• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Went to the dark side or is it the good side??

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
'16 800 Pro-RMK 163
BMP '18 head cover with BMP low alt. domes
BMP Turbo pipe
BMP Y-Pipe
BMP Bully Dog turbo tune
2018 Thermostat
2019 BD Sidekick Switch using high pressure setting (this has BD's new turbo, not the Garrett)
KMOD IFS and skid
X3.2 track
Pro-Ride QD sprockets

Razorback belt temp gauge
Running a 60% 110 race gas, 40% 91 non-eth gas.

I pulled out the BMP 860 engine and assembled/installed my spare 800.
While the engine was out, I removed the Pro-RMK bulk head plate and bought/installed a bulk head cooler that comes on the SKS 800 models. I'm using this as the inter-cooler heat exchanger instead of the small one BD supplies. This system is isolated from the engine cooling system. I had a friend weld a bung on the side of the BD air box so I could install the temp probe to see intake air charge temps on my Koso X2 temp/boost/AFR gauge.

Here's a few pics of my inter-cooler plumbing:

Took it for the maiden ride Saturday (8 Dec). It was just a trail ride as my GF was with me on her first ever sled ride using my '14 Pro-RMK. I was seeing 58-63 degree intake air charge temps and 124 belt temps. Highest boost I saw was 7.5 but like I mentioned, I was on the trail and had no load against the engine.

Here's a few more pics of the sled/turbo/gauge systems:

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I've running a Tied secondary on my sled since new, but after reading the clutching threads on here, I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a a full Indy Specialties turbo clutch kit.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Which ones, inter-cooler, turbo cooling or the large air hoses?

I need to get a boost gauge and would like to run an AFR gauge as I need to do some trouble shooting. I've seen the Koso gauge that you have on your sled. Have you used it before? Do you like it? Where did you tie in to the read the boost and where did you put the 02 sensor? Also, what brackets are you using for the 2 gauges? Loving your set up

I've been running the Razor Back gauge on my turbo'd razor and turbo'd sled for the last 4 years. Before using this gauge I blew way to many belts. Since using the gauge I haven't blown one belt. Have warn plenty out but was able to change them before they actually blew up.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I need to get a boost gauge and would like to run an AFR gauge as I need to do some trouble shooting. I've seen the Koso gauge that you have on your sled. Have you used it before? Do you like it? Where did you tie in to the read the boost and where did you put the 02 sensor? Also, what brackets are you using for the 2 gauges? Loving your set up

I've been running the Razor Back gauge on my turbo'd razor and turbo'd sled for the last 4 years. Before using this gauge I blew way to many belts. Since using the gauge I haven't blown one belt. Have warn plenty out but was able to change them before they actually blew up.

So far I like the Koso X2. You can change the large display to show either AFR or boost. You can also set parameters where the warning lights will illuminate for AFR, boost and temps. I comes with everything but the Koso 2-stroke O2 sensor adapter (Sensor Adapter), which is mandatory.

I cut the boost hose that ties into the inter-cooler put in a tee and ran another hose to the boost sensor.

The O-2 sensor is in the manifold that's between the turbo and the muffler. The 2019 kits have a new longer manifold and a new shorter muffler. I had a friend TIG the supplied stainless bung onto the manifold.

I don't have pic of it, but we cut some small aluminum shaft he has to make a bung, TIG welded that bung to the PTO side of the BD supplied air box, drilled/taped it for 1/8" NPT and installed the temp sensor. I was seeing around 58 to 64 degree intake air temps, so it looks like my bulk head cooler idea is working.

I got the bracket from the same friend that has them as gauge lifters for Arctic Cats. For now it works but requires another mod and some powder coating.

I've had the belt temp gauge for a couple of seasons, but never got around to installing it. Personally, it could be a pain to install on a N/A sled as I drilled a hole right behind the oil tank, so the sensor points directly down onto the belt as it leaves the secondary. The stock air box ducting fills this space where I put the sensor. On my maiden trail ride, belt temp stayed right around 124 or so degrees.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I just got my gauge. Where did you tie into the power for your gauge?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I just got my gauge. Where did you tie into the power for your gauge?

I connected it to the DC Power connector down by the left shock tower. I have the connectors to do this. Initially I connected it to the RCA power plug in the bag by the steering post but it wouldn't provide enough to power the gauge.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
I connected it to the DC Power connector down by the left shock tower. I have the connectors to do this. Initially I connected it to the RCA power plug in the bag by the steering post but it wouldn't provide enough to power the gauge.

Ok. Great. Thanks for the info

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
These turbo kits are great and the power is addicting you will be smiling every time you hit the throttle.

Premium Features