• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP pipe issue

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Has anyone ever seen a pipe do this? I have seen them crack next to a weld but not out away from a weld like this. I was riding yesterday sled was running good pulling 8400 and out of nowhere it dropped to 7900 to 8000 rpm and the tone changed. I knew something was wrong and I stopped and found this. The sled is a 2017 axys with about 800 miles (500ish on the pipe). I am not here to bash SLP, just asking if anyone has had this happen. I am going to contact SLP and see if they will help me out. I am confident they will do something for me.

20180310_130228.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Has anyone ever seen a pipe do this? I have seen them crack next to a weld but not out away from a weld like this. I was riding yesterday sled was running good pulling 8400 and out of nowhere it dropped to 7900 to 8000 rpm and the tone changed. I knew something was wrong and I stopped and found this. The sled is a 2017 axys with about 800 miles (500ish on the pipe). I am not here to bash SLP, just asking if anyone has had this happen. I am going to contact SLP and see if they will help me out. I am confident they will do something for me.

Mine cracked exactly the same way last weekend.

9f0546f991d4d80f1504fbacf945bcae.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
If there is 2.... I bet there will be many more to fail like that.

Were both of these pipes the updated version with the X welded across the egt bung or the double thick plate at the EGT bung?

These failures look like they are heat cycle or metal fatigue related failures.

I'm guessing they will warranty them.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Mine is not the updated with the X weld at the egt probe. It looks like metal fatigue, it is very thin in that section. I'm guessing thin metal and harmonics played a role in this failure. I will send SLP pictures this week and see what they have to say. I do feel better knowing I am not the only one this happened to. My friend had his crack around the bung for the egt last year but it was the old design without the x weld and they sent him a new pipe (updated version).

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
If there is 2.... I bet there will be many more to fail like that.

Were both of these pipes the updated version with the X welded across the egt bung or the double thick plate at the EGT bung?

These failures look like they are heat cycle or metal fatigue related failures.

I'm guessing they will warranty them.

Mine is the updated, 2 bands, x weld and thicker plate version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nick04cobra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2013
My pipe cracked last year, they sent me a new one.
This year my muffler cracked and they will not respond to me.

They have poor customer service in my eyes and poor products that don’t last.

I will not purchase SLP products again.

SLP

Premium Member
Hi guys, I saw your thread and thought I would answer some of your questions. In the last 4 snow seasons with the Axys 800 we have learned a lot. Almost every issue we have seen with an exhaust cracking has come back to engine movement and subsequent contact with the chassis. This will typically leave witness marks on the pipe where it has been rubbing. This chassis contact amplifies the harmonics in the exhaust, causing it to crack.

The Axys motor mounts are fairly soft and can allow quite a bit of engine movement if worn. The more miles, the more horsepower and the longer and deeper lug your track is, the more movement and wear you will see. Check your motor mounts and replace them if they show any sign of wear. We have also seen a huge increase in exhaust durability with an SLP torque arm. I would highly recommend installing a torque arm regardless of what brand exhaust is installed (even the stock pipe) as the above issues are the same regardless and you will see exhaust durability and performance improvements.

We have also seen some chassis/installation problems that have negatively affected the pipe. Some aftermarket components (particularly front bumpers) create problems with either not enough space between the bumper and the exhaust or inability to properly use the supplied center spring hold-down pipe bracket. Some customers have also skipped or mis-installed some of the hold-down springs, allowing excessive exhaust movement. Also make sure to periodically check the vibro-isolator band in the center of the pipe. Tighten the clamp as needed. Check the insulation strap under the clamp and replace if it shows any sign of wear. Another fairly common issue is missing the re-installation of the stock grafoil seal on the SLP pipe. Neglecting re-installation of this seal results in a metal to metal connection between the pipe and silencer, which will transfer additional harmonics into the exhaust, not to mention the poor performance from lack of a good pipe to silencer seal.

We have been building the most current version of our pipe for about a year and have not seen any failures. It has only one band (forward of the exhaust probe) and does not have a y-shaped weld on the EGT probe bung. The warranty on our exhaust systems applies to the original owner and lasts for one year from the date of purchase. Any customer that has had an issue should contact SLP directly and we will work through the replacement process as quickly as possible. For anyone with a pipe beyond those criteria, we have been very fair in getting them a goodwill replacement rate based on their circumstances.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP
adam@slp.cc
(208)529-0244

nick04cobra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2013
Hi guys, I saw your thread and thought I would answer some of your questions. In the last 4 snow seasons with the Axys 800 we have learned a lot. Almost every issue we have seen with an exhaust cracking has come back to engine movement and subsequent contact with the chassis. This will typically leave witness marks on the pipe where it has been rubbing. This chassis contact amplifies the harmonics in the exhaust, causing it to crack.

The Axys motor mounts are fairly soft and can allow quite a bit of engine movement if worn. The more miles, the more horsepower and the longer and deeper lug your track is, the more movement and wear you will see. Check your motor mounts and replace them if they show any sign of wear. We have also seen a huge increase in exhaust durability with an SLP torque arm. I would highly recommend installing a torque arm regardless of what brand exhaust is installed (even the stock pipe) as the above issues are the same regardless and you will see exhaust durability and performance improvements.

We have also seen some chassis/installation problems that have negatively affected the pipe. Some aftermarket components (particularly front bumpers) create problems with either not enough space between the bumper and the exhaust or inability to properly use the supplied center spring hold-down pipe bracket. Some customers have also skipped or mis-installed some of the hold-down springs, allowing excessive exhaust movement. Also make sure to periodically check the vibro-isolator band in the center of the pipe. Tighten the clamp as needed. Check the insulation strap under the clamp and replace if it shows any sign of wear. Another fairly common issue is missing the re-installation of the stock grafoil seal on the SLP pipe. Neglecting re-installation of this seal results in a metal to metal connection between the pipe and silencer, which will transfer additional harmonics into the exhaust, not to mention the poor performance from lack of a good pipe to silencer seal.

We have been building the most current version of our pipe for about a year and have not seen any failures. It has only one band (forward of the exhaust probe) and does not have a y-shaped weld on the EGT probe bung. The warranty on our exhaust systems applies to the original owner and lasts for one year from the date of purchase. Any customer that has had an issue should contact SLP directly and we will work through the replacement process as quickly as possible. For anyone with a pipe beyond those criteria, we have been very fair in getting them a goodwill replacement rate based on their circumstances.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Adam Wood
Sales Manager, SLP
adam@slp.cc
(208)529-0244

Stock ones seem to last just fine.
Thanks for not getting back to me on my Muffler.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Stock ones seem to last just fine.

Thanks for not getting back to me on my Muffler.

My assumption of slp response...

Stock pipes last because the factory properly instals gaskets, springs and vibration isolators correctly and you retards just can’t get it right. :wacko:

Last edited:

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
Mine cracked exactly like the pics. SLP got me a new one. If they want to keep customers they need to warranty these. Clearly a design/materials weakness.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
:face-icon-small-dis
Mine cracked exactly like the pics. SLP got me a new one. If they want to keep customers they need to warranty these. Clearly a design/materials weakness.

SLP’s response says nothing about a design or material flaw. It’s pointing everything to installation errors. :crazy:

Last edited:

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
That seems a lot like Polaris blaming grooves in their track on excessive sidehill riding or running the track too loose....excuses....excuses....I'm not buying.

Premium Features