• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheapest/Lightest/Best shock upgrade option?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Well I bought a set of Raptor TRS Springs -
Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to start out in adjustment with springs as compared to stock springs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the Raptor springs for 2 seasons on my AXYS and went back to the stock because they were too soft to start for my riding style so I had to tighten them to a point that they collapsed the softest part. Then they were on the mid tension section and it seemed that they were making the front end ride too high and that increased steering pressure. If I left them soft they seemed to collapse too much. Nice for trail riding and to be fair mine were from a Proride chassis and they may have changed for the AXYS.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
So is Carls or Raptor the best place to get your stock Walker Evans rebuilt with synthetic oil? Or is there other options. I have the SKS with remote resevoiors and actually happy with the shock and spring package. However, now on year 2 I should have them rebuilt.

I'm fairly sure that Carls uses non-Synth fluid in their shock rebuilds/upgrades for the WE shocks.

They are often on the forums here and may chime in if I'm not correct.

Using higher quality oil with valving and orifice size combo's that do not 'singe' the oil in the first place can go a long way.

Rogers sport center does use the Full-Synthetic shock fluid in their rebuilds/upgrades. https://www.rogerssportcenter.net/

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I'm fairly sure that Carls uses non-Synth fluid in their shock rebuilds/upgrades for the WE shocks.

They are often on the forums here and may chime in if I'm not correct.

Using higher quality oil with valving and orifice size combo's that do not 'singe' the oil in the first place can go a long way.

Rogers sport center does use the Full-Synthetic shock fluid in their rebuilds/upgrades. https://www.rogerssportcenter.net/

Curious, why is everyone so set on a full synthetic being superior in a sled application? Any good shock oil will do the trick considering heat management is not an issue for mountain sleds.

The real issue is valving. Improving flow will decrease friction, preserve oil longer and keep things a lot happier. I don't see friction being high enough, nor heat being high enough to break down the longer polymer chains into smaller ones.

Another way to think of it is in terms of truck shocks. Most people aren't too concerned about rebuilding these after even 10,000 miles. Most come with a conventional oil, and they stay relatively consistent.

If we are racing trucks in Baja or running the snowcross circuit, totally different story. But we aren't.

End of the day, valving is the important part. Type of oil, not really that important so long as its a specific shock oil from a reputable manufacturer.

People may disagree here, but I've rebuilt stuff with both. End of the season, I can't tell a difference.

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I ended up Changing out springs to Raptor TRS Springs - got ski shocks and rear track shock done. Running into an issue getting front track shock back in after installing new spring. What is the best way to do that? Remove limiter or skid all together ? I don’t wanna take more stuff off than need be.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I ended up Changing out springs to Raptor TRS Springs - got ski shocks and rear track shock done. Running into an issue getting front track shock back in after installing new spring. What is the best way to do that? Remove limiter or skid all together ? I don’t wanna take more stuff off than need be.

FTS- Remove the limiter bolt(top bolt). You can take he slack off the FTS by putting a board or bucket under the skid right there to compress the shock, which then makes the limiter loose.

No need to remove the skid for the shocks on the axys.

Power modz has a you tube video showing install of the shocks. Heres the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31HUr6DJ9FA

You may have to copy and paste that link. Otherwise Search power modz shock install

bkpa

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2012
Hartford, S.D.
For light and on a budget.

Do the TRS upgrade on your stock shocks all the way around.... Super cost effective and you'll be happy with the result.

Carls does something similar, but is more costly... they replace the piston with one from the Fox line.... and valve for that... but they use mineral oil rather than synthetic in the service.

Could I get the contact information for this TRS upgrade?

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Where are you guys finding raptor triple rate SKID springs? They are back ordered and I can’t find a set anywhere.

I found them from a guy here on forum - but I noticed they were back ordered as well

Just installed those shocks on my 2017 Axys RMK. Just curious as to what settings you used? Do you make any changes when you go from trail to mountain, if so what?
I watched Shock Therapy by Skinz and have a really good idea about setup, but they never talked much about setting up compression and rebound.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Premium Features