• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real 850 Feedback from you guys!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I love hearing this. There is no way a 850 will beat a axys with a good running turbo. The 850 at elevation might be 130hp where the turbo will be 40-50 more hp. My 800 axys has no turbo lag and would come down to rider in the trees. The 850 skidoo with 175 could not climb with my 162 axys with mtntk turbo and I weight 50lbs more than them. This was in very soft snow today. I am sure the 850 is a great sled but turbo beater in a straight up climb, no way.

I actually did watch a 2018 turbo Axys 800 (155") trench out only halfway up the hill this weekend while a geared down 2019 Axys 850 163 WALKED right over the top right after that.

No lie.

BUT!!!

This situation was all because of the rider. Clearly the turbo guy ran out of talent. Lol

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I actually did watch a 2018 turbo Axys 800 (155") trench out only halfway up the hill this weekend while a geared down 2019 Axys 850 163 WALKED right over the top right after that.

No lie.

BUT!!!

This situation was all because is the rider. Clearly the turbo ran out of talent. Lol

HAHAHA !!! No N/A 850 will ever compete with a 800 Turbo Axys.

Scott.... Honest question for you, did you post twice on the 850 poll that you had 2 motors fail ?

The Pole means nothing unless everyone posts their results.

Dan

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
HAHAHA !!! No N/A 850 will ever compete with a 800 Turbo Axys.

Scott.... Honest question for you, did you post twice on the 850 poll that you had 2 motors fail ?

The Pole means nothing unless everyone posts their results.

Dan

On that hill on Saturday, it was a rider who ran out of talent. He weebled and wobbled and trenched er down with his skies pointed way up...and the 850 rider got er handled. He walked right on past him and over the top. We all laughed and we know it was his own fault. Great times!!!!

I did not post twice in a poll.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott, did you really lose two motors?

Polaris send a short block on the first one when the pto bearing issue happened at 11 miles in early December. They extended my warranty a year and sent a gift card. I'm seeing posts from others that received the same thing for their troubles.
On my second motor, the water pump went down at 220 miles into the new motor (231 on the chassis).
This time, they are sending the replacement shaft and new pistons. Should be back up this week.

Last edited:

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
At around 300 miles now (30 hours) and loving this sled. Only issue is the bottom end fuel map appears to be too rich. I have fouled the odd plug and its a little sloppy in the bottom end off idle.

C
Apr 23, 2018
Nova Scotia
I have about 350 miles and 16 hrs on mine. No complaints at all. Original plugs, never failed to start. Comparable on fuel and oil to 800 and 850 Doo engines. Less vibrations than 850 doo. Been a Doo rider for the last 10 years and find the handling more predictable on the Polaris. Ride may be a touch sharper in the rear skid but the seat foam is stiffer too. It is rich as hell but at the pumps we all take similar amounts.

Easily the most playful sled I have owned, picks the skis up at will. Going to ride this bi##h till the warranty is up.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Got some miles on the new 850 and well...... all is good so far.

Only a few hours and still in break in. At this point, it runs rich on the bottom and the power is nothing crazy over the 800 but again....still in break in mode.

Going to wait until I have some more miles / hours and report back in but as of now, no complaints.

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
15hrs/250miles. Noticed oil line on bottom end popped off and oil everywhere. At the dealer and pics sent to polaris. Waiting for response back. Love the power and handling of the 850. But question the durability now.

Me too! Went riding yesterday, was going to go riding again and noticed oil everywhere when i went to oil it up. Have had lots of issues to date:

-clutch issues first ride out, they ended up swapping secondary out with a new sled, as there was no where with snow for them to test at the time

-belt deflection was way off from factory, and deflection screw kept backing out, had to loctite it.

-sled sat for almost 3 weeks while out of town, went to start it night before going riding, and wouldn't start. Pulled on it for 45 minutes before a full throttle pull finally started it.

-fast forward to yesterday, sled ran like **** all day, been bogging bad in the 4.5-5k rpms as other mentioned, would not pull more than about 7,600 rpms, and now oil everywhere.

Now i am scared as to what wasn't getting oil all day yesterday, because i guarantee based on the amount of oil in the bellypan it was going on most of yesterdays ride which was 95% wide open. Not sure i will every fully trust this sled now...waiting to hear from dealer...

@ approx 16 HRS and 250 miles currently

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I love hearing this. There is no way a 850 will beat a axys with a good running turbo. The 850 at elevation might be 130hp where the turbo will be 40-50 more hp. My 800 axys has no turbo lag and would come down to rider in the trees. The 850 skidoo with 175 could not climb with my 162 axys with mtntk turbo and I weight 50lbs more than them. This was in very soft snow today. I am sure the 850 is a great sled but turbo beater in a straight up climb, no way.

He did mention the tight trees, not a straight up climb...
The 850 poos on boost are stupid fast. Lake race, or hillclimb it would not even be close.
But down in the jungle... its incredible what these stock 850s are doing. Were pulling out of spots that used to be turbo only exits. In our stupid deep snow this last weekend (over 70" in 3 days) these stockers shined like the north star, tractering up slopes and refusing to get stuck.
What does that mean for the average guy? It means this stock sled is opening up new possibilities without the expense of a 4k turbo system. I don't think its a turbo killer performance wise, but practicality wise after riding these things (and i'm going to put the alpha in this category too), one has to ask themselves if they really need more than what this stock sled can do...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
He did mention the tight trees, not a straight up climb...
The 850 poos on boost are stupid fast. Lake race, or hillclimb it would not even be close.
But down in the jungle... its incredible what these stock 850s are doing. Were pulling out of spots that used to be turbo only exits. In our stupid deep snow this last weekend (over 70" in 3 days) these stockers shined like the north star, tractering up slopes and refusing to get stuck.
What does that mean for the average guy? It means this stock sled is opening up new possibilities without the expense of a 4k turbo system. I don't think its a turbo killer performance wise, but practicality wise after riding these things (and i'm going to put the alpha in this category too), one has to ask themselves if they really need more than what this stock sled can do...

Don't NEED more...but....:)

BTW, have you been able to get on an 850 Sidekick yet? I'm thinking you've had a chance to...hoping to hear your thoughts.

P
Oct 10, 2009
Park City, UT
220 miles
All riding @ 8-10k altitude
Break in - rode mostly below 6k rpm for first 90 miles
Mostly running 91 non eth
No bog
No fouled plugs
Motor runs crazy strong compared to my 17 800 with SLP stage 2

Before the last ride the sled didn’t want to start, seemed flooded. Pulled the plugs and they were wet and a litttle dark. Pulled to clean out cylinders, then had to pull with throttle wide open to get it to fire up. Ran like a champ after it fired up.

I’ve heard they can be prone to flooding during break in mapping.

E
Dec 24, 2011
Yakima wa
I have an alpha but Switched back an forth with my buddies 850 quite a bit. I think overall it’s a great sled. It’s got a little more grunt than the 800 axys but very comparable to a piped 800 axys. Other than just running rich the 2 I ride with have been great.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
my 850

Just returned from the Snowies. They had some good snow about a week before. Now, everything is pretty tracked up after this weekend. Bluebird days all 3 days that we rode. Always started, ran great. Seems to get up on the snow quicker than my 2012 RMK. Reacts to input changes very quickly. Hand grips heat up LOTS faster than the past sled. It didn't use much gas or oil. Dealer had the fuel setting on ethanol/premium for first tank (this supposedly retards the timing just a tad). I have since changed it to 91 premium/NON ethanol. It has about 175 miles on it. We ran a lot in the trees, but also did some hill climbing. I did notice that I wasn't quite as tired at the end of the day. The build date on mine was October 2018. I hope everyone's 850 experience is as good as mine!

roostertech

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
so I got a few rides on my Elka stage 4 shocks and the first ride was good on the whooped out trails but way too stiff in the trees ! Did a lot of fiddling and found the springs supplied were way too stiff ! Put the stock springs on the front Elka shocks and the rear oem spring on the rear track Elka shock then put the stock front track shock on ( stock spring would not fit on the shock ) - now it works really good !! Waiting for the softer springs to arrive.

Put the new Teth-air laser setup on and wow !! It works awesome and NO MORE cable connection yay !!! Would highly recommend !! Thank you Chris Wedge at Teth Air !!!

Had the dealer do the software reflash and quite happy with that as well !! Big improvement on the low rpm sputter - pretty much gone now and running great !!

I have 43 hours on my 850 now and really loving it !

Premium Features