• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKS/Pro RMK front track shock adjustment.

B
Oct 2, 2017
I have a 2018 SKS 155 with a 2.6 lug. Sled handles and accelerates well ,but doesn't hardly lift skis. I softened the rear track shock a bit and also ski springs. That did nothing so I put it back to stock. Now I put more spring pressure (shortened spring) on the front track spring, but the owner's manual says you can only move it .175 inches from min to max. Is that correct? (On page 69 of manual.) If so that means there is almost zero adjustability. I would like a little advice on what I need to do to lift skis more on acceleration. They don't need to be 4 feet in the air, but a foot or 2 would be great. I am about 210 pounds with gear. According to suspension set up in manual the factory settings sbould be pretty much spot on for my weight. Thanks in advance.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The factory skid setup is designed with very minimal adjustment. It is designed to get the sled onto the snow and moving forward and not pack the skis around. It has quite a bit of preload forward (you notice this when lifting the tail of the sled and putting it back down)

Basically all your sled is working as best it can right now for functional performance and polaris sets it up so you can't corrupt that too much in stock trim. Also, at 210 in gear, flipping the thing over should be fairly easy on most snow on any reasonable incline.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
the owner's manual says you can only move it .175 inches from min to max. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.

Thats not correct. You have far more adjustment then that. Easily an Inch or more of adjustment from min to mix pre-load. I dont have an 18, but I will check the specs on the 17's.

update: so the 17's show the same spec 8.375 to 8.2 That is a very small window, because that is where polaris wants to keep it for best performance. I personally run mine at 8.625 which is past the "max" spec. That setting is just enough pressure to keep the spring in place, and works great for deep snow performance.
I have also ran it as short as 7.5 in the spring when the snow is set up and I want lots of ski lift for creek crossings.

Play around with it and see what you like, you will gain ski lift by making it shorter.

Last edited:

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
What you are trying to achieve won't be possible with the RMK/SKS.. I have an SKS and when i wanted alot of ski lift for fun creek crossing i had to switch rails to the assault 155 rails (direct bolt on) and now it will lift quite a bit more, however, this comes at a cost.

PM me if you need more info!

It will make the sled climb less and trench more. It depends what kind of riding you like to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWKSwy3QuA

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
same boar

I have played with mine quit a bit. With the piggy back shocks it does not react very much and is not as playful as i feel it should be. I just ordered a 190 rear spring and i am going to have TRS revalve a set of stock shocks for me. I may not get it as playful as my skidoos but i will let you know the results. I have run my rear shock as loose as 11.250 and the front as tight as 8 and also added 1/4 inch to limiter. Sled does not react very much to the changes. I also do not need a wheelie machine just looking for a little more playfulness as i believe you are also.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
As others have stated above, you aren't going to make any adjustments to your rear skid that is going to magically turn it into a wheelie monster.

With that said, I was in the same boat after buying my RMK 174. I wanted to do all I could to allow it to lift the skis as much as possible without boosting it or spending a lot of money otherwise, so I bought the Zbroz spring kit for it -

https://zbrozracing.com/exit-polaris-pro-rmk-pro-assault-snowmobile-spring-kit-shock-spring-kit

The center track shock is slightly stiffer than stock, and they have a couple options for the rear track shock specific to rider ride weight. I installed the center track shock at the Polaris recommended factory minimum length (shortest recomended length) and it did sort of pep the front end up a bit. Can I wheelie the sled? No, but it does come up with slightly less effort now when initiating and uphill and downhill carves.

I also did the dual-rate ski shock kit and removed my swaybar as well and I've been very happy with the results.

Premium Features