• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.8 miles and seized!

Nickname

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Sweden
One thing to think about is if dealer fill the tank with let say 2 galon with 100:1 mix.
And then you fill it up to 10 galon and don't add oil, course dealer told you it was taken care of. And then you have som airbubbles, it will be real lean.
Just a thought.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
if break in was a real issue to the manufacturers for the rings then im certain they would not have synthetic oil for the first hundred miles or so...so i assume that THEY assume that most people take it kinda easy at first with different throttle positions and limited WOT..which i think for the most part is just fine and dandy..
As for some of these failure issues..well i just don;t think that they are dealer issues..i think likely factory issues on some of these failures..and it may end up being tolerance issues..
Why do i think its this possibility...well if i was i worker in Japan and i seen corporate Japan fail the safety of the population the way the workers have there in the post tusami/nuclulear meltdown...well i think i would just stop caring as well the job i was doing just to make money for their sorry butts...just maybe its possible that the japanese workers mentality is lowering to that of ours..??..boy its sad to say that..
I surely hope those affected are Blessed with epic days later to make up for it.!!!!

ac4life

Premium Member
Jun 29, 2008
My dads pro climb made it 12 miles today before it seized. We were in 18-24 inches of light dry POW! and had a lot of elevation to gain before we got where we were going :( It never acted up until the moment it seized, was on deceleration as he was stopping to take a look at the view. No warning lights or any type of symptoms that it was going to seize. Let it sit for 20 minutes but it never loosened back up. Bummed it happened for sure but I really like the sled.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Was he going fast before he slowed down? Either real lean? Oil starvation if it didn't have mix in tank? But I suspect a clearance issue in the piston assy or a new supplier of substandard pistons? Basically doesn't make any sense except the new efficient cooling system over the old M style? Does he have a later model with the depressed exhaust shroud? Just trying to see if it is more related to the earlier models as opposed to the later? Mike

ac4life

Premium Member
Jun 29, 2008
Was he going fast before he slowed down? Either real lean? Oil starvation if it didn't have mix in tank? But I suspect a clearance issue in the piston assy or a new supplier of substandard pistons? Basically doesn't make any sense except the new efficient cooling system over the old M style? Does he have a later model with the depressed exhaust shroud? Just trying to see if it is more related to the earlier models as opposed to the later? Mike

no he wasn't going 'fast,' outside of 3 or 4 slow smooth 3/4 or wot bursts/decels we were really gentle on the throttle. We were both worried about it seizing as I have been reading here on snowest. When it happened we were just cruising up the trail, had just gone around a sharp corner and were pulling to the side of the trail to stop, it happened when he was probably going just 3-4 MPH. Tank was mixed to the specs from a.c. I'm not sure about the depressed exhaust shroud? I searched the forums but didn't see anything about it.

edit: we didn't pull plugs or the pipe or anything like that yet, so not sure about anything we could diagnose from that. He is taking it to the dealer on monday.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Something is a miss, the more I think about it the oil tank is mounted low in the frame and not really gravity fed as M series but you think this would have shown up in the 3 yrs of prototypes and been corrected! Other than improperly adjusted oil pumps on a few who knows. The pipe indent is on later production to have more clearance for the hood but dealer is supposed to replace the non indented ones! This is why I will not buy 1st yr. sleds!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Something is a miss, the more I think about it the oil tank is mounted low in the frame and not really gravity fed as M series but you think this would have shown up in the 3 yrs of prototypes and been corrected! Other than improperly adjusted oil pumps on a few who knows. The pipe indent is on later production to have more clearance for the hood but dealer is supposed to replace the non indented ones! This is why I will not buy 1st yr. sleds!

It has a PUMP, gravity has little to do with delivering oil to the engine, as long as the pump suction line is covered in oil all should be good

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
You know we ran strait gas through 6, 2 strokes this year by accident (kids grabbed wrong gas can filling up between motos)

15 minute they all ran on strait gas. ran next tank mixed and not one blew up or had an issue (thank god!)

I know these 800's are a little more high performance then ktm 50's, kx 65's and kx85's but just seems like it would go farther then .8 miles with no oil.

I could totally be off base here or maybe we just got real lucky that the little bit of gas left in the bikes before they filled up lubed them enough!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
You know we ran strait gas through 6, 2 strokes this year by accident (kids grabbed wrong gas can filling up between motos)

15 minute they all ran on strait gas. ran next tank mixed and not one blew up or had an issue (thank god!)

I know these 800's are a little more high performance then ktm 50's, kx 65's and kx85's but just seems like it would go farther then .8 miles with no oil.

I could totally be off base here or maybe we just got real lucky that the little bit of gas left in the bikes before they filled up lubed them enough!!

Did it once on a rm 250 with high comp piston climbing a 1000ft hill, (steep azz hill) also did it on a sled once, friend ran out and dumped in another friends gas and spaced the oil and rode it out to the truck. Nothing happened. .8 miles is a tolerance issue and might not of happened if the dealer would have broke it in right in which case it would have more than .8 miles.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'm sure that there will always be variables in how far a motor will go w/o oil. What we don't know is, how many times it was started and for how long it was run before he actually rode it. Either way it sucks for all involved.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
If it was a tolerence issue, how would it help if the dealer broke it in right? You can't wear in tolerence. Dealers don't break them in, you do. Dealers put them together, adjust track, clean clutches and adjust what it needs. They put some mixed fuel (if called for) and start them up. Then recheck track tension and belt adjustment. Thats about it. Then it is up to the owner to follow manufacters recomendations for fuel and break in proceedure.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
I let it idle fir probly 10-15mins until the cooler wad hot to the touch 2 separate times, and like I said it smoked more then my buddies new pro

Either way I'm getting a new motor do let's hope round 2 has better results for me! And according to the guys at AC my sled was the second one to go down, and that's straight from the horses mouth so I think we can all relax!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
When I referred to mine being the second one to go down it was for this problem in the proclimb/procross chassis for this year! And don't you think it's kinda funny with in days of mine going down AC post a bulletin about it???!!!!!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I know 2 stokes can survive no oil for a while but you have to remember these were brand new possibly dry , no oil on em, tight two strokes. I can see that set up seizing in 1 mile if there is zero oil.

M
Bad Luck

Just put 30 plus miles on my new PC 800 ran like a top. Added 16 ounces of oil on top of whatever Cutlers added. Rode real easy with my three year old first 15 miles then opened it up a little bit and still no problems. The chassis may be new but the motor is a proven powerplant so to say the pro climb is prone to meltdown is definately off. Lemons happen in every motorized machine and being negative wont help anything. Sucks to be out of a sled but at least its early season and Im sure AC will figure out whats going on. If this is a factory issue well see recalls otherwise might want to double check your dealers set up work.

Premium Features