• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil consumption

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
I'm just wondering if anyone who has an e-tech that has been broken in has noticed excessive oil consumption. My buddy is burning 2 quarts of oil per tank of fuel and he has over 500 miles on the thing.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Last ride out from 200-245 miles (still in break-in) I only used about 1/2" of oil in the reservoir with a mix of riding. This seems to be down quite a bit from previous rides. If he rides WFO all the time it will use alot of oil, as it must to survive.

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
I'm in Salt Lake city now, but he rides in ak and they got a bunch of snow last week. I would assume he had it pinned a lot, but not all day. He has a skidoo dealer looking into it right now, but hasn't heard anything yet. Hope those things are better then that on oil or it's gonna be a spendy sled to ride. This may be a dumb question, but I wonder how much oil the crank takes.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I don't know....but have never heard of a engine failing from too MUCH oil.
I'm sure there will be some glitches, but Doo will get it right.

M
Nov 27, 2007
Vernal, UT
Yeah, I hear you. It seems doo eventually gets it right.

Do only gets things right after their customers do all the R&D with their own dime. At least thats how it was with my 08. Must have went through $1000 in belts before some one got it figured out. I still haven't got a recall from doo about that.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I'm just wondering if anyone who has an e-tech that has been broken in has noticed excessive oil consumption. My buddy is burning 2 quarts of oil per tank of fuel and he has over 500 miles on the thing.

My oil and fuel consumption rate is identical to what I got on my 08 Ptek. 10mpg trail riding, 6.5mpg climbing/boondocking, 35:1 oil consumption.

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Do only gets things right after their customers do all the R&D with their own dime. At least thats how it was with my 08. Must have went through $1000 in belts before some one got it figured out. I still haven't got a recall from doo about that.

Unfortunately it seems like all the manufacturers let the consumer do the final R&D.

Premium Features