• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real 850 Feedback from you guys!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Two solid rides so far. 120ish miles.
The first ride was 60, the second also.
Big change between the two. It really began to wake up.

I'm happy with my bottom end out of the box with factory clutching. I would say it's pretty good. Is there room to improve the clutching? Probably.
But my bottom end is snappy, almost like my 910 big bore.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Wasnt too impressed the first day... progressively got better and by the 4th day it was ripping. Bottom end is nothing special like everyone mentions, but that ok I guess, top end makes up for it. Im amazed at how much the front end is in the air at 10k feet. Pulls 8200 all day with 66s in. Motor runs super smooth.

React front end rocks. Still weak tho.

Hand warmers are HOT even at idle. Love this.

Shocks are still meh.

At 130 or 140 miles the sled randomly died, would only start with throttle, and wouldnt idle. Throttle cable was too tight. Backed it off a few turns and was good to go.

Currently at 160 or so miles and 12 or so hours.

Track was poorly aligned and loose, dealers fault I spose.

I’ve been thinking of going to a Cat in 2020 but after spending a few days on this sled I would have a damn hard time switching... IF this thing continues to work the way it has been. It’s stupid fun.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Sled is incredible, 50 miles and no complaints.
WE shocks an improvement over previous models
React is a home run
Smooth power delivery on the bottom is probably a bonus for most of us we will
trench less when going wot from slow speeds
Hand warmers work ... finally

Wife's first ride on the 850 she said something I thought I would never hear her say about a snowmobile....I LOVE THIS SLED.....and it showed. First ride on the 850 in variable/deep snow and she was exploring, playing, climbing, on edge and riding "next level" for her.
End of the day, all smiles and stated it was the first snowmobile that didn't tire her out.

No problems with either 850

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I spent a day on the snow with five 850’s from Kurts Polaris in Missoula. Had a great day riding 60 miles. Brand new stockers were stronger than I expected after reading some of the early reports on here. Two sleds had 160 miles and Kurts gear down kit and clutching. They were awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Just put the first 2 hours on one tonight...had a blast! 3” 163 on the 850 was hooking up good.

One note for guys who haven’t looked... they come set in ethanol mode. If you have non-ethanol 91, make sure to take it out of ethanol mode right off the hop. I made it about 3 miles and remembered to change it..... makes an instant, very noticeable improvement. It definitely doesn’t need extra-extra fuel lol

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Just put the first 2 hours on one tonight...had a blast! 3” 163 on the 850 was hooking up good.

One note for guys who haven’t looked... they come set in ethanol mode. If you have non-ethanol 91, make sure to take it out of ethanol mode right off the hop. I made it about 3 miles and remembered to change it..... makes an instant, very noticeable improvement. It definitely doesn’t need extra-extra fuel lol

Yeah, watch the ethanol setting for sure!!!!!

A
Well I’m sitting at 130 miles now.
This is on 155” w/ 3” track.
It has a TKI belt drive and a can. Otherwise stock.
Running on 90 non eth fuel.
During the first 60 miles it was nothing to impressive to write home about but I gotta day at this point I am completely impressed with this new power plant.
Confidently can say it’s stronger than my SLP stage 2 Axys I came from.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Well I’m sitting at 130 miles now.
This is on 155” w/ 3” track.
It has a TKI belt drive and a can. Otherwise stock.
Running on 90 non eth fuel.
During the first 60 miles it was nothing to impressive to write home about but I gotta day at this point I am completely impressed with this new power plant.
Confidently can say it’s stronger than my SLP stage 2 Axys I came from.

Sounds like you went through the same experience as me. I was starting to think the motor was just a big torqey dud! It wakes up more out of break-in mode than the 800 ever did.

Last edited:

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
I've been a big fan of the Sven saw for years now. Works great, rigid and does really well up to a certain diameter of log. But you can really only cut so much anyway right? Even though it has a limitation on diameter, you can saw around the log and go bigger than the size of the saw. It sits next to my probe in my backpack really well. Blade stays secured when compacted.

https://www.amazon.com/SVEN-SAW-SVE...=UTF8&qid=1545454627&sr=8-1&keywords=sven+saw
WTF?????

A
Ohh and BTW.....
Do remove the pull cord roller for other can installs other than the SLP.
Tested it with keeping the roller as I think it’s a great idea.
It took about 2 miles down the test track to see a melted spot develop.

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I'm at about 6 hrs on mine. And it is really waking up. All stock except for slp comp can. Stock clutching besides changing to 72 gram weights. Pulled 8250 all day at 6k ft yesterday

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I'm amazed at only 2600 views if your sled is running good and like 43000 if it's all blowed up. Bash on the Polaris it's on top.

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Roughly 200 pretty hard mountain miles on mine. Been in some decent powder pulls.

Stock clutching (primary) was not getting the job done. Changed to some adjustable weights and played with RPM quite a bit.

Sled runs much better at a higher RPM. clutches stay very cool. Power is less than the 850 Ski Doo but much stronger than the 800 Polaris (stock)

did not like the narrow ski stance. moved to the widest and it helped a bunch.

Overall, sled is doing well. 3" track works very well too.
Don't like the gauge (hard to read and carries snow)

Rear flap is too hard of plastic. Seen many break already, suspect mine will break soon as well.

R
Sep 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
514 Miles - 2019 850 163 3", SLP Comp Can, Stock Clutching. Running 91 non eth in the appropriate fuel mode. Been riding good snow in MT since end of Nov. Riding generally between 8500-10k. Sled runs well, rich on the bottom imo. I've had to adjust drive belt deflection and track tension twice. Put a set of plugs in at 250 miles. It pulls harder than my 16 800 all the way through and is smoother all the way through the power band. Its not a monster compared to the 800, but out of break in completely, it has a little more power in all situations. Its nothing to rave about, but i enjoy the engine. I plan on switching to 66 gram weights this week to gain a few more rpms. As stated, it has the stock 68s in it. It pulls 8400rpm on the trail @ 6500-8000ft and 8150 rpm consistently until i break over 9000k feet. Then it backs off to around 7900. Noticeable power difference when its pulling proper RPMs @ WOT. Also have a TKI belt drive in the shop that is going on soon. Stock gearing to start and will mess around with gearing after i get it installed. Fun sled overall.

Stander.JPG

Last edited:

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Forgot to mention, Sled is very rich from 3500-5k RPM. Not sure this is going to change without an update and updates scare me because they always remove power up top (usually anyway)

Starting is intermittent if it has been sitting for a while. Usually have to hold the throttle wide open to get it to fire. Not liking this either.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
Ohh and BTW.....
Do remove the pull cord roller for other can installs other than the SLP.
Tested it with keeping the roller as I think it’s a great idea.
It took about 2 miles down the test track to see a melted spot develop.

Are you saying that with SLP cans the starter roller can be left on?

I’ve got an slp comp can and can’t see how it could melt that roller

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My experience with my 850 (not an Axys chassis review) on the first four rides.

My first 11 miles were cut short by the bearing problem. Kurt's Polaris and Polaris Industries REALLY did take care of it quickly. They expressed shipped a short block and I didn't miss a weekend on the snow. The dealer reset my break-in timer, so I have to get to over 11 hours to get through break-in.

So moving on...

I put 120 miles on the new motor in two 60 mile rides. Mostly hard running trail miles (so that I could quickly get the 2 hours break-in minimum above 5000rpm).

At 80 miles on the engine, I picked up about 200rpm. Solidly hit 8250 a few times. Bottom end grunt is strong. Mid-range puts a smile on.
I've hopped back and forth on an Axys 800 a couple times and there IS a difference.

I could feel it burbling and loading up a bit when I'm feathering the throttle in the 6000-7000 rpm range. It's definitely rich. I'm fine with that right now.

Miles 60-120.... REALLY waking up and coming to life. That 8250 is not just something I could hit... It gets there and stays there. 7.8 hours on the new engine at 120 miles (131 on chassis).

Dealer called and said turbo is in. It's far enough through break-in to boost it.

BD Sidekick installed and ready to rock. Intercooled. Right now it's at 6lbs of boost at 5000 feet elevation. Running 50/50 (non-eth 91 and 100LL for about a 95 octane rating).
It's still rich and the turbo makes that more pronounced. I had to aggressive feather through the 6500-7200rpm range so it didn't load up. Strategic throttle work...and O M G this 850 loves boost. WOW. It's an animal and I haven't downloaded the high boost tune yet. I do have some stiff muscles today.

185 miles on chassis now
174 on new motor.
54 on 6lbs boost.

More later....

Last edited:
Premium Features