• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sidewinder Gen4 comparison

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Any Gen4 lovers get a chance to ride a 2018 and newer 162 X 3” Sidewinder yet?
I found a killer deal on a new SW
And just curious how much more effort it takes for tree riding?
I don’t want it if it’s like a bus..
Thanks for any input!

I should point out—->I love my 165 X
Keeping my 17 for spare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Last winter my buddies axys had the reeds go bad at 3200 miles. Polaris dear also sells Yamaha. So they lent him there demo Yamaha. I have never seen him stuck so much it was funny. He went from a 10 to a 5. Hope this helps.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I had a 153x3 for a while.. It was brutal. You really need to learn how to ride it. Even then when you do "master" it, it is not as fun as the new 2 strokes.

Unless you are tired of changing pistons and have had terrible luck with every 2 stroke you have ever had, or if you ride wide open fields/hills at 10 000+ feet, I'd recommend to stay away from it. Especially considering you've driven the best mountain sled on the market. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I currently have two Gen 4 summits 165" and 175". I rented a Sidewinder in Cooke City in March because I really love the four stroke and was seriously considering buying one. The power was amazing, but after just a short time on the sled, I was glad I'd rented one to try myself. It was definitely not the sled for me. After owning an AXYS and now two Doo's, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Some people love them, and that's great. Just not the sled for me. Felt very heavy compared to my other sleds and did not handle well in the trees in my opinion. As with any purchase, I'll never tell someone how or where to spend their money. However, with the reliability of todays 2 stroke turbo's, I'm not sure why a person would go with a four stroke mountain sled. Eventually their handling will improve and the sled will feel lighter, but again, it's not for me. I did own an MCX 240 Nytro with a 162" so the power is addicting, it's just not for me. I'm 205 and 6', so it wasn't that I couldn't handle the sled, I could. I just don't want to.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Great feedback!
If you ask the Yammy crowd it’s a nobrainer..
I’m gonna pass on the SW
I like/love the lightness of the Gen4
And don’t think I would take to the SW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I know its an old convo but after riding my doo 850, not sure I really want to ride my 310 mcx nytro. I used to think it was a great machine, (and it is for certian things), and I would tree ride it and what not, I really liked big climbs.

Riding my 850 this year and it has been one if the funnest, if not he funnest sleds I've ever owned. Its a blast to ride and at the end of the day I feel soo much better. I don't feel beat up.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Waiting to hear of an Alpha SW 165. With the limited availability of alpha skids, maybe not this year. You know AC has already tried it in their 4s chassis.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Only so much you can do to mask that extra 50 or 75 pounds in the front end. Eventually it is what it is. Can't even imagine what it would have been in the snow we rode today. Everything was diving bad. Including my alpha, the wife's gen 4 and my buddy'spoo 850. It was a handful to go where you wanted in the trees. The sidewinder would have killed you even with the alpha skid.

Premium Features