• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float suspension updating - tech talk

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Lets share technical info about upgrades you have made to rear suspension. Mainly Float suspension.

Here's my "story":
I'm going to update my suspension and like to share thoughts and get hint what to do with it. I'd like to add weight transfer of my skid and get rid of front shock bottoming out. Also rear suspension is too stiff (which is one reason not getting good weight transfer?). I play 90% of time in trees so good weight transfer is really important part of gaining fun factor.

I converted my skid to Float year ago with M -08 model Fox Float in rear. Did the geo mod but I was not happy with result. Noticed some time ago it has really small orifice holes in its piston: only 0.039". For example -09 has 0.046" holes. I have some old shocks laying around and thought why not getting piston from one of those. They have about 0.055" holes. Hoping to gain speed and sensitivity of the shock.

My recipe for front shock is to replace it with another. I have Firecat stock shock with reservoir hanging around and will be using it if I don't find something better one. Sno Pro (racer) shock would be really good one. Difference between stock shock and Firecat shock because F shock has reservoir has longer rod. Measured shocks yesterday and noticed there's only about 1cm difference in total length but after installing shock into its place noticed over inch difference in travel. There's room in tunnel for even longer front shock and I'm going to check if I can replace rod with even longer one. I'll drill upper hole open so I'll get more room for longer shock. Still with longer shock suspension will be like skid mounted into lowest hole with stock shock.

So what have you done to your suspension and did it work?

Here's a pic of front shocks. As you can see the difference is really small but this gets you totally different result.
main.php

Premium Features