• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Import Your GPS Tracks into Google Earth

MillermanSD

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Aberdeen SD
Didn't want this buried in the Garmin thread, but one really nice feature that is basically free in Google Earth is the ability to import GPS tracks. This is really cool after the end of a day of riding and is very easy to do. Simply go up to the tools menu, choose "GPS" then select your brand of GPS unit. I have a Garmin 530 and love it. You can even record a fly through video of your ride and email to riding buddies if the also have Google Earth installed.

This lets you see how close you got to those clearings in the trees but just missed em!!!

S

Skippyspad

Dec 18, 2009
Loveland, CO
You can also create custom maps with google earth from a trail map. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take long. Last night I put 5 of the Colorado trail maps on to my Colorado 400T in about an hour. Below is the link for the instructions. One thing you need to do that they don't tell you is to create a subfolder inside the garmin folder on your unit. Call it CustomMaps. If you are saving it to a SD Card inside your unit, create both the Garmin folder then the CustomMaps subfolder.

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupd...ng-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
Another cool thing you can do with your GPS tracks is put them into google maps and then post that map on here to show everybody where you went riding (if you don't mind everybody knowing where you ride).

You have to convert your .gpx files to .kml files, I use this site to convert.

With your .kml file, then go to http://maps.google.com, login with your gmail/google account, and on the left hand side click "My Maps". If you're new to this, click the "get started" button and then name your map and add any details you want in the boxes provided. Then above those text boxes, click "Import". This allows you to browse and find the .kml file that you created and saved. Voila!! When you have your map made, click on the link on the right hand side that says "Link" and copy the top text box. Then paste it into here using the instructions Christopher has given on posting google maps.

EDIT: I just tried posting one of my maps and for some reason, it doesn't post the tracks that are loaded onto the map. Not sure why, must be something to do with this forum and how Christopher has the tags coded because I've posted this same map up in another forum and it works just fine. Link to map - CLICKY

Last edited:
Premium Features