• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
I have NO skin in this game...none. That is the difference between you and me.

Keep fear mongering and maybe you will drum up some business. You know, that business you say you don't need because you are so busy. But yet, you have plenty of time to keep posting on this thread.

Since we are now resorting to name calling, I have never seen a real engine builder be such an online drama queen.

I don’t believe Dan is needing to drum up any busines. Most 850 owners will just keep dropping sled off at dealer using the 4 year warranty. Dan has nothing to gain here. Did you ever think maybe he’s just offering a little insight as to the 850’s issues? I love hearing his ideas. Some here act like Dan is anti-Polaris, he must not be because that’s what he rides. Why does everyone get so butt hurt and offended when he states facts that he has seen first hand?
I don’t get why some here refuse to believe there aren’t any issues with this new motor. This whole deal didn’t just start with a couple anti Polaris trolls. I know parts guys and service people at two different Polaris dealers, and unless they are full of sh!t then there are definitely problems.
I don’t get the, to the death, Polaris brand loyalty by some. Too bad poo isn’t as loyal back.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
In my limited time riding the 850 I thought it was really underpowered I was sure my 800 stage 4 would run circles around it and my 850 Doo would kill it as far as power but not so much in the chassis department. I wonder if Polaris will still offer the 800 next year
the 800 is not going anywhere, especially next year. Maybe in 2 or 3 years. Not everyone needs the latest 850 so they can cather to every budget and still make the guys buying 850 feeling superior. Also I'm sure the 800ho inventory are still too high too abandon them yet. IMO.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
I don’t believe Dan is needing to drum up any busines. Most 850 owners will just keep dropping sled off at dealer using the 4 year warranty. Dan has nothing to gain here. Did you ever think maybe he’s just offering a little insight as to the 850’s issues? I love hearing his ideas. Some here act like Dan is anti-Polaris, he must not be because that’s what he rides. Why does everyone get so butt hurt and offended when he states facts that he has seen first hand?
I don’t get why some here refuse to believe there aren’t any issues with this new motor. This whole deal didn’t just start with a couple anti Polaris trolls. I know parts guys and service people at two different Polaris dealers, and unless they are full of sh!t then there are definitely problems.
I don’t get the, to the death, Polaris brand loyalty by some. Too bad poo isn’t as loyal back.

I also know of a couple Polaris dealers very well, and they have had one only 850 engine failure between the two of them to date. (Maybe a lot smaller dealers up here?) As well I know the Polaris rep for our area well enough to believe him when he says that, they (Polaris) have a total of 75 engine failures as of last Friday. That's less than 1%?? He did mention that the engines that went down did so while still in break in mode and low miles.. So who do you believe? I going to lean his way as every one I know that have an 850 are running the sh!t outta them, and lovin them.. mine included. Also my 2018, 800 would not catch my 2019, 850 in any conditions we've seen so far. Although haven't squared off on a lake yet??
Honestly I have had great support from Polaris right through the Dragon days, and I've had my share of sh!t blown up.. Could be due to an awesome dealer too!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nw-sickboy

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
Meridian ID
I don’t get the, to the death, Polaris brand loyalty by some. Too bad poo isn’t as loyal back.[/QUOTE

I also know of a couple Polaris dealers very well, and they have had one only 850 engine failure between the two of them to date. (Maybe a lot smaller dealers up here?) As well I know the Polaris rep for our area well enough to believe him when he says that, they (Polaris) have a total of 75 engine failures as of last Friday. That's less than 1%?? He did mention that the engines that went down did so while still in break in mode and low miles.. So who do you believe? I going to lean his way as every one I know that have an 850 are running the sh!t outta them, and lovin them.. mine included. Also my 2018, 800 would not catch my 2019, 850 in any conditions we've seen so far. Although haven't squared off on a lake yet??
Honestly I have had great support from Polaris right through the Dragon days, and I've had my share of sh!t blown up.. Could be due to an awesome dealer too!!! :)

LOL at anyone who believes A rep from Polaris is going to tell anyone how many have gone down. Fuel pump, crank bearings, oil lines coming off, bog issues, plugs fouling.... yup nothing to see here.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND

Looks like Polaris is extending warranty and give a voucher for 525$. More than cat has ever did for any of there junk.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
I’m glad Polaris is doing that for the 850 owners. Good deal.
That’s gotta help ease the fear and mental anguish 850 owners are feeling wondering if or when their new highly engineered, highly tested, highly marketed as the most durable sled engine ever, is gonna melt the crank bearings into molten lava and suck a nut.

Last edited:
R
Dec 24, 2008
area rep

i worked at a dealership for 8 years as the head wrench. last person on the planet i would ever trust is an area rep. especially the one mentioned. arrogant azz. in 8 years there were 4 different reps and they were all a carbon copy of each other. must be brain wash type training. lies and deception. the harder they push, the more bonus they get. smoke and mirrors. Good on polaris for stepping up on some extra warranty and in store credits though.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It makes a huge difference that Polaris is giving something out to people whose engines went down. I speculated that something similar in response to the late snowchecks would be a good idea (never heard of any such offering there, unfortunately). Seems like in the past they've just shrugged and said "we'll get you a new motor in a week/month/whatever." I know that wasn't always the case, but plenty of people got turned off by their response to the 900, Dragon 800, and so on.

My hope at the intro was that the 850 would be a big step above the 800 in both power and durability – those results are mixed so far, at least on durability. The backstop to that was that it had to be a noticeable upgrade over the 800, at least reliable enough not to be a time bomb, and most important, that Polaris steps up to keep buyers happy. So far, I don't think things are too far off track. I'd like to see some revisions to the crankcase/bearings and better, more consistent cylinder finish next year. Thing is, even if they screwed the pooch this year and the failures keep mounting, the fixes are easy to implement (other than the cylinder finish, it'd be easy to copy what Dan's doing). Dan said earlier they did do their homework on the bore/stroke and all, and the reports seem to agree. No big issues with vibration, blowing belts, that kind of thing – so, we've come a long way from the 900.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I would like to see the Polaris Warranty in writing! Yesterday we got one of our 18 800 163 RMKs out of the shop on a warranty issue as the wiring harness failed and took the ECU out and these were replaced on warranty but the bill was over $200 and we were told that after the 365th day after purchase the cost of warranty parts to the customer goes up some percentage as time goes past that 365th day after purchase. Anyone know about this or is this a dealer thing?? What does this mean if and when an engine fails, or anything else that costs a considerable amount? I thought Warranty ment Warranty! Still not going to ride another brand soon but who knows what the future holds, as we have 5 polaris sleds in our stable and riding them total of 4000 total each year!
gtwitch in wyoming

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I would like to see the Polaris Warranty in writing! Yesterday we got one of our 18 800 163 RMKs out of the shop on a warranty issue as the wiring harness failed and took the ECU out and these were replaced on warranty but the bill was over $200 and we were told that after the 365th day after purchase the cost of warranty parts to the customer goes up some percentage as time goes past that 365th day after purchase. Anyone know about this or is this a dealer thing?? What does this mean if and when an engine fails, or anything else that costs a considerable amount? I thought Warranty ment Warranty! Still not going to ride another brand soon but who knows what the future holds, as we have 5 polaris sleds in our stable and riding them total of 4000 total each year!
gtwitch in wyoming

If I remember correctly, the first and maybe the second year was covered by Polaris directly, the remaining time, if any, was from a third party insurer. I could very well be wrong though.

gtwitch in wyoming

It is in writing,. it was on the papers you signed when you picked up your sled. For my 850, full coverage for the first year, the remainder 3 yrs $50ded and limited component warranty.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I talked to one of my good dealer's in Canada this morning.

They just got back from a 5 day riding trip and ran into a group of guys of 12 guys.... they had snow checked 12 new 850's, 7 of these guys were riding new 850 ski doos.

I about dropped the phone.......He either said 7 of the 12 went down or 9 of them.

So i am going to go with the low number and say he said seven of them.

I do know he said seven guys in the group bought new 850 ski doo's

That is not a good thing to hear for a guy that works on Polaris for a living.

And he also said Polaris is out of motors and they didn't know when they would have motors in stock.

Dan

Last edited:
N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I talked to one of good dealer in Canada this morning.

They just got back from a 5 day riding trip and ran into a group of guys of 12 guys.... they had snow checked 12 new 850's, 7 of these guys were riding new 850 ski doos.

I about dropped the phone.......He either said 7 of the 12 went down or 9 of them.

So i am going to go with the low number and say he said seven of them.

I do know he said seven guys in the group bought new 850 ski doo's

That is not a good thing to here for a guy that works on Polaris for a living.

And he also said Polaris is out of motors and they didn't know when they would have motors in stock.

Dan

Can you clarify? So out of 12 sleds total, 7 were doos and 5 were polaris? Yet 7 or 9/12 went down? Really makes no sense without a better explanation of which sleds went down and why. It's also double hearsay (I know a guy who said he knows a guy who said... not exactly most reliable).

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Can you clarify? So out of 12 sleds total, 7 were doos and 5 were polaris? Yet 7 or 9/12 went down? Really makes no sense without a better explanation of which sleds went down and why. It's also double hearsay (I know a guy who said he knows a guy who said... not exactly most reliable).

Theere were 12 guys that ALL had new 850 Polaris RMK's..... 7 went down out of the 12.

Those seven guys with 850 Polaris's went and bought 7 new Ski Doo's

It an't hear say from this Dude..... I can promise you it was for sure it was 7 out of 12 850 Polaris's that went down.

Dan

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I’m not sure why some of you are so protective of Polaris. I know the whole brand loyal thing but obviously they are having some problems with these new motors. And with Polaris’s track record with motor releases and reliability, I don’t know why some are so surprised they would have some issues. Hopefully they will take care of all the guys with problems.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Theere were 12 guys that ALL had new 850 Polaris RMK's..... 7 went down out of the 12.

Those seven guys with 850 Polaris's went and bought 7 new Ski Doo's

It an't hear say from this Dude..... I can promise you it was for sure it was 7 out of 12 850 Polaris's that went down.

Dan
so there's a doo dealer selling 7x poo 850 in Quebec? qc is a small place and my. home can't find them anywhere on FB or classified. There's currently 3 850 pro rmk for sale in Quebec and they are not in the same spot at all.

I have mixed feeling about this

Premium Features