• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

secondary reverse question?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My buddys 11 pro is having reverse issues. It is acting like my m8 did with the rkt torsional in. When in reverse he backs up and u hear metal to metal screeching and the sheaves open up and the belt is half way down into the secondary. We even set the belt deflection realy tight to get the sheaves together so whatever is inside the clutch would have more to catch on??? But it didn't work. That is what I had to do to my cat. Could something be broken inside the clutch?

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
My buddys 11 pro is having reverse issues. It is acting like my m8 did with the rkt torsional in. When in reverse he backs up and u hear metal to metal screeching and the sheaves open up and the belt is half way down into the secondary. We even set the belt deflection realy tight to get the sheaves together so whatever is inside the clutch would have more to catch on??? But it didn't work. That is what I had to do to my cat. Could something be broken inside the clutch?

Did he by any chance swap his helix out for a different one? The rollers are not engaging in the locking groove in the helix. Not all helix's come with the groove cut in them! If it's stock, that wouldn't be the case, but I have seen the edges on the groove get worn or chipped to where they don't want to catch. Pull the helix out and take a look at it.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Yes, I have swapped out the stock helix for Team Twin helix. I will take it apart today.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I took it apart, couldn't see anything obvious. The notch in the helix is much more pronounced in the stock helix than the twin. There was also some black plastic like residue inside. Maybe I should buy a single helix 58-40-46 so that it will have the deeper groove. Opinions?? How much would deflection affect the reverse engagement?

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

S

Sixat38

Nov 26, 2007
Spokane
Yes, the reverse notch is probably your problem looking at the helix on the right. Per what ultrarider said. Some of the early helixes were machined this way. The rollers will jump out of the groove when in reverse and suck the belt down in the secondary. I have a buddy who's 900 does this. He can use it if there is not much load on the track but you load it a little and it slips out. That's my guess anyway.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Or call team. Those notches really look shallow imo. I've seen other guys that got a twin track helix that either had to return them for a different one, or just file the notch deeper. Shouldn't have to do that!

Last edited:
C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
That hardly looks like an ER helix. something is not right whether it be you got the wrong helix or they didnt machine it out enough.

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
My 11 that i just bought does this exact same thing, the guy i bought it from said he had the carls set-up, i will be digging into it tonight.

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
I took it apart, couldn't see anything obvious. The notch in the helix is much more pronounced in the stock helix than the twin. There was also some black plastic like residue inside. Maybe I should buy a single helix 58-40-46 so that it will have the deeper groove. Opinions?? How much would deflection affect the reverse engagement?

View attachment 168214

View attachment 168215

Just pulled mine, mine too has the very shallow reverse ramp, you can see were the roller rolls right through the reverse notch.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I have the Carl's helix as well. Just pulled it out and reverse notches are the same as the pic above. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll report after this weekend.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I talked to Curt at Fasttrax (where I got my helix) and he said he has never seen or heard of that problem before and he has sold many of these helix's. He was willing to machine the notch deeper and I'm sure that this would cure the problem. My question is, will this make the twin helix weaker since there isn't much meat between them like there is on the stock single helix. I called Team Industries tech line today, left a message and have yet to hear back from them.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I never did notice the depth of the reverse notch on the twin track on my '06 900, but it never popped while in reverse over 4 seasons of use.

Premium Features