• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat copyright infringement

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It's a good thing someone didn't copyright the use of a "track" back in the 1960s.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
If you look at when they took over Moto-Ski, those sleds essentially became orange Ski-Doo's. So I think we will see green Ski-Doo's. Or orange Ski-Doo's. Or white Ski-Doo's. Or Black and green Ski-Doo's. Or.........

In any case I'm stocking up on belts, frame reinforcements and polishing up my whining skills.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
--Buy sleds "Made in USA"

--Buying sleds made in French Canada supports the lawyers and TRA clutches

If Bain Capitol (which is based in the United States) owns 50% of BRP, isn't it safe to say BRP is not a Canadian company?
I work for a Canadian company that produces our product in Minnesota.

Another thing, Bain Capitol was founded my Mitt Romney.
If he wants my vote......

Last edited:
B
Mar 27, 2011
Definition of patent infringment

For BRP to be sucessfull in this lawsuit:

1.They will have to show how CAT (made, used, or sold) something written in the claims of the BRP patent. The teeth of patents are in the claims. The claim must match exactly. If Cat can prove that they are even slightly different than the claim; they are off the hook. What benefits Cat is the Fast blade chassis patent. Because of this "prior art" patent; BRP's patent has a much narrower window of protection for BRP.

2. If any "prior art" arises showning any this patents were used in the past in any way shape or form on prior to getting the patent; the patent is then rendered useless. Cat may have this information; but isn't revealing it for the potential legal wrangling that is coming. Arguing this point can be just as effective as the first point.

3. A patent can be challenged further if it is really the combination of two existing prior art ideas. This can also nullify the patent.

4. Because of the above issues I think there is a 95 % change they will settle out of court. This legal posting is part of the "rattling the saber" legal process to officially begin the process.

Although I didn't fully read all the patents the pyramid frame and the tapered tunnel, and the seating positon did catch my attention.

My argument for the seating position is to go look at a old yamaha sno scoot and argure that the REV is really a copy of that on a bigger scale. (Prior art.)

My argument for the tapered tunnel would be to good look at the polaris wide traks built for years and look how the tunnel tapers up in to match the seat. (Prior art.)

My argument for the pyramid chassis would start with pointing out that the BRP design is a slightly modified/improved Fast Blade design. It is more than likely that there is some prior art on this one as well. If I had the time to research it I could point it out.

Remember when patents are approved by the patent examiner; the examinier is neither a expert or historian on sleds to know if there are prior art violations. The patent office expects the person applying for the patent to supply all information of that sort. If the person applying doesn't do diligence in research; the patent can be more smoke and mirrors (to scare the competition) than anything to worry about.

Thats my take as a mechanical engineer and an owner of 10 patents. I could be wrong on this but I wouldn't be afraid to buy a cat.

Bart White

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
I wonder if Yamaha feels left out and lonely. They never get sued..... :)

I know only one guy who bought a new Doo this year. It was Freeride. All the other Doo guys went Poo. :) For some reason, I have seen Doo guys go Poo, but never Cat. :face-icon-small-ton

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Didn't you hear? Some ancient Egyptians put a class action suit against Doo for stealing the pyramid chassis design. Doo had to give them the secret on blowing belts, lost the monopoly on selling belts and went bankrupt. This ended the suit against Cat. Read it on the net.

G
Nov 28, 2008
MN
Suzuki will still own part of cat, they are just building a facility here so they dont have to pay taxes ect for every motor they ship to cat from japan.

simply put theres a cost to ship every motor, why not build it where the sleds are being built?

with all brand new tooling, it should be state of the art! hopefully suzuki puts there quality control measures in stone at the new facility, i dont see why they wouldnt.

2014 Arctic Doo 800 Sno tek

lol.

suzuki has no ownership in cat anymore. Cat bought out suzuki's share a couple months ago and the suzuki rep on the cat board stepped down. The only thing suzuki has to do with cat now is they sell them engines. Cat has been building and designing their own ATV engines for a while now.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Yep, no longer is Suke in ACAT.

Last edited:
H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Yep only agreement Cat will have with Suzuki after 2014 is for Suzuki to supply parts for all the engines they have built for cat over the last 34 plus years.

Premium Features