerbates the problem by allowing continual misalignment problems when the engine torques up. Flatland riders will not see the problem as quickly because they don't have the motors loaded up nearly as much keeping belt temps lower, but eventually would see the issues. A stiffer mount would help the problem, but not totally cure it. Thats my stab at it Kelsey.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Looks like a great set up for a 500 fan engine! You get some HP and pull, that whole thing has to be flopping up and down, definatly need a motor mount on the pto side. There would be a lot of force trying to lift the engine up. I guess I still don't totally understand why the clutch would chatter but there may be enough twist to get some chain bind and vibs to the frame.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Could you please just tell us what your fix is RKT. Belts are getting pretty expensive and Ive resorted to just riding my 06 M mod sled.

S

sledhead13c

Nov 29, 2007
ND
Pure guess, but with the motor mount at the rear is the motor raising up under load causing the jack shaft to move towards the rear of the sled? This in my mind could cause the secondary to tilt slightly putting some side load on belt?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Pure guess, but with the motor mount at the rear is the motor raising up under load causing the jack shaft to move towards the rear of the sled? This in my mind could cause the secondary to tilt slightly putting some side load on belt?

NICE!!!.. also, what is happening at the primary??.. Remember this side of the engine is SOLELY supported by the torque link

S
Sep 25, 2011
With the jackshaft bearing mounted in rubber, and the bottom of the torque link just under the jackshaft mounted in rubber, and the whole forward portion of the link supporting the weight of the motor and the movement of the motor, you will get momentary differences in phase between the mount in the link and the rubber mounted bearing causing many small alignment issues. Long story short, the jackshaft bearing mount and the lower mount are moving out of phase causing momentary differences in offset and center to center measurement.

Last edited:
S

sledhead13c

Nov 29, 2007
ND
NICE!!!.. also, what is happening at the primary??.. Remember this side of the engine is SOLELY supported by the torque link

Ok with the tcl bolted to the motor the plate should stay parallel with the primary? So,, do we have some additional load transfer to the tcl causing it to flex as in a twisting motion?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Ok with the tcl bolted to the motor the plate should stay parallel with the primary? So,, do we have some additional load transfer to the tcl causing it to flex as in a twisting motion?

OK, Schmeg, nice work also..

Not so much twisting (although that coul dbe a factor as well) but think of where the pivot point is located... Get it PIVOT??

OK, now we know the problem.. Very easy to fix.. I have implemented/tested 1 solution but have 3 ways that would work well..

Let's here your solutions.

S

sledhead13c

Nov 29, 2007
ND
Im starting to think an additional motor mount may be needed towards the front of the tcl?

M
Nov 26, 2007
??

With the PTO side of the engine only supported by the plate, when the far side of the engine moves on the rubber engine mounts, it moves/misaligns the primary clutch which is on the other side of the PIVOT/plate attachment point .

I presume they still use rubber engine mounts.

Premium Features