• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 M8 153 Scale picture

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
How about a FAIR comparison?

This is a repeat of a post made in another section . . .

At some point it would be nice to see all the brands of NEW STOCK sleds, weighed by an UNBIASED person/business, COMPLETELY FULL of all fluids and fuel, no light weight mods, turbos, etc., etc... Just out of the crate, install all of the parts that dont come pre-assembled, fill 'er up FULL with all fluids and gas...and weigh it.

That really is the only true way to tell what each one weighs. I think dry weights are a crock of crap...to be honest. After all, we all DO ride with a full tank of gas and all fluids...right?

Cheers!

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
This is a repeat of a post made in another section . . .

At some point it would be nice to see all the brands of NEW STOCK sleds, weighed by an UNBIASED person/business, COMPLETELY FULL of all fluids and fuel, no light weight mods, turbos, etc., etc... Just out of the crate, install all of the parts that dont come pre-assembled, fill 'er up FULL with all fluids and gas...and weigh it.

That really is the only true way to tell what each one weighs. I think dry weights are a crock of crap...to be honest. After all, we all DO ride with a full tank of gas and all fluids...right?

Cheers!

It's been done with the 2011 sleds...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7C54TXQLc

Pro RMK 155--532
Summit X 154--550
M8 HCR 153--556
Nytro SE 153--601

All weights were done on a set of race car scales...about as accurate as you can get.

All weights are 100% full of ALL fluids and 100% bone stock.

Arctic Cat claimed that the new sleds would be very close to 2011 weights and that's pretty close to what we are seeing.

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
So according to Fred the xp has gained 50 lbs. hmm. And the new cat is 20 whole lbs heavier than the pol. Wow. ..... When should I start to panic?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
A fair weight comparison

It's been done with the 2011 sleds...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7C54TXQLc

Pro RMK 155--532
Summit X 154--550
M8 HCR 153--556
Nytro SE 153--601

All weights were done on a set of race car scales...about as accurate as you can get.

All weights are 100% full of ALL fluids and 100% bone stock.

Arctic Cat claimed that the new sleds would be very close to 2011 weights and that's pretty close to what we are seeing.

Sweet!! I had not seen that one. "Wet weight" is definitely a more accurate way to compare.

I believe the new Pro Climb put on 12 pounds from last year, so the new weights stack up as follows:

Pro RMK 155--532
Summit X 154--550
Pro Climb 153--568
Nytro SE 153--601

So for this thread's sake, that puts the Cat 36 lbs heavier than the Pro RMK.

Cheers!

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
Sweet!! I had not seen that one. "Wet weight" is definitely a more accurate way to compare.

I believe the new Pro Climb put on 12 pounds from last year, so the new weights stack up as follows:

Pro RMK 155--532
Summit X 154--550
Pro Climb 153--568
Nytro SE 153--601

Cheers!

Good points except for the picture of the 2012 pc hanging on the scale wet at 555.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND

Pro RMK 155--532
Summit X 154--550
Pro Climb 153--568
Nytro SE 153--601

Cheers!

You Polaris lovers crack me up. A guy shows the hanging weight of a Proclimb and you still want to add pounds on to it. The fact is once both sleds have cans put on them they wil be within 15 lbs of each other. Then when you reinforce all the weak spots on the Pol, you will be within 10lbs. I will take a 15lb heavier sled that will still be together in 4 or 5 years cause they will get handed down to my boys to ride.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
You Polaris lovers crack me up. A guy shows the hanging weight of a Proclimb and you still want to add pounds on to it. The fact is once both sleds have cans put on them they wil be within 15 lbs of each other. Then when you reinforce all the weak spots on the Pol, you will be within 10lbs. I will take a 15lb heavier sled that will still be together in 4 or 5 years cause they will get handed down to my boys to ride.

Some of them have trouble with even the simplest tasks.....

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
here is a little closer weight of the etec i read last year

"Johnny i'ts still lighter than yer puddy cat!

I weighed my 154X and told you this already.

The scales were car scales and the owner expects them to be 10 lbs high as his new Pro RMK weighed 455lbs on them when all others are reporting 446lbs.

The new doo weighed in at 505 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel and full oil tank.

its got no e-start either.

We figure 15 lbs of fuel and 5 lbs of oil, that makes it about 475 lbs

Brp claims 459 lbs dry

There is about 10 lbs of coolant and the other 6 lbs is error, chain oil, brake fluid, grease etc.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Why don't you doo and poo humpers keep you pointless posts in your own sections. This thread has nothing to do with either brand and has been totally jacked by idiots who keep posting the same crap over and over. I'm glad your happy with your sled purchase but that doesn't give your the right piss everyone else off with your constant drivel.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Lol this thread reminds me of fishing storys, yeah in that pic it looks 16 inches but it was 22...

Lol

With the claimed 25 pound weight loss with a hood and a big loss with a can, its sounding like around 400$ for 40 pounds, thats a cheap *** diet!!

-Aksnopro

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
To change the subject a little, because other than frame geometry they are very different. Here is my thoughs on the above post:

Please excuse my ignorance, but why do cat fan boys cum all over themselves for vertical steering? Because someone tells them too?

15" track = inferior (I have seen side by side comparisons), but true it is different.

torque link = promising. We will see, but I think all snowmachines should have this.

better motor- Define better motor?. Better power? about equal to doo in top end power. Better fuel economy?? not better than doo. Longevity??? maybe. The past cat motors are very good, but the midrange hp on the new chasis seem lacking compared to past cat motors (check dyno tech, up to 10 hp less in mid range then an 11 cat and about 10 less for an 11 doo). Oh wait, you probably don't care about facts.

Better Front suspension=???? I havent rode one, have you???? you seem to be high on these cats, but if you haven't rode one but believe they are the best ever because someone said so (someone whose name starts with an R), then have another sip of cool aid. I will with hold my judgement until I ride one (cough cough, Stocker, cough). They are probably very good, but better????? Time will tell.

better belt system???? Again do you have experience with the new chasis?? most likely better than doo, but better than poo??? or better than blue?? maybe, time will tell.

These will probably be very good snowmachines (aksnopro probably calls them sleds, like the lower 48'ers). Time will tell, but like all snowmachines I will wait until I ride one before I claim they are the greatest ever. And I do hope they arent the greatest ever, becaue then I will need another snowmachine!

I should clarify that anyone who doesn't like the facts will compare modified to stock. The "claimed" numbers from the modified are always better than the other companies stock but aren't always better on the snow. Hmmmmm.

2 things I can state from experience,
better motor, the cat is such a better design its not even funny, Look at the way it works. The air comes into the crank case slams against the back of the case then straight up and in the cylinder, boom, and straight out the other side. The others have the air going back and forth. Why do you think the CATS make more power with mods than the rest. Not only to mention comparing how the cat is built to the others its like comparing a old ford small block to a 5.9 cummins. Way over built for a mere 160hp motor.

Second, vert bars make a big difference for some of our riding style, if anyone wants to prove otherwise to me I sure wouldn't mind.

well i really hope they took all their teachings from the m1000 and m800 and threw them out the window when they made this new chassie, from riding a xp, the m1000 felt like riding a rino, and to make it turn was almost a chore

we had a few guys riding the m1000, but they slowly quit riding with us or went doo, plus the extra weight got into our night time activites...lol

proclimb will be great, just wish they had a few to demo last fall

XP's wont touch a setup m1000, I have stomped a hole in every one I have came across, and I was always the heaviest rider. If you want to prove others wise I can still borrow it from my friend and you can try.

shadow conspiracy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Quesnel, B.C.
well i really hope they took all their teachings from the m1000 and m800 and threw them out the window when they made this new chassie, from riding a xp, the m1000 felt like riding a rino, and to make it turn was almost a chore

we had a few guys riding the m1000, but they slowly quit riding with us or went doo, plus the extra weight got into our night time activites...lol

proclimb will be great, just wish they had a few to demo last fall

maybe they quit riding with you because your an idiot. :boink::peace:

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
ya you could be right on a stock xp sled, but add a little performance to the xp and its a different story, thats what i seen

2 things I can state from experience,
better motor, the cat is such a better design its not even funny, Look at the way it works. The air comes into the crank case slams against the back of the case then straight up and in the cylinder, boom, and straight out the other side. The others have the air going back and forth. Why do you think the CATS make more power with mods than the rest. Not only to mention comparing how the cat is built to the others its like comparing a old ford small block to a 5.9 cummins. Way over built for a mere 160hp motor.

Second, vert bars make a big difference for some of our riding style, if anyone wants to prove otherwise to me I sure wouldn't mind.

XP's wont touch a setup m1000, I have stomped a hole in every one I have came across, and I was always the heaviest rider. If you want to prove others wise I can still borrow it from my friend and you can try.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Add a little? Like a BB ? for many thousands , some that didnt work better than stock. There is very few boltons that do anything noticable to the 800r.

Premium Features