• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track clip question

S
Jan 21, 2016
track clips

clip your track. There are good advantages, much less friction and saving your track. Remember to set parking brake in steep country or it can role away.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
They make these things called "scratchers". Most sleds come with them. Especially mountain sleds with tall lugs for some reason.

Try using them before your sled hits 180 degrees.

Stop being bitches.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
They make these things called "scratchers". Most sleds come with them. Especially mountain sleds with tall lugs for some reason.

Try using them before your sled hits 180 degrees.

Stop being bitches.
I’m so old, I was riding before scratchers were invented. Not lying. Now back to my afternoon nap.

K
Apr 11, 2010
AK
Just a point of reference but my 2019 SKS 155 2.6" came fully clipped from the factory. I assume its part of the trail performance package they give the SKS over the RMK.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
This has been happening since 2016 has anyone ever figured out what the root cause is? I fully clipped mine and added a wheel kit to combat the wear. Looking at it last night after a day of riding it looked like some more wear. Maybe not may have just noticed something old hard to say. If Polaris has a fix or the new 19's don't have the problem what's different besides clip position? Their tech tip is crap and they should have fixed this from the beginning or warranty early on. They are just making excuses for what is happening. I like how the sled rides and the setup however these little problems that Polaris doesn't want to fix is changing my mind on buying another one.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Curious to see if people are having the same wear issues with the new tracks being clipped on the lug vs non lug 2018 and prior.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
thats why 2019's are clipped under lugs now!
Anyone have a bunch of miles on a track with clips under lugs? Are they ok stock?
Not turbo!

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
2019 track has no issues. Earlier tracks were clipped in the wrong spot.

S
Jan 21, 2016
Clipping the track is one of the best mods you can do. Damage occurs when carving and when on edge. hyfax causes the wear. clipping protects your track and gets rid a lot of friction. As mentioned above set your brake or you will be chasing your sled. Thats how much friction you get rid of when clipping. If you ride your sled flat you will not see much wear.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
2017 Axys fully clipped at 200 miles. The sled was sold with 2100 its track was in good shape. 2018 Axys clipped at 80 miles and know has 500 miles no problems. Very easy to do and does not cost much the tool is the most expensive part. Borrow one if you can to save on money. I have around 2600 miles on sleds with a full clip no problems. I have a friend with a 16 no clips and over 1000 miles (not sure on exact) doesn't like to sidehill and does do ride very hard he has the wear marks. The marks are not very deep and most of the areas look good. Not sure about causes. I do know clipping works either way and it is easy.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
This was on a series IV 144, but I clipped my track for this season, and beyond the cost, there's nothing to lose. It feels like the track spins more freely, and we'll have to see, but I bet the hi-fax lasts longer too. Just one season with the track unclipped caused quite a bit of wear. I used Camso flat clips and Woody's track tool (couldn't find the perforated clips in stock), and it was pretty simple. I'd already cut the windows; a sharp utility knife is all you need for that. You gain a little weight and rotating mass (probably very little over an un-windowed track), but the lower friction makes up for it. The shorter the track, the more it does for you: you need track speed, and I think the 1-2lb you add in track clips is more than made up in track speed.

Sierra G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2017
Which tool did you use to clip the track? Western Powersports has one that looks like bolt cutters and also has one that looks like a shop clamp that you attach a impact wrench to

Premium Features