• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat copyright infringement

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
http://www.supertraxmag.com/article.asp?nid=2139

Anyone know what would even be the infringement? I can't think of anything in the new models that is a copyright infringement. The secondary clutch seems alot the same? The Brake being in the same location? I am pretty sure that cat had a driveshaft mounted brake first. . . Hmmm I am confused. . . Anyone with ideas?

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Me too. . . Seriously if anything the polaris is much more like the cat. . .. . . I don't see anything that is the same. . Not even the same idea really. . . But better watch out doo has alot of money. . .

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Good luck BRP, you are going to need it. What a waste of time and money...

Time and money that could be put towards R&D.

C
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
Curious on why this is coming up now, Why would they have not made a fuss back in March when the sled was released.

Also why is Route 12 involved, I know that is the place John Dee get his Demo every year.

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
It says its only the F800 platform whats so different from that frame to the M8 i thought it was all the same besides part of the tunnel

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
This stuff has happened before where snowmobile manufactures want something in return as far as technology from the other manufacture. Polaris sued Skidoo or vice versa years back over coupling blocks and one or the other gave them the rights to the reverse. Ski-doo must need something Arctic has a patent on.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This stuff has happened before where snowmobile manufactures want something in return as far as technology from the other manufacture. Polaris sued Skidoo or vice versa years back over coupling blocks and one or the other gave them the rights to the reverse. Ski-doo must need something Arctic has a patent on.

This kind of thing is very common in the tech world, kinda of a bluffing game, to get something you don't have or slow down the competition a little. ACTUALLY proving & winning the case itself, on the other hand, is VERY unlikely, but it may net them a profit in a different manner. Call it legal extortion if that makes sense.:face-icon-small-win

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
This is an example of lawyers at their best. Doo has 'patents' on a truss structure frame and positioning the rider near the center of gravity? Huh? Bridge builders and figure skaters better watch out next! Lol

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
I got a feelin'

I think it's possible that Cat's new sled is a hit and that they may have dethroned BRP from "N0.1 in sales" and that's making them a little testy.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I just don't get it what a waste of time and money. . . . the fact that the spars go back to the tunnel on the proclimb and procross is very similar. . . But really. . . . . Like said above. . . I bet doo wants the Torque Control Link!!!!!! Cause it is probally the most benefical part on the new sled. And I could see where ski doo could really really use this. . the clutches would likely work very very well!!!!! Don't et

Premium Features