• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Welcome to Ski-doo Brett Rasmussen

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
since this is getting derailed...

Here is my sled w/ post forward 3 1/2". Bars pretty much inline w/ post. It makes a huge difference. It is closer to the angle of dirt bike forks, not as vertical as Cat or Polaris. My sled is super easy to sidehill on hard/setup snow, however still not quite as good as a Pro but makes up for it w/ other handling characteristics that I prefer.

NICE!

On Pro Freestyle bikes they mod the angle of the front triple clamps to be more vert. I wonder why that is?:face-icon-small-con

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
NICE!

On Pro Freestyle bikes they mod the angle of the front triple clamps to be more vert. I wonder why that is?:face-icon-small-con

Dude give it up. Look at that pic of the crf and try to tell me that angle is closer to a Cat/Poo than a Doo. You can't. Are you now trying to say pro freestyle is more like backcountry sledding than say motocross or single track?

D

druchti

Oct 23, 2009
SASQUATCH, MN
Brett is a phenomenal rider, and BRP knows that. My guess is that he made the switch to BRP because they offered him a sweeter deal than AC, not because of a vastly superior sled design. Brett could ride a 2001 - 600 Mountain Cat and make it look like the best mountain sled ever. Brp has gone headhunting for Brett because he will make Ski Doo sleds look like rippers, and BRP will sell more sleds because of it.

I hope he switched because brp is willing to listen to him on how to build a mountain sled unlike CAT..brp has the motor figured out pretty well from what ive seen ..if they tweak there chassi a lil they could be back on top..burandt left cat because they refused to listen to him..he switched to polaris (who was willing to listen)..and look what happened for them..if they listen to brett i think we will see some good changes for brp..ill def be keeping an eye on what doo has to offer the next couple years

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I wasn't aware of that. More "flickable".

Yes. Quicker / twitchier. Less stable at high speed, way easier to steer. That is why the horz. XP steering is so not right. BRP will get it right soon! I think.:face-icon-small-dis

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
With the long relationship Brett has had with Arctic Cat I find it hard to believe that this decision was based on money.

If the SnoWest team is on their game they will have an in depth interview in the first issue of the season. I know a guy in his position has to be pretty restained in telling the unbridled truth due to past and future business dealings but I would love to hear what he has to say.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
the question isn't whether bret can learn to ride the xm....it's whether an idaho boy can learn to say "eh" three times in one sentence...:usa2:

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Good for Rasmussen, but he is a pure businessman, If you buy a sled because some "celebrity" sez its the best and you BELIEVE that dribble, you are a dope. Ride a sled and then decide for yourself.

My wife SnoJo & I walked out of a seminar he was giving at RMS here in Idaho, he was promoting "Schooled"; His quotes were:

"Cats & Poos are easier to sidehill & boondock than a Doo"
"Cant understand how people ride XP's well"
"Especially Women cant ride XP's in the mountains"

SnoJo got up at the beginning of this speech after he said this and said, "guess that means I dont need to listen to this then" and we walked out, LMFSBO !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

SnoJo is 5'2" 105 lbs., 45 years old at the time, and she can sidehill over 1/2 mile with her old 08 XP in the mountains here in S.E. Idaho, what she can doo now with her etec would put alot of men to shame .......... If you think what they say is gospel, you are a sheep.

blah blah blah, its all about the Benjamins....... PERIOD.
1sm376money.gif
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->.
1sm376money.gif

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I will agree that Bret is a businessman through and through... however in 4 days of riding with him last winter and many phone conversations and emails I never heard him outright bash any brands. He *would* discuss the shortcomings of the XP if asked, but for what its worth he would also speak in all honesty about the other brands as well, even the Cat.
Welcome to Doo, Bret, I'm pretty sure you won't miss those hideous spindles! :D

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Yes. Quicker / twitchier. Less stable at high speed, way easier to steer. That is why the horz. XP steering is so not right. BRP will get it right soon! I think.:face-icon-small-dis

I don't think your example works. The rake and trail of a bike is unrelated to the steering post and bars of the sled.

The trail is comparable to the saddle location on the ski and the rake is related to the sled spindle angle.

The entire steering post/bar angle only effects steering effort but doesn't change the actual physics of the steering the way small rake and trail adjustments do on a bike.

Your example would be like saying your car has quicker/twitchier steering if you tilt your steering wheel up!

I agree that you notice a difference in steering effort but it is due to the non-articulated angle from the top of the post to the riser. This could be solved completely with a cv joint at that point and provide identical results to your vertical post.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I agree that you notice a difference in steering effort but it is due to the non-articulated angle from the top of the post to the riser. This could be solved completely with a cv joint at that point and provide identical results to your vertical post.

Yes. That would change the post angle, also changing the feel from a street bike to a dirt bike feel. I ride standing, others may also, my shoulders rotate at more of a vertical rotation to the sled while standing. It is easier and more natural to turn the bars at that more vertical rotation than at the trail sled angle of the XP. JUST LIKE MY EXAMPLE.

Premium Features