• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1100 turbo clutching question

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Since a stock 1100 turbo has the same HP up to 10,000 feet, does that mean there would be no clutch adjustments needed for riding at sea level vs 10,000 feet?

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING MEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

TwistedM1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2008
Battle Mountain Nevada
clutching

That is a interesting question. I would assume that if it is the same HP all the way to 10,000 feet the clutching sould be good. And I am pretty sure I will have one. Just want to ride one first. Looks good. Speedwerxs has a program that has 210 hp for 400.00 pretty cheap HP. Just my opinion.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Since a stock 1100 turbo has the same HP up to 10,000 feet, does that mean there would be no clutch adjustments needed for riding at sea level vs 10,000 feet?

I can't imagine that you can run the same clutching at sea level and 10k feet...even when running boost and negating the horsepower loss.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I would think clutching would change somewhat due to off boost power, and increased spool time at high elevation. The same clutching may work OK at both levels, but to optimize performance, I would assume some changes would be necessary.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Turbo's are altitude compensating to a point. You will not push the exact same numbers with that large of a elevation change. Spool up will be slower and your engine will run much differently. Air density and temperature is a huge factor associated with elevation change. Your torque curve will be differnent as will your RPM which will effect your clutching.

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
are you going to buy one??

I thought about it briefly, but probably not.
I would love to not have the power loss at altitude.
I ride some in the UP of Michigan and mostly Colorado
(that is why I asked the clutch question) and would love to have the
power at 13,000 feet that I have in Michigan.

But I am more of a power rider than hillclimber and while I will buy a new sled for next year I dont' think I will buy 2 at around $13,000 each to be covered.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
100% incorrect? I actually went to school for this ****, Work for Caterpillar and know exactly what im talking about. Oh and i also own a EFI turbo sled and know first hand that even the engine will only compensate to a point also. Why the **** do you think you have a fuel box with different maps to adjust for elevation? You need to go read a ****ing book a sled at sea level and 10,000 ft will not perform the same whatsoever. Also do you know that your turbo will have to spin almost twice as fast at 10,000 ft then at sea level to try to compensate???? I ride at 6-9 thousand feet and when i go back to ride around boise area 3-5 thousand i rev higher and have to adjust my fuel box accordingly for my fuel.... These are simple facts, you should know them before you try to bash on someone.

I

IdahoPowderHound

Jul 3, 2008
Alpine Wyoming
Set aside from that, you will not see much difference in clutching just slight adjustments. Weight in your primary will be the biggest factor im sure and minimal at that. But to expect that sled to run the same at both extreams of elevation would be alot to ask. But what would i know, Ive only been ridding for 15 years and owned multiple mod sleds and two turbo sleds.......:face-icon-small-win

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
100% incorrect? I actually went to school for this ****, Work for Caterpillar and know exactly what im talking about. Oh and i also own a EFI turbo sled and know first hand that even the engine will only compensate to a point also. Why the **** do you think you have a fuel box with different maps to adjust for elevation? You need to go read a ****ing book a sled at sea level and 10,000 ft will not perform the same whatsoever. Also do you know that your turbo will have to spin almost twice as fast at 10,000 ft then at sea level to try to compensate???? I ride at 6-9 thousand feet and when i go back to ride around boise area 3-5 thousand i rev higher and have to adjust my fuel box accordingly for my fuel.... These are simple facts, you should know them before you try to bash on someone.

you went to school for what and where?

LMFAO! you got alot to learn kid, and working at a cat dealer is nothing above wrenching at a ford dealership...

M
Feb 27, 2010

u are correct but if they are running something like the boondocker digital boost controller set up it reads berametric pres and keeps the same boost at elevation . i think they are running this style of setup.a normal set up u well hav to pull and add fuel at diff elevations if u were running diff boost.this new set up is way more user friendly.

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
u are correct but if they are running something like the boondocker digital boost controller set up it reads berametric pres and keeps the same boost at elevation . i think they are running this style of setup.a normal set up u well hav to pull and add fuel at diff elevations if u were running diff boost.this new set up is way more user friendly.

They have to be running an ebc or something similar. No way are they going to kick out a factory turbo and allow you to adjust your own fuel settings and still have a warranty department.

D

duc848

Dec 3, 2007
Brooklyn, New York

Not to get off topic here but after reading this i noticed something.

It says you ride at 6-9K feet. Then it says in the Boise area are you riding at 3-5K feet. Where in the Boise area are you riding at 3-5K feet? Horseshoe Bend hill or something? Just curious.

C

Chubby

Nov 26, 2007
Albany mn.
I ran the same clutching from Minnesota to Cooke on my Apex, There was slight changes to be made as far as cranking up the boost but It worked great both places.......... You never will have the bet of Both worlds but I think this is the best you will find for a stock sled

Premium Features