• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Scott....... You call this vintage forum. ?

Really ? That's interesting.

So you would say that a thread that's under a month old that had over 100,000 views and a thousand posts is vintage.....

I would say you're acting like a coward and afraid to pick a side.

Take off your Polaris cape for a few minutes and tell me or Polaris what you think and stop being such a kiss a$$ kool-aid drinker.

Polaris can make it thru this without your help.....you're acting like you would like to stuff a sock in my mouth.

Spit it out say what you want to say.

Dan

Dan.

Please post or pm the messages your getting from all of this

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Scott....... You call this vintage forum. ?

Really ? That's interesting.

So you would say that a thread that's under a month old that had over 100,000 views and a thousand posts is vintage.....

I would say you're acting like a coward and afraid to pick a side.

Take off your Polaris cape for a few minutes and tell me or Polaris what you think and stop being such a kiss a$$ kool-aid drinker.

Polaris can make it thru this without your help.....you're acting like you would like to stuff a sock in my mouth.

Spit it out say what you want to say.

Dan

Geez. Do you drink when you post? Super uncalled for.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Damn slow internet. I see it now.

Still want to hear a honest answer out of someone involved with corporate Polaris mountain sleds

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Geez. Do you drink when you post? Super uncalled for.

Although Scott has the right, as we all do, to say or not say whatever he wants.

I for one can respect the fact that Dan has called attention to, and made it his mission to stand up for the little guy and try to get Polaris to stand up for there mistake and not stuff it down the line screwing over hard working individuals. After all he has been directly effected by such practices many years ago that still go on today. That’s unexceptable.

It would be in everyone’s best interest to get on board and push for these changes cause it can only make snowmobiling better for everyone....even Polaris!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Here is a question for Dan? If the engine was stressed member for the sled would there be more stress influenced on the bearings/crank and case if mounted on the outer edges rather than a old fashioned cradle support? Could this cause case flexing to move the bearings inward/outward? Does the 850 have enough webbing built into the case to prevent this in your opinion? I was just comparing to the old fashioned way of mounting an engine to the new way even if it is a casted bulkhead it is mounted into. I would assume minimal flex, just not weight savings only? Thanks Mike

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Here is a question for Dan? If the engine was stressed member for the sled would there be more stress influenced on the bearings/crank and case if mounted on the outer edges rather than a old fashioned cradle support? Could this cause case flexing to move the bearings inward/outward? Does the 850 have enough webbing built into the case to prevent this in your opinion? I was just comparing to the old fashioned way of mounting an engine to the new way even if it is a casted bulkhead it is mounted into. I would assume minimal flex, just not weight savings only? Thanks Mike

Good question Mike.

Polaris has battled PTO bearing weirdness since 1997 / 1998 when they stopped using a lock ring on the PTO SIDE outer bearings.

They have resorted to Loctite for the last several years ( on all PTO side inference fit bearings. ) and still some of them come lose and side around wearing out the PTO shaft...... Loctite on a inner race is one thing.

On a outer race is a completely different thing..... Not really a great idea.

I believe the mounting of the motor is no problem at all.

Many others have done it for years.

The difference on the 850 motors PTO bearing...... Is that it has no ( inner bearing race ) .... And the rollers run on the crankshaft itself.

And the outside diameter has no lock ring or pin like ALL Cats & Ski Doo's do.

We have been machining lock ring grooves in Polaris crankcases for almost 20 years.

Dan

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
This whole thread gets more retarded by the day....

Not sure why that is other than there are a lot of opinions going on about locking the crankshaft down.

I more interested in the numbers of these that have actually failed and what Polaris intends to do for a long term fix. Right now it just appears they are sending out new ones or rebuilding them.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Good question Mike.

Polaris has battled PTO bearing weirdness since 1997 / 1998 when they stopped using a lock ring on the PTO SIDE outer bearings.

They have resorted to Loctite for the last several years ( on all PTO side inference fit bearings. ) and still some of them come lose and side around wearing out the PTO shaft...... Loctite on a inner race is one thing.

On a outer race is a completely different thing..... Not really a great idea.

I believe the mounting of the motor is no problem at all.

Many others have done it for years.

The difference on the 850 motors PTO bearing...... Is that it has no ( inner bearing race ) .... And the rollers run on the crankshaft itself.

And the outside diameter has no lock ring or pin like ALL Cats & Ski Doo's do.

We have been machining lock ring grooves in Polaris crankcases for almost 20 years.

Dan

So then, in your opinion, are they that un-intelligent? Or that stubborn? Or designing failure into the product on purpose?

Last edited:

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Dan and everyone else hit the nail on the head with the Dealers. I worked in the industry as a Tech (MMI) and a Service Manager for 10yrs. at Blue,Red, Yellow and HD and have seen MANY recalls. One other thing on Dealers SOME not ALL are very CROOKED themselves and will lie and steal from you as well. The biggest reason I'm not in it anymore and have way more fun with it is a hobby and not a job. However I do Miss it some days. Take care of your customers Polaris!!!! Don't get me started on the whole flat rate and warranty rate thing and how long something should take according to them.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Here is what pisses me off(and I have not had a failure, only one ride)<div>Polaris marketed this as a durability first engine and tried to make snow checks special again so as to retain some resale, etc.</div><div>With all the failures occurring it will be hard to give these sleds away if these failures keep happening. </div><div>From a PR standpoint I would love for Polaris to speak up and admit there are some problems and assure all the people who bought into the marketing hype that they will be taken care of!!</div><div>These failures may be well overblown or exaggerated but there should be next to no sleds going down.</div><div>I would have far more respect from PI if they would issue some assurance RIGHT NOW!!</div><div>I'm starting to not even want to ride this sled until these issues are solved.</div><div>Warranty is one thing but getting stranded 30 miles from the truck in the back country is just not fun after coughing up 14k plus</div><div>POLARIS are you reading these threads??!!</div><div>I have bought a new Polaris every year since 2012 but will look long and hard at another brand next year if we are kept in the dark and not be assured we will be taken care of</div><div>With that said I love the sled and want it to be all that we all hope it will be.</div><div>A sled we all can trust and have confidence in!!</div><div><br></div>

I'm headed to dealer in a few minutes to try to sell mine before it breaks . The 17 and 18 I have are 100% more reliable. My 850 has zero problems but so does thin ice . It's all good and fun till you fall through . And now the neighbors know it's thin and I'm going to have BIG problems getting someone else to jump on!!!

I've had this same problem each year. Polaris ruins my trade values . Now they are Killing the value at all by not addressing this quickly and making customers feel like they care about US!! I have a 2017 Victory also. I will NEVER buy those garbage Indians . They are to small for adults and very cheaply built ..

Dan is right the bean counters are killing Polaris !

Last edited:
D
Nov 2, 2008
Now since the conversation went to the dealer side of things about honest dealers and then those crooked dealers, it would be a great time to go to your nearest Polaris dealer and act like you are interested in buying the 840.

Asking novice type questions such as, "Do you know of any issues with this new model, I mean since it's new, are all the bugs worked out? I'm kinda new to sleds. Ever heard of any breakdowns? How long of warranty do I get? What about that yellow one over there? Is that an 850 too? Tell me about that one." (if they sell Poo and Doo.)

The answers given will really tell a lot about your dealer. Of course they are going to protect their sales and minimize or claim ignorance when it comes to getting the sale. I might try this weekend just for fun.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I got a word from my dealer that my engine will arrive on 30th Jan, that is in 3 weeks.

Most importantly the dealer was told that the replacement engines have the issue fixed :) Unfortunately I have a little bit hard time believing that, my dealer was lied to by Polaris at least on 1 occassion. Any thoughts about replacement engines being issue free?

Premium Features