• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone still talkin about 1M 900 mountain cats 2003/2004?

D
Dec 31, 2018
Have a 2003 mountain cat 900 mod (carb) and gonna swap a 2004 900 EFI motor into. My 03 motor has jaws pipes, torque line RKT head and v force reeds I'm also gonna swap over. Am I gonna run into any issues? Do I need a bookdocker or some sort of fuel programmer

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
love this sled just retired mine,IMO dont bother switching to efi unless you are going to leave it stock,unless you have A LOT of tuning expertise. the fuelly with mods definetly needs a fuel controller, and are not easy to set up and AGAIN IMO ,DO NOT RUN consistently. carb motor works way better

Wildman9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
I just picked up an 05 1M, I am taking the efi out and putting my 1035 on carbs in it, I think I will attempt to build a quiet silencer for it and dump it out in the suspension opening of the belly pan, the jaws pipes and that noisy silencer are a bit much for my old ears.

I do have a question if anyone is reading theses posts, I weigh 215 and I don't move the rear suspension a lick, I grabbed the back bumper of the sled when it was in my truck and pulled it down, I moved the suspension of the truck more then the sled. These titanium torsion springs are huge.....looks like a ton of overkill to me unless its a 400+ # rider. Is that normal on these things?

For what it is worth, to the OP, I am taking the efi engine from the 1M and putting carbs on it and putting it in my 03 ZR9, I will keep the efi crap for my 05 ZR9 efi in case it needs parts, I have a boondocker on it. Its ok, but it really isn't the hot setup. Carbs make way more power if you really understand them.

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Wildman, just moved my front spring mounts down since I incorporated them into the front A arm mount. Then also re-machined the triangle block 1/8" deeper all 3 places. I also made a offcenter bushing for the front mount to rotate up/down for extra tuning. I have the titanium springs, and are way stiffer than the original steel springs. But the majority of the problem is the track overtightens when being pushed down do to the front A arm mount is too low on the rails. I can press down to about half of the travel with the mods. But it is time for a newer suspension upgrade! Still a fun sled to ride with a little power! Mike

Wildman9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
that's what I was looking at doing, moving the front spring mount. I think I may take these ti springs out, seems to be overkill for my weight and any extra fuel or cargo that I would put on the back.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Just make sure they did not modify like I did! Replace coil area with larger sized plastic ID liner that fits spring ID too close? Has the sled been ridden lately, or not for yrs. and suspension bushings frozen to shaft? Mike

Wildman9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
I haven't gotten into it yet, I just noticed there was little to no movement and looked quickly and saw a fair amount of grease on the shafts and noticed the size of the springs. Something could be seized.....it is in extremely clean condition for the age of it. I will get the skid out this summer and sort it out. Was just curious on how stiff these titanium springs really are.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
They're plenty stiff, but I never thought they were that bad. You can fix the overtightening problem by swapping with a 2008-2010 m series rear suspension.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I just ran a carb 900 vs a EFI and with the BD box the EFI was on par with the carb. Of course, like many others, I can basically stare at a carb and have it running properly versus a BD box where I shake my head and second guess myself over and over. But since I got the EFI running really good I decided to go that route for my Rev build. I'm starting fairly stock, reeds and a NPP pipe with a controller and adjustable fuel regulator. Once I have that under wraps I'll put bigger pistons in her and cut up my brand new 1010 pipes to fit the chassis.
I wanted to do this in stages as I've seen many a guy struggle with EFI's and mods. Once I get it running strong as a stock bore 900 then I'll add more power etc. I also have a brand new carb bottom end if for some reason I decide against the EFI in the long run.

truckyeah

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2019
i love these sleds a few common mods such as forward mount steering post make them really great sleds

Premium Features