• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.8 miles and seized!

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I think I am going to mix my first tank at 50-1 and call it good. Even with no oil from the pump it won't die because of no oil. Might smoke like crazy but who cares.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
^^^^wish I would have done the same but ya live and learn! I'm really hoping for a whole new motor out of the deal!

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

B
Nov 22, 2011
Montana
Check the Paperwork that came with your sled...

If they did the proper break in/heat cycle it would have more the .8 miles on it.

The process it to start the sled on a stand, run the motor just above clutch engagement (track is spinning) until the temp light comes on. This takes 8-12 miles not .8.

So my bet is they didn't heat cycle the pistons. Another bet is it looks like a four corner cold seize. But it's from not heat cycling the new pistons.

I did this exact same thing on a brand new top end. I made it about 1.5 miles then it died just like yours, fired back up then stuck. And I didn't do the break in procedure as required.

Thunder

******In your owners manual it says what the set-up instructions are that Arctic cat guidelines consist of....Sometimes sleds come with factory bugs; everyone knows this. Also buddy, no dealer is going to pay some shop tech to sit there and run the track for 8-12 miles ON A STOCK Sled. If there were some mods to the sled I would understand that, but that is what the experienced rider does takes it home and fine tunes it......You don't buy a Bow or rifle and expect to hit a kill shot first time.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Damn I had a 12 M800 50th on order and canceled it for a great deal I got on an 11 model. This thread is making me really glad I did because my 11 M straight rips. This seems like a good reason to do an oil injection delete on these new sleds if you can. Warranty or not, having your sled in the shop for repairs on ride day sucks the big one!!

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
You know we ran strait gas through 6, 2 strokes this year by accident (kids grabbed wrong gas can filling up between motos)

15 minute they all ran on strait gas. ran next tank mixed and not one blew up or had an issue (thank god!)

I know these 800's are a little more high performance then ktm 50's, kx 65's and kx85's but just seems like it would go farther then .8 miles with no oil.

I could totally be off base here or maybe we just got real lucky that the little bit of gas left in the bikes before they filled up lubed them enough!!

BUT were the tanks bone dry when they were filled? Doubt it. The premix these days is great, many guys run 100:1 with no problems in MX bikes.

Back to the OP...

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Damn I had a 12 M800 50th on order and canceled it for a great deal I got on an 11 model. This thread is making me really glad I did because my 11 M straight rips. This seems like a good reason to do an oil injection delete on these new sleds if you can. Warranty or not, having your sled in the shop for repairs on ride day sucks the big one!!

IMO, you hear more about the bad than good. Sounds like Cat has the problem figured out and by the early reports the 12 Ms are going to be so much better, the older Ms value may suffer.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I will know how the prototypes compare to production Thursday:becky:

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Be careful how much oil you guys are putting in the first tanks. More oil is not necessarily better. You could create a lean condition and still burn it down.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
My dealer is trying to give me the same story. So I would like to know. Is anyone running a oil delet with out a programer. Cause this would be no different then premixing with a delete kit.

Premium Features