• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Live SpotMe Report from oneal30

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
This is an automated post from my SPOT messenger device via the SnowestOnline "SpotMe" Service<br>:: Become a Premium Member and start using this feature TODAY!
<div align="center" style="margin: 5px 5px 5px 5px;">
<table class="tborder" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" border="0" width="80%">
<tr>
<td class="thead" style="text-align:center">
<iframe width="100%" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="/spot/spot.html?threadid="></iframe>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>

O

oneal30

Nov 6, 2009
Rapid City, SD
SPOT 2 Test

I think this feature has a TON of potential. There needs to be a way of guarding against overreacting to a HELP call as well though. Whoever I choose for my HELP contact list, will have all the local numbers to the Search and Rescue units before I leave. They've been instructed to call these numbers if I issue a help from my SPOT.
<O:p</O:p
It's a fine line to walk. There's no reason to launch a huge rescue effort for someone who just might have to stay the night sometimes. If you are prepared, staying overnight in the wilderness is not the end of the world. Yes, it may be stressful and scary, but who's to say we need to risk the safety and resources of other people because your temporarily lost or separated from your group. <O:p

Since having this device, I've wondered what circumstance would make me hit the help vs. the SOS key. Obviously if someone is seriously injured and can't get out the SOS key is great. However, in what circumstance would the HELP key be useful?<O:p</O:p

I have thoughts what I would use it for, but am more curious what others might think?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Thanks,<O:p</O:p

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Our group has had a call list in place for many years. It's a list of folks whom will be there to help should anyone need it. All of these folks also have the proper gear and training. It's understood that no one is to risk their own life. Not just anyone was added to this list....we all know we can rely on each other if needed. We also have a 2 way radio channel # set up...so everyone knows if they go out to assist, to put their radios on that channel. We also have Garmin Rhino 530 HCX's now as well.

For my HELP button, it goes to my In Laws and my son. They have a copy of our list. "Help" will be used ONLY in a non-life threatening situation....and this has also been discussed. This could be a sled down, stuck in a ravine, or a variety of other things. If we press this button, it will be to get assistance....not put anyone else in danger. If needed, the hubby and I could easily spend the night with the amount of gear we carry (which our family also knows).

If I hit 911 (SOS), that means send the chopper....plain and simple. While this goes out to the proper agencies via SPOT, my other 2 contacts are set up to get this info as well....so we will also have folks coming that way.

It's extremely important to discuss these things in advance with those whom you set up to receive your messages. Leave nothing to chance, these discussions are a part of being prepared. :) (Posted this on your other thread too)

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
that plan is all good if you ride with a fixed set of friends or limited areas, I live by the "have truck will traval" moto, I ride reguarly in 5 states with a long list of friends, and every one of those groups has a different set of rules for there group, so I am screwed when it comes to a contact list for my SPOT:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features